The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-01-2020, 06:15 PM
Charter Member

I believe Long Jon said he strapped one on his neck to improve his singing voice, but didn’t have any luck.
Old 09-01-2020, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
I believe Long Jon said he strapped one on his neck to improve his singing voice, but didn’t have any luck.
Well, even a ToneRite can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

I miss LJ, he was great.
Old 09-01-2020, 07:19 PM

I wonder if the Tonewood Amp that generates chorusing, echo and reverb out of the sound hole would also have a similar effect with the additional effect vibrations.
Old 09-01-2020, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1 View Post
I've searched on Joe Glaser's comment but can't seem to find it or any more detailed ToneRite comments. I mainly see your quote or something similar here or on other message boards. As it stands it's hard to know if he's recommending it or not.

It seems clear to me that the utility of the ToneRite is to enhance the sound of the guitar, and not simply alter it. From their website:

The main problem here is that the evaluation of its effectiveness is subjective and prone to a lot of biases.

The only experience I have with this product is anecdotal, or before and after recordings, which I both wish there were more of, and also think are difficult to do in a useful way.

At any rate, I don't think it's outlandish for someone here to question its utility, or its ability to enhance tone if you'd prefer. And it's certainly no more outlandish than advertising that the ToneRite will improve the playability of your guitar
Glaser made the comment in a past edition of the Tone Quest Report. The comments were hardly an endorsement. However, I've seen one in use inside Walter Carter's shop (Carter Vintage Guitars)in Nashville, much to my surprise.

Like anything else you'll read on it, or personally experience, it's merely just one opinion among many.

Personally, I would never use one and hope even more, that I never feel I need to.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 09-01-2020, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
Personally, I would never use one and hope even more, that I never feel I need to.
Well now that's very interesting. Can you elaborate on that?
Old 09-02-2020, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Well now that's very interesting. Can you elaborate on that?
I have never bought a guitar after playing several contenders, deciding that was the guitar that produced the sound I was seeking, and then started seeking ways I could fundamentally change the sound, apart from new strings and a proper setup.

That includes new ones or old ones, the latter most likely not a ToneRite candidate.

If someone feels that a ToneRite is no more "invasive" than a set of strings, I'm no one to pass judgement on that opinion, I just hold a different one.
Giffin Vikta
‘91 Les Paul Standard
Fender Fat Strat
Old 09-02-2020, 06:32 AM

Quote:
I have never bought a guitar after playing several contenders, deciding that was the guitar that produced the sound I was seeking, and then started seeking ways I could fundamentally change the sound, apart from new strings and a proper setup.

That includes new ones or old ones, the latter most likely not a ToneRite candidate.

If someone feels that a ToneRite is no more "invasive" than a set of strings, I'm no one to pass judgement on that opinion, I just hold a different one.
Thanks for the reply. I guess that makes sense, I'm just trying to reconcile that with your objection to 89bruin calling the Tonerite, "unnecessary and of questionable utility".

Does that hinge on the word "utility"? Had he remarked that it was "unnecessary and of questionable benefit", would you have been in agreement with that?

I'm not trying to badger you, I just had this impression you were a fervent supporter. Maybe you just disagree when people write stuff like, "the ToneRite has no effect". Although from all the (subjective) reviews, people seem to often think it affects some guitars more than others, and some very little if at all.
Old 09-02-2020, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I guess that makes sense, I'm just trying to reconcile that with your objection to 89bruin calling the Tonerite, "unnecessary and of questionable utility".

Does that hinge on the word "utility"? Had he remarked that it was "unnecessary and of questionable benefit", would you have been in agreement with that?

I'm not trying to badger you, I just had this impression you were a fervent supporter. Maybe you just disagree when people write stuff like, "the ToneRite has no effect". Although from all the (subjective) reviews, people seem to often think it affects some guitars more than others, and some very little if at all.
I don't think you're badgering at all.

Questionable benefit would have better described the device, IMO.

If I agreed with "ToneRite has no effect" as a blanket statement, presented as fact, I'd have to believe that the people who say they do hear an appreciable difference, don't know what they're talking about and aren't hearing what they claim to hear. Think bridge-pin debate. I'm a "fervent supporter" of accepting what anyone says THEY hear. Somehow that seems up for debate at times.

When Joe make the comment that I quoted, it cleared up the TR debate for me. He gave credence to its function, but (in his opinion) that you may or may not like the end result. Thus, one more reason I personally would never use one.
Giffin Vikta
‘91 Les Paul Standard
Fender Fat Strat
Old 09-02-2020, 06:54 AM

Quote:
I don't think you're badgering at all.

Questionable benefit would have better described the device, IMO.

If I agreed with "ToneRite has no effect" as a blanket statement, presented as fact, I'd have to believe that the people who say they do hear an appreciable difference, don't know what they're talking about and aren't hearing what they claim to hear. Think bridge-pin debate. I'm a "fervent supporter" of accepting what anyone says THEY hear. Somehow that seems up for debate at times.

When Joe make the comment that I quoted, it cleared up the TR debate for me. He gave credence to its function, but (in his opinion) that you may or may not like the end result. Thus, one more reason I personally would never use one.
I get you. I keep thinking of ways to best objectively test this device. I think perhaps it can be done. In the end, there most likely won't be a definitive conclusion, but there might be a general consensus of some patterns.
Old 09-02-2020, 09:22 AM

Quote:
It's might be hard to tell from the context, but I'm sure Goodallboy is correct. That poster, Long Jon, had a very fine and dry wit. Thinking of you, LJ!
I appreciate that,, but I bought it hook like and sinker. LOL!

Now that the cats out of the bag,, that WAS pretty funny...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion