The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-26-2014, 03:57 AM

Default rack of gear

Doug, of course, that is right. The emulating equivalent of a big rack of gear, but at a fraction of the cost. One can get that gear, learn how to use it, but put the mic in a less than optimal place, and not get as good a results as possible. Levels, yep. I'm going to have to go in real easy and humble on this, not rush it.
It is not the computer end of it, I do some freelance video editing, and know my way around a mac. I just can't seem to get a feel for recording, even though I've read quite a bit about it. Here's a recording I made with my Country Gent (electric sorry). This is through my Apogee One into Garage band. AT2050 on figure 8. I know there is a lot more I can get out of this sonically...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgXu...aCvhsapQon5zrw
Old 05-26-2014, 10:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoryDavis View Post
Here's a recording I made with my Country Gent (electric sorry). This is through my Apogee One into Garage band. AT2050 on figure 8. I know there is a lot more I can get out of this sonically...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgXu...aCvhsapQon5zrw
That was great! I don't know what you would improve on with that. The acoustic My Favorite Things was very nice, too!
Old 05-26-2014, 12:00 PM

Doug, I was already having a nice weekend. But this made it nicer, thanks for your kind words. REALLY appreciate that coming from you.
And appreciate your continuing perspective and knowledge on all these subjects.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:25 PM

Default Apollo Twin interface

I got it working. Kind of. I'm really struggling with signal flow, how to set the monitors, etc..
Is there any kind of "pre-school" instruction on how to use this that anyone knows of? I am using it with Garageband and that is not the problem I am all over that. I am just really confused by all the routing options...
Old 05-27-2014, 08:31 PM
Charter Member

I think you're being a pioneer :-) I have the UAD card - no routing there, and have only used the Apollo with the console app, not much routing to do there either. Maybe that's what you're working with? I just haven't done anything with that besides use the main outs to a PA, but I might be able to bring it up and suggest something if that's what you're struggling with.
Old 05-28-2014, 06:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I got it working. Kind of. I'm really struggling with signal flow, how to set the monitors, etc..
Is there any kind of "pre-school" instruction on how to use this that anyone knows of? I am using it with Garageband and that is not the problem I am all over that. I am just really confused by all the routing options...
Since I am not a UAD user I have no answer but I did notice on The UAD web sight a user forum which could be helpful.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 05-28-2014, 10:16 AM

Default Journey

Thanks Kev, I have taken a look there, and you are right it is helpful. My Sweetwater sales guy has been super helpful too. (Alan).
I'll say this- I got the preamps to work. I had no idea what I was missing. Broadly stated, it is letting the good signal through and keeping out the bad. Very hard to explain. No wonder people call them magic.
Doug I will be asking you questions soon, I want to get past the basics, and make the questions worthwhile, I sure appreciate it.
So, overall, I think this was worth every penny.
Old 05-31-2014, 10:02 AM

Default microphone placement

So the journey continues, everyday I learn more about the Apollo and what I can't figure out my guy at Sweetwater is answering (Alan).
Right now trying to record my electric (Gretsch) through my amp. I realize this isn't acoustic based. Anyway, I have an AT 2050 with 3 different patterns.
What is the accepted wisdom? I am experimenting. On/axis off/axis? Right up against the grill or out? Figure 8 or uni-directional?
The room I'm in doesn't sound particularly good, I am thinking the closer the better and cardioid setting... thanks.
Anyway, if anyone has any comments on the Apollo or would like a newer users perspective, that's me, happy to write back!
Old 05-31-2014, 11:44 AM

Quote:
I am thinking the closer the better and cardioid setting.............
That's what I'd do 1st, although I'd start at a distance equal to the speaker diameter or cabinet length if it has more than one driver in it. If that didn't suit me, I'd try omni. No proximity effect (bass bump) no matter how close you get to the source and the closer you get, the less room you will hear except in the absence of signal from the amp.
Old 06-09-2014, 01:32 PM

Even with the same mic, preamp, player and interface - there are other things just as important...

Exact placement of mic relative to instrument or voice is as large a contributor
Room treatment as always
Engineering skill as to how to EQ and compress the resulting recording.

So- once one gets above the few hundred dollar level on mics and interfaces the skill of the artist and recorder/mixer becomes easily as large as the gear.

I am right now comparing two mics where one cost 20X as much as the other. The difference is enough to make me want the more expensive one but far smaller than the 20X price would imply :-)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD