The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-19-2015, 08:11 PM

Default CA Legacy year production?

I just recently picked up a pre-Peavey CA Legacy. Plays and sounds great, but I am curious about what year production this guitar is. Serial number is 121066 and has enhanced traditional voicing if I am understanding that right. The guitar is fully gloss with the back, sides, and neck a nice emerald green. Anyone that can share a little history with this guitar would be much appreciated.....pics to follow!
Old 10-19-2015, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nopicknick View Post
I just recently picked up a pre-Peavey CA Legacy. Plays and sounds great, but I am curious about what year production this guitar is. Serial number is 121066 and has enhanced traditional voicing if I am understanding that right. The guitar is fully gloss with the back, sides, and neck a nice emerald green. Anyone that can share a little history with this guitar would be much appreciated.....pics to follow!
Hmm...I wonder if there's anyone around who can decode pre-Peavey CA serial numbers.

Here's the best I can narrow it down for you...

- If it's got a wood bridge and fretboard, it's super early, pre-'03.
- If it's got a smooth, black composite bridge, and a wood (ebony) fretboard, it's around '03 - '04.
- In either '05 or '06, they changed to a composite fretboard, a brushed-texture black composite bridge, and the body depth changed from 5" to 4.5".
Old 10-20-2015, 07:12 AM

Thanks Tommy for the information. The bridge looks composite to me, but it is hard to tell about the fingerboard. If I had to guess I would say it could be ebony. I've had some composite guitars before.....several Rainsong models, and a newer CA Cargo. All were very good guitars too. This Legacy sounds really good with a very nice smooth tone.....almost creamy doing solo lines. No thinness to the notes if you get my meaning. I'm just curious to know a little more about the guitar since I like it so much.
Old 10-20-2015, 07:46 AM

Mine is an '04, purchased in June of that year. It has the smooth, black composite bridge but also the composite fretboard as best I can tell. Its serial number begins with 112.
Old 10-20-2015, 09:21 PM

Here is a pic but not that good. Looks to be a wood fingerboard and not SS frets to me. Pickup is a Fishman Prefix with a mic in the sound hole. Also notice no fret markers either. From what I was told the original owner bought this guitar from a CA show at a local store somewhere. Sort of like a Taylor Road Show type thing. What year I have no idea. The guitar is absolutely killer though.....sounds and plays fantastic!

Old 10-20-2015, 11:11 PM

I have a pre-peavey GX, s/n 109245-3, which from memory translates to model number, year, day and item number. In my case 1 means HighGloss, 09 is the year (2009), 245 is the julian date (i.e. September 2nd, 245th day of the year) and 3 means the 3rd one built that day.
So your number - 121066 - doesn't quite add up. Are you sure it's pre peavey?
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 10-21-2015, 06:59 AM

I'm not 100% sure since I bought the guitar used so I'm going on what I was told from the store. The owner's manual (if original) is still in the case with the warranty card still attached. CA's address on the owner's manual says Lafayette. The store said that the guy who traded the Legacy in told them he played it for a while then kept it in the case for quite a few years. There is some minor fret wear so it did get played.
Old 10-21-2015, 09:53 AM

That looks like around an '03.

In '05 or '06, they started doing the carbon (black) burst on the top and changed the body depth to 4.5". So check the depth at the endpin.
Old 10-21-2015, 08:06 PM

Checked the body depth at the rear end pin and it measures 5"......so 2003 would sound about right?
Old 10-22-2015, 09:01 PM

That looks like an old one nitpickin. A few years ago a member, maybe "gitnoob" posted some serail # info, but I think your guitar pre dates those.
Old 10-23-2015, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyFrank View Post
That looks like an old one nitpickin. A few years ago a member, maybe "gitnoob" posted some serail # info, but I think your guitar pre dates those.
I have a pretty good idea now about when the guitar was built. Thanks to everyone for their help.....I do appreciate it!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber