The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 03-26-2015, 10:25 AM
Charter Member

It would appear my original post has upset so many of you I feel I should retract it and propose the following:

AGF should have only one forum…Guitars. We don't dare exclude anyone, including electrics. Total diversity here, in fact having an "acoustic" forum is exclusionary. Better re-name the whole thing "GuitarForum" and talk about everything and anything that is even slightly related to any and every guitar, all in one inclusive forum.

Moderators, please close this thread!

Dave
Old 03-26-2015, 10:42 AM

This thread is classic. (emocon playing nylon).
Old 03-26-2015, 01:10 PM

Arrow The Old Guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar1083 View Post
Don't know. Medieval 500–1400
William Byrd = Renaissance 1400–1600
Bach = Baroque 1600–1760
Mozart = Classical 1730–1820
Beethoven = Romantic 1780–1910
and so on
The Classical Era for Guitar was ushered in when Segovia took the stage to demand that the guitar be taken as a serious solo instrument, as profound as, shudder, the piano. With or without orchestral accompaniment. When the celebrated grand players (continuing on 'til today) also presented works by Bach, etc. besides the compositions of the Spanish Guitar comp masters, the guitar lost it's folk-status placement in the world of arrangements.
Old 03-26-2015, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfterViewer View Post
The Classical Era for Guitar was ushered in when Segovia took the stage to demand that the guitar be taken as a serious solo instrument, as profound as, shudder, the piano. With or without orchestral accompaniment. When the celebrated grand players (continuing on 'til today) also presented works by Bach, etc. besides the compositions of the Spanish Guitar comp masters, the guitar lost it's folk-status placement in the world of arrangements.
usher is a singer

ADVERTISEMENT
Aitch Oh Double-U A Are Dee
Ef Are Eye Ess Sea Aitch E Are
Facebook.com/HowardFrischer
Ads by Google Adwords
Old 03-26-2015, 01:34 PM

"They were ushered into the theater (concert hall) with the other "folks" to hear the celebrated classical guitarist play (Segovia the Andalusian)."
Old 03-26-2015, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
It would appear my original post has upset so many of you I feel I should retract it and propose the following:

AGF should have only one forum…Guitars. We don't dare exclude anyone, including electrics. Total diversity here, in fact having an "acoustic" forum is exclusionary. Better re-name the whole thing "GuitarForum" and talk about everything and anything that is even slightly related to any and every guitar, all in one inclusive forum.

Moderators, please close this thread!

Dave
DaveT, no need at all to close this down. It has been a good, thought provoking thread. No one is upset....typical passionate, well informed AGF discourse.

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 03-26-2015, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfterViewer View Post
we know what people say about Les Paul & Leo Fender. because there are guitars that tell the story for the past 60+ years, then i wind up educating my friends about Segovia and how he brought the guitar to a concert instrument, back when Banjos and Mandolins were in big bands - guitar being such a low sounding instrument was only played by solo artist, when Segovia play the play would have to be so quite that you could hear a pin drop.

So thank god for Segovia

ADVERTISEMENT
Aitch Oh Double-U A Are Dee
Ef Are Eye Ess Sea Aitch E Are
Facebook.com/HowardFrischer
Ads by Google Adwords
Old 03-26-2015, 02:27 PM

Segovia didn't want to be associated with Flamecan 'folky" guitar culture. [/QUOTE]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ya-ekUD4yTk

Last edited by AfterViewer; 03-26-2015 at 08:39 PM.
Old 03-26-2015, 05:09 PM

I see this as a place for classical guitarist and those that dabble in classical music. It seems to me that if you are not interested in classical guitar playing and do not consider yourself as someone that has any interest or pride in the history of the kind of guitar you are playing, then perhaps this is not the place for you to be hanging out.
2005 Alvarez AC60SC
2005 Alvarez MC90C
Steel
2002 Martin OMC18VLJ signature
2003 Mauel McCloud Custom
Old 03-26-2015, 06:39 PM

"....pride in the history of the kind of guitar you are playing"?

Didn't realize there were such draconian restrictions. So Jerry Reed, Earl Klugh, Chet Atkins, John Knowles, Willie Nelson, Jose Feliciano, and for a spell Leo Kottke were all being disrespectful to their "classical" guitars?

2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2

Last edited by ukejon; 03-26-2015 at 06:49 PM.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:42 PM

I'm afraid, YES. Now if we were talking about accordions, then no.

Last edited by AfterViewer; 03-26-2015 at 08:59 PM.
Old 03-26-2015, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukejon View Post
What happened to "I'm done"? Guess you were using a polysemic interpretation of the word "done".

....just teasing. Clearly you are very passionate about this topic and nothing anyone else says will sway your opinion. That's cool....
Well, I figured the whole argument would die. But so many people have posted in with didactic yet wildly divergent opinions that it is clear that my polysemic definitional proposition is fully supported by virtue of the disagreement. The more argument there is, the more my proposition is supported. I couldn't help but point that out.

Carry on.
Old 03-26-2015, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippyChip View Post
I see this as a place for classical guitarist and those that dabble in classical music. It seems to me that if you are not interested in classical guitar playing and do not consider yourself as someone that has any interest or pride in the history of the kind of guitar you are playing, then perhaps this is not the place for you to be hanging out.
That's one definition.
Old 03-26-2015, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukejon View Post
"....pride in the history of the kind of guitar you are playing"?

Didn't realize there were such draconian restrictions. So Jerry Reed, Earl Klugh, Chet Atkins, John Knowles, Willie Nelson, Jose Feliciano, and for a spell Leo Kottke were all being disrespectful to their "classical" guitars?
That's another.
Old 03-27-2015, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucefulton View Post
Well, I figured the whole argument would die. But so many people have posted in with didactic yet wildly divergent opinions that it is clear that my polysemic definitional proposition is fully supported by virtue of the disagreement. The more argument there is, the more my proposition is supported. I couldn't help but point that out.

Carry on.
Bruce, the fact that "classical" may or may not function as a polyseme does not necessarily mean that it is a better header for this section than "nylon". Despite your claims, your own logic in fact it is rather circular (something to the effect that "Classical guitar has in years past been the accepted word for nylon string guitars, therefore I must be correct that all nylon string guitars should today be called classical--including Spanish/flamenco traditional style instruments, but also some gypsy, solid body, thin body, jazz, silent, and crossover nylon guitars as well). And as to the notion that "The more argument there is, the more my proposition is supported", well that simply reflects the fact that you are not listening to anyone else. You say that Classical is the universal term for all nylon string guitars while others are saying here that today it is not necessarily an accurate or accepted term for all types of nylon string guitars. Therefore as the OP and others have asked, is the broader term "nylon string guitar"a more inclusive and clear term for this or another category on AGF.

Not a giant issue, to be sure, and we can simply agree to disagree. With the introduction of more and more nylon string guitars, maybe the terminology will evolve a bit or maybe it won't.....no crystal ball on this one.

2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2

Last edited by ukejon; 03-27-2015 at 06:11 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical