The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-29-2020, 06:13 AM
Charter Member

Default Bourgeois L-DBO

Hi folks,

In my ongoing quest for a small bodied guitar for playing fingerstyle generally and acoustic blues specifically (see my recent post regarding the Gibson 1942 LG-2) this guitar is on my radar. I know that Bourgeois makes amazing guitars and have played a couple of their OMs, but am wondering about people's experience with this model in terms of tone and playability. Any owners out there who can provide their thoughts? I'm interested in how vintage voiced the tone is, as well as info on the neck carve, playability, etc... I know they also make this guitar in an all mahogany version which may be a consideration as well - I have played the Santa Cruz 1929 00 which is an amazing guitar (and also a contender in my search) so any comparison there would be interesting. Thanks, Mike
Old 09-29-2020, 08:02 AM
Charter Member

Mike, I let a L-DBO with cherry back and sides get away and still regret it. I kept saying to myself that cherry wouldn’t give tone equivalent to other woods. I was very wrong. Playability was exceptional as was fit and finish.
Old 09-29-2020, 08:20 AM

Default L-DBO

I haven't played the L-DBO, but have owned a Bourgeois OM and a Martin Simpson Spec. The L-DBO looks like Dana's take on the Nick Lucas. Sierra Hull has a YouTube video playing one and she played one on the Opry last Saturday night. Another one of my favorites and may be my next guitar is the Santa Cruz H-13.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvvThZlpj2U

Sierra starts at about 21.00.
Old 09-29-2020, 10:49 AM

I have no experience with the L-DBO, but I'm having trouble imagining a Bourgeois that's got something close to the more funky blues sound of the LG-2. I'd love to test-drive that Bourgeois and find out. Throw in the Santa Cruz you're looking at (I've only played the 1929 000), and you've got three very interesting guitars with quite different tones.

Be sure to post which one you pick.
Old 09-29-2020, 10:59 AM

Sierra Hull, while most famous for her mandolin playing, is also a phenomenal guitarist and she plays an L-DBO. It sounds fantastic, if you wanna hear what it can really do, find a video of her playing.
Old 09-29-2020, 12:43 PM

Mike,

I've never played a Bourgeois which I would consider "vintage voiced" in any Martin / Gibson sense; and I am a bit confused as to your comparison of an Adirondack topped 00 with a Mahogany topped model - I am however a loooong time lover (and countless times owner) of 00 guitars - so I'll throw in a couple:

Much harder to find and probably a bit more expensive than either of the guitars you mention - The Merrill 00-18 is the very best Addy topped Mahogany 00 I have played and that includes the Martin itself. A DEAD ON vintage Martin tone but it comes with all the problems of a real vintage Martin with its ultralight build - a lot of movement over time my friend so caveat emptor.

Again, the Martin 00-18 Authentic is probably the single closest to the "real thing" in the Authentic series. A strong instrument and not that hard to find.

THe Martin Geoff Muldaur and Tim O'brien models are both good - even better IMHO - thanks the Kingston Trios from the 60's; but again not always easy to find

A real vintage Gibson Nick Lucas is a great guitar as well, fuller in the upper bout and quite a bit more expensive for a good one but it's the real deal.

I might add too that the string spacings and neck carves are different on each of the guitars. I play with my fingers and personally enjoy the vintage spacings best however I can live (on and off) with a 1 13/16ths nut and 2 5/16ths saddle.... But I strictly prefer the 1 7/8ths and 2 3/8ths spacing.

Note too that I have included on the short list MAHOGANY / Addy topped 00s with the best "true vintage" voices ... but I have owned and enjoyed a larger group of rosewood 00s with addy tops as well.

NOW, for the ALL MAHOGANY - I want to share that depending upon your technique, it is harder to get as much out of an ALL MAHOGANY 00 due to the fact that so many people who do not play them with regularity have a tendency to overplay them - that said, I prefer a HOG top (particularly given the fact that I already have a lifetime rosewood guitar; a 2007 Froggy Bottom H12 with an unusually vintage voice for a Froggy and possibly the only model with vintage spacing 1 7/8ths and 2 3/8ths)..... and I have owned a lot of HOG topped 00 guitars:

I have owned 2 Santa Cruz 1929 00s
2 Santa Cruz Don Edwards
Martin 00-17 Authenic
Collings 00-1Mh
David Flammang L-00
Goodall Mh Parlor (about the size of a 00)

and these are the best; I have owned others too but not in the same league with the two guitars you are contending with and not in the league with the above.

The Santa Cruz 1929 00 was my LEAST favorite of the above, which is strange because the Don Edwards is probably my MOST FAVORITE. N o doubt I prefer the Don Edwards 1 13/16ths / 2 5/16ths spacings over the much narrower 1929 but that is by no means the whole thing. Both the Don Edwards I have owned easily trounced both the 1929s I owned for bloom, openness, visual appeal, lack of nasality (or boxiness) when played hard. In my experience that Santa Cruz edges out the Collings when attempting the "Martin" sound, though both are more balanced and the Cruz a bit sweeter. And both the Collings and the Santa Cruz construction made the Martin Authentic play and appear "rough" by comparison.

The Goodall and Flammang were both great guitars and certainly worthy of consideration, however like the Bourgeois, I would not really call them "vintage voiced".

The Don Edwards is the hardest to find used but is quite consistent one to the next - then again so are all the others I mentioned. The Don Edwards NEW has also become quite expensive and arguably too expensive considering real vintage instruments out there but you don't have to deal with all the problems inherent in a 100 year old entry level guitar like the 00-17.

Then there is the actual Vintage Martin 00-17 which is great from the 30s through the 50s (and beyond too) but I can advise without exception: DO NOT BUY WITHOUT PLAYING and if you are not a tech have it looked at by a competent tech......

I don't know the vintage Gibson models as well but I have no doubt they exist.

SO -------- there are a few more considerations for you to wrestle with.

Good luck and have fun!
Old 09-29-2020, 03:39 PM
Charter Member

You got great information so far, especially from MWB.

Funny you ask about this model because I must have played this Carl Miner demo of a Adi/Hog L-DBO about 25 times in the past month:

Great sound played by an incredible guitarist. However, very boxy sounding and definitely NOT a vintage voice here, if that's important.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 09-30-2020, 06:51 AM
Charter Member

Thanks everyone for the input - lots of options to explore.
Old 09-30-2020, 07:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInBethesda View Post
Thanks everyone for the input - lots of options to explore.
LG2, Mike, LG2.....

Joking aside. The Bourgeois L-DBO are wonderful guitars. I have played a couple along the way. Some I much preferred to others, as I noticed a bit of boxy tone to some, but not all.

Good luck in the journey. It's a fun one!
Old 09-30-2020, 08:44 AM

Jeremy Garrett, who is a WORLD-class musician and singer plays one and recorded his Circles album with it. I LOVE the sound of his!!

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion