The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 09-27-2020, 12:57 PM

Default John Bonham - 40 years after.

Sept 25 marks the 40th anniversary of John Bonham's death (Led Zeppelin). To this day John is still regarded as one of the top drummers of all time.

Do you recall the news at the time?
Old 09-27-2020, 06:18 PM

Nope. But I remember on Led Zep 2? either John or Jimmy or both screwed up on timing and didn't go back and fix it like other groups did at the time. They are still tops in my book and Jimmy got really lucky finding all the talent in that great band.
Old 09-27-2020, 06:48 PM
Charter Member

Strangely, I don't either. He was an excellent drummer though. He tops many rock drumming rankings.
Old 09-27-2020, 08:34 PM

I remember it, I was in high school and a pretty big Zep fan.
Epiphone Dot
Old 09-27-2020, 10:39 PM

He was perfect for Led Zeppelin but listen to Keith Moon on the 1973 album 'Quadrophenia' by The Who - the drumming is simply outstanding.

Sad they are both gone.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 09-28-2020, 06:43 AM
Charter Member

I remember like it was yesterday. I was fresh out of high school and Zep had just put out a new album and were planning a tour and my best friend and I were excited to try to get tickets to see them in Boston. Then the news hit about his passing and we were devastated.

I was a drummer back then so I was doubly a big fan. John Bonham was not a technical drummer but he played with such power, passion and authority that he remains considered to this day one of the best of all time. One thing is for sure - Led Zeppelin was a magical combination of talent.
Old 09-28-2020, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
He was perfect for Led Zeppelin but listen to Keith Moon on the 1973 album 'Quadrophenia' by The Who - the drumming is simply outstanding.

Sad they are both gone.
Yea, Keith Moon and John Bonham frequently appear on the top list of all time drummers, along with Neil Peart. Both Moon and Bonham died at the age of 32, two years apart in September.
Old 09-28-2020, 01:16 PM

Don't remember the news of the day but remember him passing.

Was at his last UK Led Zep concert at Knebworth, 11th August 1979 - What a day that was.

John Henry Bonham and John Paul Jones were the perfect partnership to provide the foundation that allowed Page and Plant to shine.

YouTube
Old 09-29-2020, 02:34 PM
Charter Member

I was a little young to recall it at the time, but was aware of his impact, when I began listening to Led Zep in the early 80s. Almost the same learning curve and appreciation for Bon Scott, who died around the same time.

Bonzo's drumming was such a huge force and helped to shape their sound. As for lists, Neil Peart tops the list of drummers I've seen, and Keith Moon tops the list for drummers I've never seen. Bonham would be in my Top five.

Side note (Led Zep related): my first rock concert was the short-lived supergroup, The Firm, b/c rumors were swirling in the mid-80s that Jimmy Page might stop performing live; absurd, looking back, with him performing with Page/Coverdale, Page/Plant, and Jimmy Page & The Black Crowes.
Old 09-29-2020, 03:53 PM
Charter Member

In the military, I was serving somewhere overseas in 1980 when I heard Bonham had died. And I had memories of catching Led Zeppelin back in 1972 (I think) at the Portland Memorial Coliseum. They were touring album 4 (ZOSO) and opened with the abrupt, angular Immigrant Song from III. Wake Up People! Showtime!

Mid-concert, Bonham did a lengthy drum solo, tossing the sticks and blazing away with bare hands. I didn't expect that stunt (learned later it was a trademark) and found it awe-inspiring, of course.

I'd been teaching myself rock guitar for a few years by that time, but had grown up with drums in the family basement and could always play them by ear. Mostly 4/4 Beatles and Stones stuff. Zep? Not so much. Bonham wasn't the ultimate high-speed technical drum shredder, but that didn't seem his thing anyway. In addition to fantastic style and power, he possessed something every drummer should at least try (IMHO) to understand: The Pocket. Miles deep and instinctively reassuring, giving his explosively expressive bandmates a rock solid jungle-gym to scale and plenty of latitude to expand and contract individually.

Black Dog, The Wanton Song and Night Flight. Charismatically commanding, sexy and timeless.

Last edited by tinnitus; 09-29-2020 at 09:46 PM.
Old 09-29-2020, 10:25 PM

I was 7, so I don’t recall seeing any news. But I recall lots of great memories with Led Zeppelin playing in the background roughly ten years later. Good times.
Old 10-02-2020, 10:27 AM

I don't recall hearing the news when it happened, but I'm another big fan. He had a unique power and style. And another thing that can't be overlooked - the sound of the drums on those Led Zep records was phenomenal. Even relatively simple parts, such as on "When The Levee Breaks", are very impressive because of the big, booming sound and precise recording. I haven't heard that particular drum sound on any other recordings. There are lots of "better" drummers, but Bonham was special.
Old 10-02-2020, 10:37 AM
Charter Member

I don't recall hearing about it until much later even though i was a Led Zeppelin fan. He was an amazing drummer and fortunately I had the opportunity to see him perform. He died from asphyxiation after a heavy night of drinking. What a waste.

1969 Martin D-35 (Brazilian Rosewood/Sitka Spruce)
2002 Taylor 355 12-string (Sapele/Sitka Spruce)
2014 Taylor 914ce (Indian Rosewood/Sitka Spruce)
2016 Breedlove Oregon Concert (Myrtlewood)
2018 Taylor GS Mini (Walnut/Spruce)
2021 Taylor 326ce (Urban Ash/Mahogany)
2021 Kevin Ryan Paradiso (The Tree/Sinker Redwood)
2022 KaAloha KTM-10RP Ukulele (Koa)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic