The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 04-01-2010, 01:13 AM
Charter Member

Beautiful wood. Congrats!
Old 05-10-2010, 11:23 AM

With each passing day, I find myself enjoying this guitar more and more. This guitar as has a voice that I find to be very unique. I know alot of people don't like lattice braced guitars. We all have our own taste. But I don't think that all lattice braced guitars sound the same. I found this description on the 12th fret website about a Cervantes Master series classical. I think it describes the Cervantes signature tone quite well. This a a very accurate desciption of what I hear when I play my Crossover 1. Especially the snap & pop to the notes as well as that crystaline glitter overtones.

" The fact that Alejandro Cervantes has an excellent ear as a player has really given him an advantage as a luthier . He has designed this particular instrument to project that wonderful silvery overall tonality that he loves in a classical. Don't get me wrong. This guitar is not strident and sterile sounding. It has a solid depth to the note core, superb character in the partials, but also a wonderful snap to the initial attack and a slight "glitter" at the trailing edge of the notes! This is truly a concert grade classical guitar in every sense!"
Old 05-10-2010, 12:17 PM

I'm in the market for a new crossover classical, and this one was suggested to me several times, and it was suggested that I buy it at Gryphon (I almost took a drive down there on Saturday, but I got busy). I was checking their inventory online just Saturday, and they didn't appear to have a Palo Escrito in stock (I wonder if this was the last ine they had). I'm curious how much you paid for this. Could you PM me with that? The Cocobolo one looks a bit pricey. Was this one in that range? I'm after one with built-in electronics. Which electronics does it ship with if you choose that option?
Old 05-10-2010, 12:25 PM

...and does this one have a truss rod?
Old 05-10-2010, 12:58 PM

Eric, if you head down to Gryphon, I'd check out the Kenny Hill showroom as well in Ben Lomond.
that's me on guitar
Old 05-10-2010, 01:06 PM

I'll add that to my list. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:33 PM

Toni, never mind about my truss rod question. I can see from your response in one of my other posts that the Cervantes Crossover has one. I am still interested in the electronics that would ship with it if I chose that option, though, and the price you paid (if you don't mind discussing it. Send me a PM if you don't). I can see that 12th Fret has this guitar for a reasonable price, well within my price range (MUCH less than the Cocobolo version over at Gryphon), but it also does not appear to have electronics. I wonder if they carry a version with built-in electronics?
Old 05-10-2010, 02:12 PM

PM has been sent.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric.Hope View Post
I was checking their inventory online just Saturday, and they didn't appear to have a Palo Escrito in stock (I wonder if this was the last ine they had).
Gryphon doesn't do a good job of updating their website. I recommend that you call them.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:00 PM

they don't come with electronics, although i'm sure each dealer has their favorite installations. the non signature models are a ridiculous value. i only got the signature because of cosmetics of the particular piece of cocobolo wood that was available at the time. as i have mentioned elsewhere, i had alejandro put in his favorite electronics (the 2 source K&K classical which has stick on transducers and a little mic) but ymmv of course. there's a lot of stuff out there.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:14 AM

I'm the person who bought Ed Hamilton's Indian/Cedar Crossover. I bought it sight unseen, which always makes me a bit anxious. (I bought a similar Cordoba guitar last year, and I really didn't care for it at all.)

These are nicer instruments than I expected, honestly. I had the neck adjusted after it arrived, but otherwise, it's excellent for the price, in my humble opinion. Being a relatively new instrument, I expect it to continue to open up with playing. It's very well made, and the finish is lighter in weight than a comparable Chinese or Korean instrument. The braces are scalloped, the woods are fine, and the assembly is well-done. It plays in tune up and down the neck, and the neck is comfortable.

I played it last night in the living room of a friend in a rehearsal (guitar/violin classical duo), and we were both impressed at the volume, balance, and tonal color of my guitar, especially compared to the acoustic response of my NS24CE. (I'm a steel-string guitarist, and have relatively little experience with nylon string guitars.) I'm sure there are nicer instruments out there, but this one is really growing on me.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyhymnia View Post
I played it last night in the living room of a friend in a rehearsal (guitar/violin classical duo), and we were both impressed at the volume, balance, and tonal color of my guitar, especially compared to the acoustic response of my NS24CE. (I'm a steel-string guitarist, and have relatively little experience with nylon string guitars.) I'm sure there are nicer instruments out there, but this one is really growing on me.
These truly are amazing guitars. The quality and tone far outweighs the price. And used is a steal. You will have to spend between double and 3 times the price to get better (depending on if you buy used or new). Even then, it might not be that much better.

You mentioned scalloped bracing. These guitars are lattice braced. I think this contributes greatly to the lively modern voicing.

I am certain you continue to enjoy this guitar even more as time passes. Congrats on an excellent choice.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:13 PM

With all respect, I believe lattice refers to the pattern of braces underneath the top, whereas scalloped refers to the individual treatment of each brace. The "scalloping" is where the brace material is removed on the top of the ends where it meets the edge of the top. The removal of material (mass) lightens the top, which makes it more responsive to the vibration of the strings.

Semantics aside, yes, even to my relatively uneducated ears, the Cervantes really jumps. I'm not yet ready to say it's the equivalent of a guitar costing three or more times as much--I have friends who play really high-end classicals, and those things are just amazing in their response--but for the money, it'll do. I only wise I could try a Pavan just to compare!

BTW, how is your pickup working out? I'd like to install a pickup eventually in mine.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyhymnia View Post

Semantics aside, yes, even to my relatively uneducated ears, the Cervantes really jumps. I'm not yet ready to say it's the equivalent of a guitar costing three or more times as much--I have friends who play really high-end classicals, and those things are just amazing in their response--but for the money, it'll do. I only wise I could try a Pavan just to compare!

BTW, how is your pickup working out? I'd like to install a pickup eventually in mine.
The pickup has met all of my expectations. When I speak of the value of this guitar, I am speaking in terms of the crossover catagory not the concert classical. You compare the tone, playability, and build quality of a Cervantes Crossover with a Taylor NS6 & NS7 or even a Goodall Crossover. Then do the math.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:06 PM

Default ...so how do I FIND one???

Toni, you've been raving about your new ax so much (and so eloquently) that I'm ready to plunk down the dough. Trouble is, nobody has one. I've got a message out to Gryphon to ask if they'll let me get on a waiting list or something.

Do you have any ideas as to where one might find a Cervantes Crossover 1 PE out there?

Aparicio AA100 Classical Spruce/IR
Guild GAD-50e (meh)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical