The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 12-02-2017, 08:26 PM

Default Successfully reglued bridge?

Hi folks! So, the title pretty much sums it up. Not discussing techniques or anything. It's a classical guitar, bridge came out due to steel strings on a classical. I've cleaned old glue residues, assured wood to wood contact, titebond and clamps... Two days clamped and two more without clamps. It plays like a dream now, no sign of bridge coming off again and no gaps between bridge and top.

But, it was my first time attempting this kind of repair, so I'm quite unsure about it. There's a part of me which believes the bridge could pop out anytime.

So, my question is, how long after regluing the bridge and playing it for a couple of hours a day should it take to say "job done"? Approximately, of course.

A friend of mine said that if it doesn't pop out in a week, means it won't pop anymore, except for extreme temperatures and humidity factors. Is he right?

Thanks!
Old 12-02-2017, 08:47 PM

I wouldn't worry about it. Once in a while look around the perimeter of the bridge, particularly the edge furthest from the soundhole, to ensure that it isn't lifting or separating from the top. If it does, remove it and reglue.

I let the glue dry overnight prior to working on it, then stringing. Other glues, such as animal glues, take longer. Titebond reaches full strength in 24 hours.

Last edited by charles Tauber; 12-24-2017 at 02:57 PM.
Old 12-03-2017, 07:15 AM

Ideally you make a clamping caul for the inside of the guitar that is slotted for the braces and fits nice and tight under the bridge. You don't want to crush the braces or the inside of the guitar with clamps and it also provides equal pressure and makes for a better glue up. I would check the bracing on the inside too. Sometimes a bridge lifts up due to top distortion from loose or broken braces. Otherwise Titebond is some strong and forgiving stuff.
Old 12-03-2017, 09:53 AM

Thanks. It isn't lifting or anything. I've let it clamped for two days and set it resting for two more before putting strings on.

Still, is there an estimate time after the repair I could be sure it's well glued and won't pop out anymore, under normal circumstances, of course?

I've been asking and a friend says that after a week without presenting any issues I can call it job done. Another one just said one month... It's actually playing and sounding so good it'd be a shame to have to go all over again through removing, reglue, clamps...
Old 12-03-2017, 10:17 AM

We routinely reglue bridges and string to full tension the next day after the glue dries under clamps overnight.

Frank Ford
Old 12-03-2017, 11:50 AM

24 hours has worked for me. Been regluing bridges for about 40 years now.
Old 12-03-2017, 04:31 PM

Great, thanks for the input!

Any cases of the bridge popping out again? Not glued by other people or from factory, I mean a case that your did it yourself and it didn't work out as expected. If so, why did it happen?

I guess it's my first bridge repair, that's why I'm a bit uncertain about long term results. I guess if it didn't pop so far, I won't anymore. At least under normal circumstances.
Old 12-04-2017, 10:38 PM

The experts say 24 hours, and that's been fine for me. As for your friend saying that if it doesn't pop out in a week, it's good forever, all human experience is counter to that. Bridges can loosen after 20 years... or 40. So I'd put it another way: if it hasn't popped up in a week, you can be confident it won't pop up... unless it does.
Old 12-19-2017, 05:58 PM

Great. Just a quick update, it's been like two to three weeks since the bridge got reglued. Still there, not a sign of popping out. I called it job done. As Mr.Fingers said, I'm confident it won't pop up, until it does...
Old 12-23-2017, 09:59 AM

With most joints I would say that if it withstands the load through multiple cycles, I am confident it will last indefinitely (disregarding extreme heat/humidity etc.). Listen closely when you restring, particularly when lowering the string tension. If there's any cracking, it's a sign that the joint is being fatigued each time it's cycled, and eventually will wear out.

That being said, if it can withstand string tension, most of this goes by the wayside since that is significantly more load than most joints take.
Old 12-24-2017, 02:52 PM

i can't agree that animal glues take longer to dry. I use hide glue pretty exclusively in my work, and usually let things dry for 8 to 12 hours before they are ready for use.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Tags
bridge, classical, nylon, reglue