The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-29-2020, 08:34 AM

Default Admittedly a side note

One of my clients has invited my wife and I to be on their boat in the Caribbean in February. He said, "Hey,m bring your guitar and we'll hang out at night with some music and rum drinks."

Hell no, I'm not bringing my $4,000 guitar on your boat. He found out I cold rent a Yamaha for $75 for the week. I'll suffer some loss of tonality for the peace of mind that my real guitar doesn't end up in the drink after too many drinks.
Furch Gc-CR Red

ELECTRICS
Gibson Les Paul Custom '68 reissue sunburst
Carvin Bolt
Stratocaster custom build
Schecter Stiletto 5-string bass
Old 09-29-2020, 08:39 AM

I've gone the weekly rental route too, on trips to Hawaii. Just make sure to bring a fresh set of strings and tools to change them, or get the shop to do that before you pick up. The rental fee is well worth not having to worry about your guitar -- even a beater -- getting there safely through the airport system (loss, damage, delay, excess baggage fees).
Old 09-29-2020, 09:24 AM

The potential unknown would merit buying a very cheap guitar to serve the purpose.
Old 09-29-2020, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTerp View Post
Renting a cabin for a few days and plan on taking my acoustic to play around the campfire in the evenings. Temps look be in the low 40's/high 30's during the evening/night. I'll keep my guitar in it's hardcase with Boveda humidity packs in the temperature controlled cabin while not playing. But any concern with taking it out of the case and brining it into that type weather in front of a campfire for an hour or two each evening? Obviously we'll be keeping warm by the fire, just wondering if the heat from the fire or the cold in the air is going to cause my guitar any permanent problems (warped neck, cracked top, etc.) FWIW, it's a Seagull S6 so a solid cedar top and laminate wild cherry back and sides.
Hi BT

Playing guitars ANYWHERE can be dangerous. A former member of the forum slipped on a rug walking off the platform at church and fell on his Taylor…this photo is from 2004

If you are careful your guitar should be fine.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 09-29-2020, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi BT

Playing guitars ANYWHERE can be dangerous. A former member of the forum slipped on a rug walking off the platform at church and fell on his Taylor…this photo is from 2004

I just died a little inside after seeing that pic.

But in all seriousness, go and enjoy your guitar at the campfire. Should be fine.
Old 09-29-2020, 05:49 PM
Charter Member

I have a brick patio in the back and a fire pit. I play out there from spring to late fall several times a week. I also have a propane heater that I run when it gets colder. Sandwich myself between it and the fire pit. Rain and snow will drive me inside. I've never thought about whether it is a good or bad thing, it is just what I like to do. Sit outside, drink and play my guitar. If anything bad does happen to my guitar, I'll report on it. But one thing, don't leave a guitar laying on the ground, leaning against a tree, or sitting on a chair. There are worse dangers to a guitar at night around a camp fire than the temp.
Old 09-29-2020, 09:07 PM

I really don’t think the guitar playing will damage the fire.
Old 09-29-2020, 09:15 PM

You're more likely to damage it by spilling your campfire adult beverage on the guitar than the campfire doing anything to it.

I like when my guitar has that smoky smell. It's mega humid here, so smoke likes to "stick" to everything.....especially leather.
Old 09-29-2020, 09:36 PM
Charter Member

I would have concerns for a few issues. You mention 30-40 degree temps and a bonfire. So you're taking a guitar from a case into a cold temp, then exposing it to a warm to hot temp, back into cold temps when it goes back into the case which will have cooled off. Those heat to cold to heat to cold temperature fluctuations might adversely affect a few things. Being a Seagull you might be okay though since it's a lower price, well-built guitar especially if it's a satin finish (no finish checking).

One other thing to be aware of his just how hot a bonfire can get. I remember attending one a couple years back in October with those temps and I was sitting there enjoying the warmth with my feet out in front of me when a buddy sitting across from me said, "Dude, you shoe soles are melting!" And they WERE! So just be really aware of that!!

We actually perform regularly at those bonfire gatherings but we typically stay back from the fire, acclimate the guitar to the temp, perform, and put the gear away but slowly acclimate back up to room temps. I also don't use high end guitars. I use either a carbon fiber or satin finish - like the Seagull.
Old 09-29-2020, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
I also don't use high end guitars. I use either a carbon fiber or satin finish - like the Seagull.
Most carbon boys that I see are $900+

If they made a really cheap one, I'd be all over it.
Old 09-29-2020, 10:51 PM

I have played my Martin around campfires for years with no problems at all, but just make sure your gutiar does not feel hot or even very warm when you are around the campfire. I take the same precautions when playing outside in the sun.
Old 09-30-2020, 04:55 AM
Charter Member

Could get damaged if you drop it in the fire. My dad drug his 1952 ES- 125 all over the world when he was in the Air Force. It never even had a case, till I bought him one. It has Lacquer checking, has had tuners replaced and a new tail piece. But is still playable. Would I do that to a guitar? No, but times are allot different now.
Old 09-30-2020, 06:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
[size=2]Hi BT

Ouch !!
Would that be considered and altered tuning ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 09-30-2020, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
Can playing my acoustic around a campfire potentially damage it?

How could you possibly damage a campfire by doing that?

You haven't heard me play... restraining order in four states...
Old 09-30-2020, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
Can playing my acoustic around a campfire potentially damage it?

How could you possibly damage a campfire by doing that?

I think the finish could possibly get soft and drip onto the fire and cause flare ups.

Not too likely, I know, but possible. Also, the glues in non-solid wooden parts can be kind of noxious.

Pro-tip: Keep the head-stock string ends uncut to use for marshmallows and hot-dogs!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion