The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-16-2020, 11:40 AM

In my view, guitar companies have a difficult task. If they build quality products, new players will probably find out about them and spend money. On the other hand, what happens after that ? What is there to entice the owner of a good quality guitar to by another one from the same company or another company ? Often the big players are competing with themselves. It not that often that a guitar just wears out and you need to buy a new one, unless you're a gigging professional and play all the time.

Martin does take a more laid back approach. " We're still here. If you like our guitars, wouldn't you want to buy another one ? " Taylor is going with the " New and Improved ! " Approach. They also look to have a wider selection of features that could produce a different sound. Body shapes and sizes as well and different wood combinations. You could look at there web site and pick a very different combination that you have now and have a very different guitar. So, they keep interest up by making sure you know they do different things.

Both approaches work for those companies. I did find the " amazing " tonal changes that were part of the V brace change a bit over the top, but I also understand why they felt they had to do it. The most common response , even in these forums, when the very idea of someone doing a different bracing pattern is, " Well the X brace has worked for 150 years. I see no reason to change anything ! " Taylor had to have reasons to give players as to why they were changing things.
1986 Ovation 1758 12 String
2007 Walden G2070
2008 Guild D55 Prototype
1998 Guild Starfire IV
2016 Guild Newark St. X-175 Sunburst
1996 Ovation 1768-7LTD " custom "

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion