The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-19-2013, 04:57 PM
G625 mistral-k

Default Rainsong OM Saddle info, guitar adventures, Bone Saddle experiences

Adventures
We received the S-OM1100 N2 from LAGuitars in May and have been enjoying it quite a bit with trips to DC, NY & West Point so far. Ted with LAGuitars simply provided us the best advice. Yesterday, we took it out to Colt State Park, left it the car for a couple of hours (cloudy here) as we biked then came back and played for two hours in the grass. Tomorrow it goes its first camping trip to Cape Cod.

Bone Saddle Experiences?
So enough about the guitar adventures. We were wondering has anyone changed out the saddle on their Rainsong to a bone saddle? If so, can you provide your impressions and what bone material you chose? thanks..

Bone Saddle & Bridge Pin Info for RainSong S-OM1100
below is the email I received from RainSong customer service. BTW, I emailed them yesterday and received a prompt response back today, so I decided to post in case others were interested in the information.

Thank you for contacting RainSong guitars.

I am unsure if the string pins and saddles we use are the same that are used on Taylor guitars (...but I suspect they are).

Here are the links to the Graph Tech parts we use. The measurements are specified on these pages.

String Pins PP-2044-00: http://graphtech.com/products/brands...a-5b650cce75eb

Saddles PQ-9200-CO: http://graphtech.com/products/brands...9-99520855d290
Old 08-19-2013, 05:48 PM

Michael @ MacNichol Guitars has cut me some lower saddles. The one currently in my OM1000 is bone. I like it.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:12 PM
Charter Member

I have a bone saddle and tusq (graph tech) bridge pins in my Walden 630. Really great upgrade!! I just got a CA ox and put a tusq saddle in it. That alone helped quite a bit. I'm now waiting for a set of ebony pins to come in. We'll see how that works out, then maybe consider a tusq or bone nut. I'm under the impression that saddle and nut upgrades to tusq or bone from the original composite pieces on the CFs are worth while to look into. All of this is, of course is my opinion!
Old 08-20-2013, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basalt Beach View Post
Adventures
We received the S-OM1100 N2 from LAGuitars in May and have been enjoying it quite a bit with trips to DC, NY & West Point so far. Ted with LAGuitars simply provided us the best advice. Yesterday, we took it out to Colt State Park, left it the car for a couple of hours (cloudy here) as we biked then came back and played for two hours in the grass. Tomorrow it goes its first camping trip to Cape Cod.

Bone Saddle Experiences?
So enough about the guitar adventures. We were wondering has anyone changed out the saddle on their Rainsong to a bone saddle? If so, can you provide your impressions and what bone material you chose? thanks..

Bone Saddle & Bridge Pin Info for RainSong S-OM1100
below is the email I received from RainSong customer service. BTW, I emailed them yesterday and received a prompt response back today, so I decided to post in case others were interested in the information.

Thank you for contacting RainSong guitars.

I am unsure if the string pins and saddles we use are the same that are used on Taylor guitars (...but I suspect they are).

Here are the links to the Graph Tech parts we use. The measurements are specified on these pages.

String Pins PP-2044-00: http://graphtech.com/products/brands...a-5b650cce75eb

Saddles PQ-9200-CO: http://graphtech.com/products/brands...9-99520855d290
Ted gave you good advice before, why not call him about the saddle? I know he tried a bone saddle in his personal custom Rainsong last year, maybe ask him where he got it and what he thought of it.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:52 AM
G625 mistral-k

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyFrank View Post
Ted gave you good advice before, why not call him about the saddle? I know he tried a bone saddle in his personal custom Rainsong last year, maybe ask him where he got it and what he thought of it.
Hi Andy,

Back from camping, thanks for the advice! I exchanged the info from Rainsong with Bob Colosi and our OM's saddle matches the size of the Taylor Saddles he has in stock. We discussed given the characteristics of the guitar, we are going with an Elephant ivory bone saddle. I will update when I install it. ...We love the TI Plectrums we put on before we went camping....They are the perfect string for this OM.

eric
Old 08-26-2013, 07:42 AM

MacNichol has had great luck with mother of pearl saddles and the obbligato saddles. I have been traveling too much and have no had time to send mine in so I an try an obbligato saddle.

Phoenix Guitar Co. Custom Classical Guitar
Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 08-31-2013, 10:31 AM

I'm really enjoying the cedar Obbligato in my GXi. I've stopped searching.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber