The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-17-2014, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakedi View Post
My comments were about the ability to tell mics apart and the effect that preamps have on *this* ability. it is not about the ability to tell preamps apart.

However even with the above experiment my standard response would be try it for yourself and believe your own ears.

I'll try an experiment but not sure how it will pan out because I'd have to replay everything each recording which might affect the outcome. But seriously, it's a really a case of don't just believe what others (including me) say ... try it all out yourself ... maybe in a studio or good music store ... to my humble ears different mics sound different , (and even different preamps sound different although it's not what I said). Whether one is better than the other is debatable ... but different they are for sure ... to my ears at least.
+1

Regards,

Ty Ford
Old 05-19-2014, 10:41 PM

Everyone knows that players from Ogden, UT are not to be trusted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
Not True - in your opinion! Maybe that is what you find in your situation, but that is polar opposite to what I've found in mine!!!

We can debate this till we both turn blue, but I'd say your post reeks of condescension, as if, those who disagree with your point, have untrained ears or a lack of knowledge of gain staging, as if you know something as an expert, as opposed to the unknowledable masses. I spend at least 4 to 6 hours a day, 6 days a week playing through acoustic amplification for a living. I'll play for a small group one day, and hundreds, or thousands later.

The reason I get so many gigs is that I put a focus on the sound I present, as in quality of sound, and approriate volume levels for the occasion.

When I set out to build my solo acoustic performance PA, I AB'd many mixers and amps back to back in an area big enough to open up the PA at performance levels, my main focus was unpowered mixers to start. The music store I dealt with allowed me to bring these mixers to my area of choice and return the ones I didn't want. After exhaustive testing, at equal gains, I found certain preamps that seemed to couple more musically with the mics I like, and I can guarantee I set them all up for equal gain staging.

I do alot of fly-in gigs and I usually backline certain powered speakers, but I always travel with my unpowered mixers, and mics, in my suitcase so I can have consistency.

So there is the opposite side of the coin.

Last edited by midwinter; 05-20-2014 at 03:04 PM.
Old 05-26-2014, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post
Everyone knows that players from Ogden, UT are not to be trusted.
You got me there!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD