The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-17-2014, 10:34 PM

Default does anyone use the boss br series or other digital recorders?

hi there just wondering if anyone else uses a boss br or another digital recorder to record your songs? how do you like it have you been using it long and why do you prefer it over a computer thanks.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:12 AM

I use both a Zoom R24 and the computer. You can find my methods of work here:
http://www.bluestemstrings.com/pageRecording1.html
Old 01-18-2014, 08:22 AM

I use a TASCAM DR-07 and I like it very much. The only downside is it doesn't have XLR inputs so I use a Behringer mixer for the mics, and plug that into the recorder. The internal mics in the recorder are junk. You can hear recordings I made with it by clicking the link in my signature.

My website:
http://draudio56.wix.com/warren-bendler

"It's hard...calming the Beatle inside of me."
Old 01-18-2014, 08:47 AM

I used a BR600 for my first CD. Depending on what you are trying to record, they can be ok, but using a computer and DAW opens up so much more ability to shape your recordings.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 01-18-2014, 12:16 PM

A digital recorder of at least 24bit res is perfectly fine for recording tracks. I use one. Mixing and editing is best left to a computer imo. I export all raw tracks to my laptop. Never lost a track nor have I lost any time related to computer issues while recording.

When it dies I won't replace it but I'll probably miss it. If i was starting out again today I would skip it and put that money towards a better preamp/interface.
Old 01-18-2014, 12:20 PM

I like uncomplicated. Most recording is to do a guitar part and then guitar rhythm for a tune that I can hand out for others to practice or learn the tune.

I use a Superscope dual well portable CD recorder and recently added a Roland portable CD recorder. Two tracks, one button record, no menus.
Old 01-18-2014, 12:31 PM
Charter Member

I have two. One is a Zoom H4N and the other is a Tascam DR-05.

I use them when wanting to lay down a song I am working on writing. For the actual recording and mixing I use an audio interface and laptop and record directly to the DAW.

Todd
Old 01-18-2014, 04:21 PM

ya i am a solo musician so its just me and my acoustic guitar. I have a boss br right now and have tired the computer recording before just seems so much simpler using the boss but thought i would post the question anyway might try computer recording again.
Old 01-18-2014, 05:37 PM
Charter Member

Recording to devices like this has some advantages like the flexibility of recording in different places - especially useful if your home acoustics aren't all that good. Editing and mixing is much harder (little screens, little tedious menus). Be aware that some (maybe all) of the Boss BR units record to a compressed format, so the quality may be less than you might want. Depends on how picky you are. Generally the quality of effects and so on also doesn't match what you can get on a computer. But recording to a digital hardware recorder, then transferring the files to a computer for mixing can work great. I use the Zoom recorders for the audio on you tube videos, for example, then do the video and audio editing on the computer afterwards. I do that mostly because I want to shoot video in a different room than my computer's in.

But I don't think recording to a computer has to be hard. Once you're set up, it should be pretty easy. I keep my mics set up, so I launch the recording software, flip the power switch on my preamp, and hit record. It takes seconds, and once I record, the tracks are all loaded, ready to edit. No files to transfer and import. All in all, I think recording to the computer is faster and easier.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:07 PM
Charter Member

Once you get the logistics of recording down, using a handheld recorder can be a good option. That is, assuming that it's just you and a guitar and you don't plan to do a lot of editing of your music. In other words, if you just want to play and sing at the same time, the recorders can sound quite good. I am fond of my Zoom and the Tascam sounds good too. Where the computer comes in handy is when you want to modify your songs in a DAW or if you want to add layers (i.e., record the strumming, then go back and sing, then go back and play lead, add drums, add bass, etc.). If you have no interest in that, the handhelds work quite well.

I am not familiar with the Boss, but the Zoom I own has the ability to record with added mics, phantom power, etc. So, I can record with one mic for the guitar and one for the vocals. That's very handy for making a song that sounds good. So, again, if you get the mic placement, levels, etc. right, you can make some nice music with these recorders.

Todd
Old 01-18-2014, 06:08 PM

I have a Boss BR-8 that I no longer use as I replaced it with a used Korg D1600. I have no problem with moving up to computer based recording when the time comes, but what I currently use is not limiting me in any way. About 6 years ago at this time, I was gonna use my tax refund to get a decent computer and interface and at the last minute, I just couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger. I ended up finding the Korg used on Ebay for under $400 shipped. The reason I moved from the Boss unit was mainly the track count. I record guitars, vocals, bass and drums so 8 tracks was somewhat limiting but I haven't run out of tracks with 16.

I am a hobbyist home recorder and the fidelity of what I use is satisfactory to me. I do use an outboard preamp (M-Audio DMP-3) and compressor (FMR RNC) in my chain going in to the recorder. If and when the Korg dies, I will move on to a computer based system, but probably not until then.

As far as the Boss unit and it's data compression goes, I had no problem with it. I started home multitracking with a 3 head reel to reel and moved to a couple of different 4 track cassette recorders. The fidelity of the Boss was much better than the cassette recorder and the reel to reel (after multiple bouncing). If your home recording is a hobby, I would say the Boss units are fine.
'18 Martin GP-28E
'65 Epiphone Zenith archtop

Last edited by DanR; 01-18-2014 at 06:13 PM.
Old 01-18-2014, 10:07 PM

Hey All,

I been thinkin on getting a BR-80 for some time now - mainly as a practice tool. Any opinions?

-Ed-

from Blaine Larsen's Song "If Merle Would Sing My Song"
Old 01-19-2014, 12:54 AM

yes i would recommend all the boss br series they are very easy to use and i made a cd in 2004 with the br 532 and sounded great i have a boss br 900cd now i have tired the computer thing but like this cause its very easy to use one button and its just me singing and playing acoustic guitar no drums no bass so its great for that.
Old 01-19-2014, 08:59 AM
Charter Member

I have a couple of recorders: the Zoom H6 and the Tascam DR-05, and the Tascam DP008ex. I replaced my Zoom H4n with the H6. I can't really put my finger on it, but I find the H6 much more intuitive for some reason. I never really took to the H4n, but am not sure why, since obviously many, many people did and do. I use the DR-05 mostly as a handheld device for figuring out tunes by ear, since it can loop and slow down MP3 files. It does record, but I think the Zoom H6 sounds better for that. The DP008ex is a miniature 8 track studio and is therefore different from the DR-05 and to some extent the H6.

The H6 does overdub and has 6 tracks, so I may find the DP008ex redundant, I don't know yet. I got the DP008ex well before the H6, and considered the H6 the replacement for my H4n, which I sold.

One BIG thing about the H6 over the H4n is BATTERY LIFE. I really don't want to be tied to a wall wart with a handheld, that is not the purpose of being hand held. The DP008ex has poor battery life, but its advantage of being small for me is that I can put it away easily in a drawer. For condo dwellers smaller is good. Having to plug it in doesn't matter to me as it would a handheld recorder such as the H6.

Anyway, I much prefer dedicated recorders to using my computer. I just like the immediacy and hands-on aspects of it. I would not argue one over the other, since it is personal choice. I think that if I were to the point of making recordings to sell as albums, a computer-based system would be necessary at some point. However, in that case, I would probably be wiser to hire a professional to do the mix and mastering, since that is a hardy skill that I have not spent time at. That isn't something you pick up in a weekend either. When you go to a pro studio, you aren't really renting the equipment, so much as the engineer's time and experience.

It goes back to the fact that we all have word processors now, but very few of us will write anything worth publishing and still far fewer will write anything worth remembering beyond one or two reads. Music/recording isn't much different in that respect. So for me to have a pro studio at home really makes little sense. Having the "scratchpad" stuff I have is fine. If I do come up with something worth recording, I would much rather have it done right, and I don't intend to put in the hours and years it takes to truly master that art. I have enough trouble finding time to make music.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 01-19-2014, 09:27 AM

I routinely use a Boss BR-600, and you can find my most recent example here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOvQoq1gNG0

I like it for a number of reasons (not in any particular order):
- it's portable, mostly intuitive, and hassle free
- works well for laying down multiple instrument tracks
- Creating a simple metronome drum track is easy and makes synchronization fairly straight forward.
- Punch in/out is also fairly straight forward and allows me to fix a mistake in what is otherwise a good take.
- I have much to learn about "mastering" and the presets in the BR are pretty decent, so they're keeping me out of trouble for now.

Anyway, hope that helps,
GC

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD