The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-13-2014, 01:49 PM

Default Simplifying ProTools and mixing essentials

Hey all,

I am new to ProTools. Very new. I just bought a used mbox 2 and a copy of ProTools 8 LE. Everything is working just fine.

I also bought a few books for learning ProTools, based on top Amazon reviews and recommendations on a few forums. Thing is, these books seem to be aimed at people who want to make a HOBBY/PROFESSION out of the software.

I just want to be able to write and record great sounding songs with the minimal of hassle.

Specifically, I'd like to record and mix an EP along the lines of Justin Vernon's For Emma, Forever Ago in terms of austerity and atmosphere. Other albums I dig the sound of: Tom Waits Mule Variations, Bruce Springsteen's Nebraska, or Neil Young's After the Gold Rush. Raw, simple, atmospheric, with some minimal effects and a few electric tracks.

What would be great is a course, a plan of study, or just some advice on how to simplify the INSANELY HUGE body of ProTools knowledge to meet my goals.

The question I'm trying to answer is what are the minimum topics that I need to know in order to do what I want to do? And what is the easiest way to learn them?

Any tips, advice, or suggestions would be HUGELY appreciated.

Thanks all!

EDIT: I want to create something that sounds DECENT, that I could use to market my music and maybe even get a Kickstarter going. Perhaps I set the bar too high before. I am looking to create a "demo" that friends and family would also like to listen to.

EDIT: Based on the responses in this thread, I've created a learning "blueprint" for PT/mixing essentials. If anyone else wants to comment, here's a link to the plan: http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...4&postcount=21. Cheers!

Last edited by ndog1980; 06-08-2014 at 05:48 PM.
Old 05-13-2014, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndog1980 View Post
Hey all,

I am new to ProTools. Very new. I just bought a used mbox 2 and a copy of protools le8. Everything is working just fine.

I also bought a few books for learning ProTools, based on top Amazon reviews and recommendations on a few forums. Thing is, these books seem to be aimed at people who want to make a HOBBY/PROFESSION out of the software.

I just want to be able to write and record great sounding songs with the minimal of hassle.

Specifically, I'd like to record and mix an EP along the lines of Justin Vernon's For Emma, Forever Ago in terms of austerity and atmosphere. Other albums I dig the sound of: Tom Waits Mule Variations, Bruce Springsteen's Nebraska, or Neil Young's After the Gold Rush. Raw, simple, atmospheric, with some minimal effects and a few electric tracks.

What would be great is a course, a plan of study, or just some advice on how to simplify the INSANELY HUGE body of ProTools knowledge to meet my goals.

The question I'm trying to answer is what are the minimum topics that I need to know in order to do what I want to do? And what is the easiest way to learn them?

Any tips, advice, or suggestions would be HUGELY appreciated.

Thanks all!
Hi,

Youtube is a great resource if you're a new Pro tools user but keep in mind that there will be a learning curve. There are 5 ways (at least) to do the same thing and it comes down to the equipment you have (mics, guitars, monitors, etc...),the space you're recording in and the sound you're after.

There are some companies who offer videos to help people starting from square one. Groove 3 is one company that has some good stuff. I would also recommend joining Avid's website because the have a User forum that has a ton of info too.

Keep in mind that recording and mixing are skills that take years to become comfortable with. There's a lot that goes into creating great sounding records.
Old 05-13-2014, 05:25 PM

Legolas,

Really appreciate the response. I am TOTALLY prepared for this to take while to learn. That being said, I want to approach my study intelligently.

When I look at the book that I have heard is the "best" book, Pro Tools LE 8 IGNITE!, it's FILLED with what I can immediately recognize as TOTALLY UNNECESSARY information for my beginner mind.

I want to create something that sounds DECENT, that I could use to market my music and maybe even get a Kickstarter going. Perhaps I set the bar too high before. I am looking to create a "demo" that friends and family would also like to listen to.

I'm sure there is SOMEONE out there who could say "learn this, learn this, and learn this and you'll have what you need" to that question.

I'll definitely check out the resources you mentioned. Maybe that's where the gold is. Thanks again.
Old 05-13-2014, 05:35 PM

Also, I am looking at some of the resources that are out there and it seems like:
  1. Basic courses are WAAAY too basic (how to turn on your computer and record a track)
  2. Essential courses are NEVER essential (they include 80% of things that I really don't need or care to spend my time wading through - for instance, I'm a GUITARIST and I sing - I'm not interested in MIDI or video or scoring or pitch manipulation or the history of ProTools or ...)
I'm not listing this stuff to complain. I'm only trying to create some contrast and context for my question.

Last edited by ndog1980; 05-13-2014 at 05:41 PM.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Also, I am looking at some of the resources that are out there and it seems like:
  1. Basic courses are WAAAY too basic (how to turn on your computer and record a track)
  2. Essential courses are NEVER essential (they include 80% of things that I really don't need or care to spend my time wading through - for instance, I'm a GUITARIST and I sing - I'm not interested in MIDI or video or scoring or pitch manipulation or the history of ProTools or ...)
I'm not listing this stuff to complain. I'm only trying to create some contrast and context for my question.
What kind of instrumentation are you going to use? Also, are you familiar
with EQ and compression? Stereo recording? Plugins? I'm just trying to get an idea of where you're at.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legolas1971 View Post
What kind of instrumentation are you going to use? Also, are you familiar
with EQ and compression? Stereo recording? Plugins? I'm just trying to get an idea of where you're at.
Wow. Thanks for responding again. I was worried my persistence might be too much.

Instrumentation: acoustic guitar, vocals, possibly some electric piped through the mbox - MAYBE a drum or two - possibly some electric keyboard...

EQ and compression: Negative. I don't know what those things are.

Stereo recording: I have some idea. I know that recording in stereo puts sound from the instrument into both the left and right channels.

Plugins: I think these are effects that you can use to manipulate input from the instruments/vocals.

Thanks again for asking.

Have a great night.
Old 05-14-2014, 02:01 PM

Got some great input from Legolas in PM form. Anyone else? Cheers!
Old 05-15-2014, 05:23 AM

ndog,

I had a very nice workstation before I got Pro Tools 6LE some years back. I'm on Pro Tools 10 now and have a nice collection of mics and outboard preamps.

You are at the entry point of an endless hallway with many doors. It's been said that getting great sound is like sculpting masterpieces. Everything you need is already there, you just have to remove the parts that don't belong.

EQ, compression and limiting are your sculpting tools. Each one has its limitation. Learning how each one works will take time. No one just "gets it" all in one download. Hearing the differences requires patience and good monitors.

Spatially, you become an acoustical architect. It's your job to decide where to "put the furniture" in each mix. Each song presents new possibilities. Even parts of songs present possibilities. If they didn't you'd just leave the faders up and be done.

Enjoy the journey!

Regards,

Ty Ford
Old 05-15-2014, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Ford View Post
ndog,

I had a very nice workstation before I got Pro Tools 6LE some years back. I'm on Pro Tools 10 now and have a nice collection of mics and outboard preamps.

You are at the entry point of an endless hallway with many doors. It's been said that getting great sound is like sculpting masterpieces. Everything you need is already there, you just have to remove the parts that don't belong.

EQ, compression and limiting are your sculpting tools. Each one has its limitation. Learning how each one works will take time. No one just "gets it" all in one download. Hearing the differences requires patience and good monitors.

Spatially, you become an acoustical architect. It's your job to decide where to "put the furniture" in each mix. Each song presents new possibilities. Even parts of songs present possibilities. If they didn't you'd just leave the faders up and be done.

Enjoy the journey!

Regards,

Ty Ford
Great post and analogy! Opened up a new way of looking at things for me!
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 05-16-2014, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Ford View Post

Ty - This is super helpful. This gives me a framework to hang some of these concepts on - and that is pure gold. REALLY appreciate you taking the time to write this.

One thing I know about learning new things from martial arts training, learning to hunt, lifting weights, etc. is that there is always a "core" to the body of knowledge. In the same way that you're talking about chipping away the excess to get to the gold in a track, as a matter of fact.

Another thing I've learned is that most books, courses, and teachers overcomplicate things when their job should really be to teach the core and build as needed. As far as I can tell, you just did a BRILLIANT job of laying out the core of mixing. Thanks again.

Anyone else?

Last edited by ndog1980; 05-16-2014 at 11:51 AM.
Old 05-16-2014, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Ty - This is super helpful. This gives me a framework to hang some of these concepts on - and that is pure gold. REALLY appreciate you taking the time to write this.

One thing I know about learning new things from martial arts training, learning to hunt, lifting weights, etc. is that there is always a "core" to the body of knowledge. In the same way that you're talking about chipping away the excess to get to the gold in a track, as a matter of fact.

Another thing I've learned is that most books, courses, and teachers overcomplicate things when their job should really be to teach the core and build as needed. As far as I can tell, you just did a BRILLIANT job of laying out the core of mixing. Thanks again.

Anyone else?
I sent you a PM...
Old 05-16-2014, 02:01 PM

Legolas - Did you not get my response to your PM? I responded. Your tips were super helpful and I'm adding them to my growing list of good advice. Cheers!
Old 05-17-2014, 06:05 AM

Quote:

Anyone else?
Thanks! I'm glad it resonated. Teachers are frequently under a "publish or perish" pressure. They need to write books to prove their existence. The school at which they teach wants them to do this. Not all teachers are good writers. Not all writers are good teachers.

Some teachers are better at course design than others. You don't need to know math to understand sound, but it can come in handy along the way.

Similarly, I don't read music (well, not very well.) So it could be argued that music theory is beyond me. My ear training has worked out pretty well to fill the gap, but there are still aspects of composition that I don't have a handle on. Ones that would help me get from point A to point B when I get stuck. I've sort of come up with different ways of solving these problems.

Knowing the basic, core information; the frequency response spectrum so you can use EQ more effectively and how compressors and limiters operate (knowing how to use the tools) gets you pretty far.

I remember realizing that subtractive EQ was as important as additive EQ. Boy, that was an AHA! Moment. Instead of adding more highs to a sound to make it brighter, I took away some of the lows. HELLO!

Regards,

Ty Ford
Old 05-17-2014, 07:41 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Hi!

I've been a recording engineer for some thirty-five years and have taught classes. I was fortunate to study recording in college, but have had to learn the bulk of the technology since then on my own, often under time and delivery pressure. I've learned one principle that has been invaluable:

*Don't be afraid to learn only what you need to get by and then come back and fill in the gaps later.*

Beyond that, you need two kinds of information:
1. Practical and theoretical recording information, entirely separate from Protools. Stuff like: what is stereo and how and why do I record that way, what is panning, what is EQ, what is reverb, what is delay?
2. Protools operational information.

Here are some resources:
On the really basic level, Guitar Center offers a mentoring program that teaches both recording skills and Protools skills.
Many colleges and junior colleges offer introductory courses in audio and Protools. Perhaps you could audit one.
Up for some light reading? There is a Protools for Dummies book and there is a Home Recording for Dummies book. Both at Musician's Friends.

Also remember, you are smarter than the gear. Just because it is complicated and flexible doesn't make it smart. Your job is to bend it to your purposes. You don't have to become a Protools Jeddi and it sounds like you don't want to be one. Instead, approach the information like a smorgasbord and pick what you need and want.

And have fun!

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 05-17-2014, 10:17 AM
Charter Member

I think the Pro Tools for dummies is a great suggestion. or

There is also the Avid PT 101 book and DVD which is very well organized does have all the basics including midi, PT history etc. But you can simply go the chapter or exercise pertinent to what you are doing.
it is here at Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Tools-101-Introduction-Learning/dp/1285774841/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1400343131&sr=8-1&keywords=pro+tools+books

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Tags
ndog1980