The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-03-2017, 06:10 AM

Default Um.. Has anyone else seen or used this?!?

So I was browsing online and came across this little invention and couldn't seem to find it on the forum through the search function. This is crazy cool http://www.tonewoodamp.com/ I couldn't imagine using it with the https://www.acpad.com/. The things you could do onstage for performance or even just for fun at home. So does anyone have any experience with the tone wood unplugged amp? I would love to know more about it from an end user perspective. I think I want one of these! I like playing with effects but sometimes don't have the convenience of plugging up I also think in a church setting this could be invaluable. We have 2 sanctuary at my church and only one is set up with all the bells and whistles. The other is a more traditional acoustic setting. Hope to hear from you all soon!
Old 02-03-2017, 07:07 AM

I would never attach (however it's done) anything like that to my guitar. That's a non starter for me.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 02-03-2017, 07:13 AM

Default tonewood amp

I have seen them, but have not used one. Neat idea for those that want to alter their sound. You can find several threads here relating to them if you look.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 02-03-2017, 07:37 AM

The only one I stumbled across was from about 2 years ago. Just was looking for something more recent see if they have gotten better. They seem like they are fun.
Old 02-03-2017, 08:46 AM

I have a TWA and it is a very cool piece of gear.
Installation of the X-brace is very simple and can easily be removed.
Attaching the unit to the back is also very simple and leaves no marks.
I use it on my Webber Roundbody while not the most expensive guitar, expensive enough not to want to do any damage to it and there have been no issues. The TWA sounds really cool and is the only way to get reverb and delay on your guitar without plugging in.
Old 02-03-2017, 08:51 AM
Charter Member

No thanks!
Old 02-03-2017, 09:28 AM

...I mean, yikes!
Old 02-03-2017, 09:32 AM

As you can see, plenty of helpful comments from those that have never tried it.
Far too routine on this forum.
Old 02-03-2017, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fret-O'File View Post
As you can see, plenty of helpful comments from those that have never tried it.
Far too routine on this forum.
Yeah. We often fear what we don't understand such is the way if humans. Fear is a great hindrance. I would like to try one out to see how it sounds on my guitar. I'm curious if any retail stores demo these. I showed my wife and told her the price. She said that's really cool and so much cheaper than you buying a bunch of pedals. Haha. Score so glad she is on board.
Old 02-03-2017, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtwilliams2448 View Post
Yeah. We often fear what we don't understand such is the way if humans. Fear is a great hindrance. I would like to try one out to see how it sounds on my guitar. I'm curious if any retail stores demo these. I showed my wife and told her the price. She said that's really cool and so much cheaper than you buying a bunch of pedals. Haha. Score so glad she is on board.
Recommending guitars and gear that we have and like is very common and totally understandable. Commenting on guitars and gear we've owned or tried and don't like, also makes sense. What I don't get is when someone craps on something they've never used before. It doesn't seem very helpful to the person inquiring about the product. It seems like people just like to talk and be heard even if they have nothing to contribute to the topic. Oh well, that's the internet for you.
Old 02-03-2017, 12:04 PM
Charter Member

Tonewood amp is a great product. I had one and had to return it due to a money crunch but it was easy to use and sounded great. The reverb using just the body of the guitar sounded better and more natural than anything I'd been able to achieve using amps and pedals before. I wish they would make a smaller, lighter one as an alternative that just had reverb since that was the only effect I ended up using with any regularity - maybe bring it in at around $99.00 without all the other bells and whistles. Now that's a product that would fly off the shelves!
Old 02-03-2017, 12:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdog49 View Post
Tonewood amp is a great product. I had one and had to return it due to a money crunch but it was easy to use and sounded great. The reverb using just the body of the guitar sounded better and more natural than anything I'd been able to achieve using amps and pedals before. I wish they would make a smaller, lighter one as an alternative that just had reverb since that was the only effect I ended up using with any regularity - maybe bring it in at around $99.00 without all the other bells and whistles. Now that's a product that would fly off the shelves!
Hmmm, another thought. Maybe have that smaller, lighter one with an option to semi-pemanently mount it inside a guitar you wanted to keep it in so you wouldn't have to mount and remount it and it would fit inside the case with it in place and ready to go at all times.
Old 02-03-2017, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fret-O'File View Post
Recommending guitars and gear that we have and like is very common and totally understandable. Commenting on guitars and gear we've owned or tried and don't like, also makes sense. What I don't get is when someone craps on something they've never used before. It doesn't seem very helpful to the person inquiring about the product. It seems like people just like to talk and be heard even if they have nothing to contribute to the topic. Oh well, that's the internet for you.
Depends on how the original question is posed. In this case, the OP wants to hear from those with hands on experience (but he DID ask if anyone had SEEN one). Most often though, the OP asks "What do you think of this?" ... in which case it's perfectly fine to speak your mind. The OP might even learn something from someone with a lot more experience. No one is more susceptible to a snake oil salesman than the inexperienced. (not implying that this TonewoodAmp is snake oil) ... but there sure are a lot of guitar/music products introduced here and elsewhere are indeed just that.
Old 02-03-2017, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyAxe View Post
Depends on how the original question is posed. In this case, the OP wants to hear from those with hands on experience (but he DID ask if anyone had SEEN one). Most often though, the OP asks "What do you think of this?" ... in which case it's perfectly fine to speak your mind. The OP might even learn something from someone with a lot more experience. No one is more susceptible to a snake oil salesman than the inexperienced. (not implying that this TonewoodAmp is snake oil) ... but there sure are a lot of guitar/music products introduced here and elsewhere are indeed just that.
I hear what you are saying and maybe I'm too sensitive about certain things.
In my opinion, people are quick to crap on things they don't know anything about, but again, it's the internet.....
Old 02-03-2017, 01:53 PM

Hi there. If you modify your topic to include the words "Tonewood Amp" and you should get more replies. There are people here who have them, but they may not click on this thread, as the title is a bit ambiguous.

Another thread for it on AGF also had an ambiguous start, but it's clear why once you read the first post. http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...t=tonewood+amp

Andy McKee sticks these on his $20,000+ Greenfield guitars. I seriously doubt that they damage the guitar when installed correctly. Here he is on the North American Guitar, who always records flat with no effects. The ToneWood Amp effects are noticeable. They call it a WoodTone Amp, but correct it in the comments below.

You can also use an idevice to make the ToneWood Amp a conduit for MIDI instrument apps.

I am looking to order one as well. It's just too cool! The biggest problem with acoustics and effects is that it rarely sounds like your guitar once you run it through an amplifier. Since these effects go through YOUR GUITAR, it really should sound like it. The natural warmth and tone of your instrument should be there. As a Canadian I would have to pay a lot more for it. Currency conversion, duty, taxes... but there just isn't anything else like it. Yamaha has an integrated system on 2 guitars. We may see much more of this in the future. Here's Yamaha's version built right into the guitar. You can't add to though. With the ToneWood Amp you get more effects and access to apps;

Click this to go to the full Yamaha page http://usa.yamaha.com/products/music...es/ta-guitars/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification