The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 06-05-2014, 07:40 AM

Default Repeatability of setup?

Last edited by unimogbert; 03-07-2023 at 05:01 PM.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:26 AM
Charter Member

Repeatability of the same sound on every recording, versus repeatability of a good, but not the same sound, on every recording require different things. Anyway in general a guitar(s) that records well, good recording gear and good post recording software - these days "good" does not have to cost a whole lot.

Got a song where the reverb setting was just right then save that reverb setting, etc. I had less success trying to write down exact mike positions and using them on the next song.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 06-05-2014, 08:27 AM

Since you're going to be "buying a few pieces of gear" for your next project it would help to know what direction you're going. A few pieces of gear can be a multi-tracker and headphones, or it could be Pro-tools, interface, and a mic cabinet.

How you keep track of your project is more a matter of how you routinely handle personal organization. Some folks need a lot, some not so much.

It sounds like you aspire to my philosophy of low-maintenance / instant gratification for recording. You might think about a setup as simple as a Zoom H1 mounted on a mic stand and a set of headphones. That'll get you what you need and no need to document any settings. My "Simple Home-style Recording" page at my website is geared precisely towards that logic.

http://www.bluestemstrings.com/pageRecording1.html
Old 06-05-2014, 08:53 AM

If you use a DAW - in other words, using a computer and software - then all your settings in the DAW are saved in the project - eincluding EQ, reverb, etc.
As to your physical set up - if you need to make note of it in a notebook or Word file, do so. Most DAWs also have a text area that can be saved in each project.

If you are using a stand-alone recorder, then by all means use whatever notation method you need to recall the details.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 06-05-2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unimogbert View Post
So my question- how do you achieve repeatability of a good setup? How do you keep track of what worked and what didn't? Since an inch makes a big difference in the results sometimes (so I've read), are you writing down the X,Y,Z coordinate measurements of mic placement? How about measuring angles from the guitar to ensure you're on the same lobe as last time?
I think that a digital camera, even a relatively poor phone camera, could be extremely useful. I'm going to assume you're going to close mic in a spaced pair setup (because if you've got a great room and are using omni mics then all of this becomes far less critical, no?). Once you've found the sound that you like for a particular guitar in a specific location, then take some photos of the setup, eg. relative positions of the stands legs, arm angles, mic positions on the stands, position in the room, surroundings etc. Take photos from your recording position as well, relative to the guitar, your leg and seating positions, etc. In conjunction with some basic notes (heights, mic spacing and orientation, neck/body position and distances from the mics, etc.) you should be able to get close enough.

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.
Old 06-05-2014, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Repeatability of the same sound on every recording, versus repeatability of a good, but not the same sound, on every recording require different things.
In my recording endeavors, I tend to start from scratch with each project. There are a number of ways to do things (mic placement being one ingredient), and I find the journey each time part of the pleasure of the process sometimes discovering new sounds along the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philjs View Post
I think that a digital camera, even a relatively poor phone camera, could be extremely useful.
Considering what I wrote above, I once achieved a particularly nice drum sound and did take pictures of the setup, but it's hard to capture every facet of the chain and for whatever reason, following the pics didn't quite reproduce the previous results. The camera thing IS worth a shot, though IMHO.
'18 Martin GP-28E
'65 Epiphone Zenith archtop
Old 06-13-2014, 03:41 PM

Last edited by unimogbert; 03-07-2023 at 05:02 PM.
Old 06-15-2014, 04:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unimogbert View Post
…how do you achieve repeatability of a good setup?
Hi uni…

I don't know how others achieve repeatable results, but for me it's detailed notes, and a sewing tape measure to measure exactly how far mics are from guitar parts...

Also, great mics/preamps, simple setups, same room, same position in the room.

Same position in the mix for everyone/every instrument in an entire project (and I keep notes on the mix too).

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD