The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 08-19-2020, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueser100 View Post
I've always been curious about ham radio but never had the time. I have the time now and it might be useful during emergency situations to know how to do it, when usual lines of communication go down.

Anyone here know about ham radio and/or where to go to learn more about it?
W8MRH is my call sign. I studied for and passed the first two exams to assist in being a citizen responder. We do search and rescue (SAR) in various forms, disaster services, and other responder types of training. We have slowly moved the organization to using handhelds in the field and mobile stations as needed.

Though I am sure it's been suggested in this thread, finding a few local clubs is key in keeping your interest going. It's easy to take the first few steps, but then when you say "What now?" it's nice to have some in-person people to help.
Old 08-20-2020, 09:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderMonkey View Post
W8MRH is my call sign. I studied for and passed the first two exams to assist in being a citizen responder. We do search and rescue (SAR) in various forms, disaster services, and other responder types of training. We have slowly moved the organization to using handhelds in the field and mobile stations as needed.

Though I am sure it's been suggested in this thread, finding a few local clubs is key in keeping your interest going. It's easy to take the first few steps, but then when you say "What now?" it's nice to have some in-person people to help.
Good advice. I did a search and was surprised to see many clubs in my area. Last night I even found a few amateur radio repeaters (new lingo, not sure what it means) on one of my police/fire radio apps on my iPhone. Many of the connections threw error messages so I didn't hear anything. It would be cool to be able to listen in on some hams so I can hear what it's all about.
Old 08-20-2020, 10:08 AM

nw1k here, mostly inactive. I see you've already found some clubs near you, so contact them and see when/if they will be having licensing classes, many do, although the COVID thing may disrupt that.
As to emergency use, when 9-11 struck, the phone lines here in CT were overwhelmed, and in NYC virtually all the emergency radio links relied on antennas on top of the WTC, so hams were a necessary part of the whole rescue operation.
Brad
Guild F212: 1964 (Hoboken), Guild Mark V: 1975 (Westerly), Guild Artist Award: 1975 (Westerly), Guild F50: 1976 (Westerly), Guild F512: 2010 (New Hartford), Pawless Mesquite Special: 2012, 90s Epi HR Custom (Samick), 2014 Guild OOO 12-fret Orpheum (New Hartford), 2013 12 fret Orpheum Dread (New Hartford), Guild BT258E, 8 string baritone, 1994 Guild D55, Westerly, 2023 Cordoba GK Negra Pro.
Old 08-29-2020, 12:16 AM
Charter Member

Here's a fun bit of trivia to share where musicians and Morse code aficionados hang out in the same room:

Every medium to large air terminal has a radio transmitter known as the NDB (Non-Directional Beacon) continually broadcasting their unique three-letter identifier (LAX, SFO, SEA, DFW, ORD, DEN, etc., etc.) in Morse code to be used as a primitive navigational aid for aviators.

So a radio tuned into the Portland (OR) NDB would receive Morse code spelling PDX:
. - - .
- . .
- . . -

An aviator tuned into Toronto Pearson International Airport's NDB would receive Morse code for YYZ, their unique three-letter identifier. Hence the title of Rush's song 'YYZ' on their Moving Pictures album, AND that staccato Morse code tempo in the abrupt, oddball song intro.

Rush has always been rightfully proud of their affectionate "Nerd Rock" label.

Last edited by tinnitus; 08-29-2020 at 12:33 AM.
Old 08-29-2020, 06:51 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Joe Walsh is a ham with the call sign WB6ACU. He got into it when he was a teen and his family moved to New York City. As a lonely, latchkey teen he noticed a wire coming out of a neighbor's window and knocked on the guy's door to asked what it was about. The guy took him under his wing and helped him get his license. Joe collects, restores, and operates vintage tube Ham receivers and transmitters. He actually pulled a Ham joke way back in the March 1972 issue of Guitar Player Magazine (my first issue), Joe listed the gear used to record Funk #49 as a Telecaster and a Vibroplex. I spent years looking for a Fender Vibroplex before I discovered that the Vibroplex is the standard horizontal Morse code key! Joe is famous for sneaking in little secret messages in his songs and in the inner "land" of his vinyl records (the space inside the locked final circle). If you listen to "Giant Bohemoth" on the Barnstorm album you can hear him tapping out "Register and vote" in Morse code. On Songs for a Dying Planet he also taps the message "Register and vote for me." At that point he had actually officially run for vice president on the "free gas for everyone" platform. His signature Duesenberg guitar has his name inlaid in Morse code on the fingerboard.

When I was a child my father built a ham receiver. We listened to stations all over the world and used WWV to set our watches.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 08-29-2020, 10:35 AM

Default Anyone here a ham radio operator?

Joe is quite the techno nerd. He’s very good friends with the folks at Heil and works closely with them. I know a bunch of folks who have spent tine with him as he is a frequent visitor to ARRL headquarters which is located about five miles from me. If you ever meet him, just start talking gear and you will have a friend.

Bob - the Vibroplex story is a real hoot!

Rick
WA1ISD
Old 08-29-2020, 11:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinnitus View Post
Here's a fun bit of trivia to share where musicians and Morse code aficionados hang out in the same room:

Every medium to large air terminal has a radio transmitter known as the NDB (Non-Directional Beacon) continually broadcasting their unique three-letter identifier (LAX, SFO, SEA, DFW, ORD, DEN, etc., etc.) in Morse code to be used as a primitive navigational aid for aviators.

So a radio tuned into the Portland (OR) NDB would receive Morse code spelling PDX:
. - - .
- . .
- . . -

An aviator tuned into Toronto Pearson International Airport's NDB would receive Morse code for YYZ, their unique three-letter identifier. Hence the title of Rush's song 'YYZ' on their Moving Pictures album, AND that staccato Morse code tempo in the abrupt, oddball song intro.

Rush has always been rightfully proud of their affectionate "Nerd Rock" label.
That is very cool, thank you for sharing. I love stuff like this!
Old 08-29-2020, 03:28 PM
Charter Member

And I like the Joe Walsh stuff too. It's always fun to learn quirky background things about people we know mainly for their music or whatever else makes them famous.
Old 08-30-2020, 07:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Joe Walsh is a ham with the call sign WB6ACU. He got into it when he was a teen and his family moved to New York City. As a lonely, latchkey teen he noticed a wire coming out of a neighbor's window and knocked on the guy's door to asked what it was about. The guy took him under his wing and helped him get his license. Joe collects, restores, and operates vintage tube Ham receivers and transmitters. He actually pulled a Ham joke way back in the March 1972 issue of Guitar Player Magazine (my first issue), Joe listed the gear used to record Funk #49 as a Telecaster and a Vibroplex. I spent years looking for a Fender Vibroplex before I discovered that the Vibroplex is the standard horizontal Morse code key! Joe is famous for sneaking in little secret messages in his songs and in the inner "land" of his vinyl records (the space inside the locked final circle). If you listen to "Giant Bohemoth" on the Barnstorm album you can hear him tapping out "Register and vote" in Morse code. On Songs for a Dying Planet he also taps the message "Register and vote for me." At that point he had actually officially run for vice president on the "free gas for everyone" platform. His signature Duesenberg guitar has his name inlaid in Morse code on the fingerboard.

When I was a child my father built a ham receiver. We listened to stations all over the world and used WWV to set our watches.

Bob
Great story! Love this stuff!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic