The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-12-2016, 12:21 PM
Charter Member

Default Emerald X-7 Questions

I need some help from some of you folks who own or have played Emerald guitars.

After an email conversation with Sean, I'm considering an X-7 Artisan. I currently own a CA Cargo Raw, but I would prefer a parlor-sized, carbon fiber guitar with a 1 11/16" nut width.

I like the sound of the Cargo Raw, but I have to admit that the painted Cargos were a little too hollow-sounding for me. Is there anybody here who can compare the sounds of the X-7 Artisan with a Cargo Raw? I've heard a bunch of audio clips… just wondered if any of you guys might have actually played or heard both of these. Thanks...
Old 11-12-2016, 01:31 PM

You might want to look at a Blackbird Lucky 13 and Rainsong P12 too.
Not sure of the nut width but I've got a cargo and was impressed by the Lucky 13 last year when I played one at LA Guitars
- ned
Old 11-12-2016, 02:04 PM
Charter Member

Thanks, Ned... I've tried the Rainsong, but not the Blackbird.
Old 11-12-2016, 02:48 PM

Emerald, of course, can custom build the X7 neck to the 1 11/16 nut you would like.
Old 11-12-2016, 02:54 PM
Charter Member

I know... thanks, AC, that's why I'm considering an X-7. I just wish I could play one to hear the sound compared to a Cargo.
Old 11-12-2016, 04:16 PM
Anticipation Junkie

It would be good if Ted @ LA Guitars chimes in as he's likely one of the only ones with the insight to give an accurate opinion.
Old 11-13-2016, 03:37 AM

In his previous posts, he's sometimes referred to having played Emeralds years ago, and models other or older than the current X7.

I don't "think" he was dealer for Emerald, or if so, it probably would have been a short time. So I'm not sure if he's played any of the newer Emeralds from what I've read on AGF as all sales are direct to the customer. Also, Emerald has moved on from the original center hole X7 and the X5.

There have been subtle changes/improvements since the earlier models from years ago making meaningful comparisons difficult unless you have recent experience.

I think there are probably a number on this forum who have both, or have played both, the current versions of Cargo and Emerald and hopefully, they will respond also.

I've consistently read over the years that they are both good guitars, similarly sized, but noticeably different in sound and features.

I only know the X7. I originally wanted the Cargo, but they went out of business exactly then. I went with Emerald and have been very satisfied with a keeper, and so never looked back.
Old 11-13-2016, 07:54 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac View Post
In his previous posts, he's sometimes referred to having played Emeralds years ago, and models other or older than the current X7.

I don't "think" he was dealer for Emerald, or if so, it probably would have been a short time. So I'm not sure if he's played any of the newer Emeralds from what I've read on AGF as all sales are direct to the customer. Also, Emerald has moved on from the original center hole X7 and the X5.

There have been subtle changes/improvements since the earlier models from years ago making meaningful comparisons difficult unless you have recent experience.

I think there are probably a number on this forum who have both, or have played both, the current versions of Cargo and Emerald and hopefully, they will respond also.

I've consistently read over the years that they are both good guitars, similarly sized, but noticeably different in sound and features.

I only know the X7. I originally wanted the Cargo, but they went out of business exactly then. I went with Emerald and have been very satisfied with a keeper, and so never looked back.
ac, you are likely correct.
Old 11-13-2016, 11:28 AM

Hi Kerbie,

To ac's point, in fact we were a dealer for Emerald guitars for about four years, starting in 2009, so we did sell offset sound hole models for years. In 2009, we were also Composite Acoustics biggest dealer, and sold their guitars for years after they closed, so I had plenty of opportunities to a/b the Cargo and X7OS, both of which sold for $699 at the time, BTW. Back then, the X7OS sounded percussive, had less bass response, and much less sustain, especially further up the neck, than the Cargo. In fact, I was surprised to see Emerald all the rage on the McNichol carbon forum, given that in my store, where players had a chance to play them alongside guitars from CA, Blackbird, and Rainsong, it just wasn't that popular.

But that was then, and this is now, and I'm told Alistair has revoiced his guitars to address those early concerns, while at the same time keeping the price of the X7OS reasonable, I might add. So while I don't mind commenting on two guitars I don't sell, I would really need to play a current X7OS alongside one of my personal Cargo's before I could give you my opinion. Perhaps Alistair will send me one to evaluate.
Old 11-13-2016, 06:19 PM
Charter Member

Thanks, Ted. That's interesting information. If you do get the chance to A-B them, I'd certainly like to hear your opinions. I think I'd feel better about the Emerald if I had liked the painted Cargos, but I just couldn't deal with that hollow sound. Thanks for your input.

Still hoping somebody around here will have played both the Emerald and the Raw...
Old 11-13-2016, 07:31 PM
Guest 928

Kerbie;

No one is going to be able to answer your question. The two instruments are both marvelous, but they are different. You will have to play both before you can know which is best for you.

I like your choices and think that you really can't go wrong. But the hunt is fun and one or the other of these possibilities is going to get your full attention. Good luck and enjoy the search.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber