The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-17-2017, 11:38 AM

Forgot to mention that Kaki King also tunes her Gryphon slightly different than the standard D to D course with each pair the same note.

She gets her interesting sound using tunings like this: DD AA DD FG AA DC

For those lucky enough to have an Amicus, I think it would be loads of fun to play with these changes and see what it sounds like.

She discusses how she plays her Gryphon below. Everything she mentions would also apply exactly the same for the Emerald Amicus.

Old 04-17-2017, 12:35 PM

Hi AC,
To be fair to Joe Veillette, he has another line called Avante which features a Gryphon that costs $1199.00. I have played both the Veillette Gryphon and the Avante Gryphon. They sound remarkably the same. Even Joe said to me that the Avante is very close in sound to the Veillette Gryphon. To my eye one of the differences between the two is the finish of the two that differs.
That being said I am thrilled to have purchased the Amicus which will allow me not to worry about climate changes and will give me wonderful sound and playing comfort.
Barb
Old 04-17-2017, 01:36 PM

Thanks Barb. I was only familiar with the Gryphon these past years before carbon fiber changed my perspective. Didn't realize they also had an alternative for basically the same price as the Amicus.

I always thought the Gryphon was great sounding, but the price was way out of my comfort zone.

Good to know they have a different, lower priced version for those who have no interest in composites.

They make high quality instruments.
Old 04-19-2017, 05:39 PM

Hi Barb1
Its great to hear you are enjoying the Amicus.
Its such a hard instrument to categorise as it certainly gives that Mandolin feel but also offers so much more possibility in depth and tone especially for us guitar players.
I love seeing how each player finds a completely different approach to playing it and it will definitely inspire you to try new things with your technique and style.
Have fun exploring the possibilities Barb
Old 04-19-2017, 06:56 PM

Dear Alistair,
Thank you so much for making such a wonderful instrument. The Amicus definitely does open up new possibilities in sound and style of playing.
I am looking forward to receiving the X7s I ordered. I am sure that I will be as pleased with them as I am with the Amicus. A thank you is due to Sean who made the ordering process easy as well as one to you for your input on the specs of the X7 Nylon.
Best regards ,
Barb
Old 08-06-2019, 02:59 PM
Guest 928

Speaking of Amicus....................

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber