The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-27-2020, 04:26 AM
Charter Member

Default Monoprice 15 watt tube amp?

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=611815

I got an email from Monoprice that this amp is available now. Is this a good amp? It's all tubes, and it looks, to me, like it has a good speaker.

You can't go out and try these. Well I'm not willing to go out and try anything right now, so I'm coming to you. If you had more in the budget, would you consider this a good amp or just a good amp for $250.
Old 09-27-2020, 05:57 AM

I bought one used, never bonded with it, and sold it, broke even almost. On paper, it looks like a good amp. And there was nothing wrong with it at all. I think if you were playing any kind of high gain music, with breakup, it'd sound good. I was looking for a clean sound, and it certainly could produce that, but it just didn't draw me in. Totally subjective of course, some people swear by these amps and that is fine too.

I never tried any of my acoustics through it. In retrospect, I should have tried this amp in tandem with an acoustic amp, for a bigger acoustic guitar sound.

Good luck- I remember looking at them new, and was always able to find some way to get a 10% discount. If you get the discount, then eventually decide to sell, you won't lose much I'd bet.
Old 09-27-2020, 06:22 AM

There's a thread here that talks about the same amp

The reviews are totally mixed. Some like, some don't.
Old 09-27-2020, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoryDavis View Post
I bought one used, never bonded with it, and sold it, broke even almost. On paper, it looks like a good amp. And there was nothing wrong with it at all. I think if you were playing any kind of high gain music, with breakup, it'd sound good. I was looking for a clean sound, and it certainly could produce that, but it just didn't draw me in. Totally subjective of course, some people swear by these amps and that is fine too...
The TDPRI folks seem to like them, as either a low-cost alternative to the Blues Junior or a mod platform; FWIW I've seen a couple of reviews which mention the OEM Celestion speaker as the weak link (great for high-gain stuff but very limited for anything else, as you state) - the Eminence Cannabis Rex seems to be the go-to here, and based on my own experience with the Swamp Thang in an EL84 amp I'd tend to agree. I also understand that the current front-panel iteration addresses the major issues in the initial run - poor-sounding reverb and bargain-basement tubes (they've upgraded the 'verb tank and gone to Ruby Tubes last I looked); considering it's purported to be a Laney Cub 12R in plain-vanilla (literally) packaging, at half the street price of the name-brand box it's a bargain by any reckoning - I've had one on my radar for a while as a lightweight backup for my Bugera V22, and I personally wouldn't hesitate to take the plunge...
Old 09-28-2020, 09:06 AM

I owned a Laney Cub 10 for a while - the "tweener" model twixt the 5-15 watt amps. I didn't care for it. I have read that many have had issues w/their reverb tanks - but that could be an old issue.

Depending on how much volume you need/want, I would consider other options. You want GREAT clean and dirty tones at low volume? Blackstar HT1R. $299.

I really like my Orange Micro Terror through a 10" cab, but do miss reverb. Joyo also makes hybrid, 2 channel 20 watt amps that sound very good for about $150. Pair it with a decent cab and you've got a loud, giggable rig. The 2 channels are not footswitchable though, so for me, it's essentially a 1 channel amp for live playing. At home it might just fit the bill for you. (They don't have reverb either though).

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 09-28-2020, 10:46 AM

I've had one for two years. I can't imagine why anyone would not like it. It sounds great to me and the price is ridiculous.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 09-29-2020, 04:14 AM
Charter Member

Well, in checking the other forums that were mentioned, there is a lot of love for this little amp and I see that it always goes on sale. I'm going to wait. Black Friday is coming up, or maybe they'll send me a good coupon, but I think I'll make this my first electric amp. It seems like a good place to start.

I don't even have an electric guitar yet. I wish that I could get out and try some, but I'm still not willing to hit the stores. My wish list goes through almost anything that you can get for under $850 but right now it's centering on Telecasters and Stratocasters. It will probably evolve again but at least it's keeping me entertained until I can get out to the stores.
Old 09-29-2020, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
...My wish list goes through almost anything that you can get for under $850...
Don't lay down your bucks until you've checked out one of the Korean-made (the Chinese stuff doesn't measure up IME) Gretsch 5400/5600-Series Electromatics - pro quality at step-up prices, and there are lots of very satisfied owners here (myself included)...
Old 09-29-2020, 12:16 PM
Charter Member

Thanks Steve, you'e given me another guitar to consider. It's hard to complain that I can't go out guitar shopping when so many have had it so much worse

I've actually got it pretty good; I'm Upstate and there's only one case in our town. I can do anything I want, and I only wear a mask if I go to the store. But back on Long Island, I have Music Zoo, 2 Sam Ash's and 3 GC's to go out and play in.

But I'm not complaining. I'll get that amp when they offer me a deal and that will spur me on to eventually go out and find my electric guitar.
Old 09-29-2020, 03:53 PM

My brother has one. First one crapped out. Second one is reliable and sounds great.
Old 09-30-2020, 07:32 PM
Charter Member

These are often on sale for $199. Always tempted!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 09-30-2020, 08:20 PM

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a sale. They were out of stock for months, and I haven't seen a sale on either Monoprice tube amp for perhaps a year.
Old 09-30-2020, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Don't lay down your bucks until you've checked out one of the Korean-made Gretsch 5400/5600-Series Electromatics...
Steve speaks the truth. I like my G5420TG more every time I play it!

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 09-30-2020, 11:08 PM

It's a little more money, but I picked up my Bugera V22 Infinium on a Musician's Friend 15% off sale, bringing the price to about $340. I haven't seen a 15% off sale from GC or MF recently, but maybe Black Friday?

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 10-01-2020, 04:24 AM

I love mine. I use it for a clean jazzy sound with an archtop.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars