The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-11-2016, 12:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andare View Post
Last week I jammed with a friend. He owns a no name, cheap dreadnought he bought in a pawn shop for about $25. He had to reglue the bridge, change the pins and do other minor adjustments. Basically a genuine POS.

Well, it blows my Takamine EG332C (solid cedar top cutaway) out of the water, especially in how much bass it has. Notes feel like they're springing from the guitar.
My Takamine, on the other hand, sounds totally dead. The notes are nice but there's no projection, no bass, no sustain, even with new strings.
I adjusted the truss rod, the string action, cleaned the fretboard, bought different string gauges, the works, yet every other guitar I've tried was easier to play.
It's my first and only acoustic, a high school graduation present from my parents that I personally picked out of many instruments back when I knew nothing over 20 years ago.

Just bummed out.
I'm now looking for a parlor and ready to pull the trigger on an old, cheap Framus. Can't suck worse than my Takamine.

Has anyone had similar experiences?
With your list of complaints about your tak, a parlor isn't going to make you feel a lot better. You need a spruce top, hog back and sides dread, all solid wood.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 12-11-2016, 12:28 PM

i think the point the Original Poster was trying to make was just that the "cheap pawnshop guitar" sounded better than his elec/acoustic Tak does when the Tak is played acoustically. And he has posted since that he is quite happy with the Tak as a plugged in stage guitar. So although the thread title makes it sound like he hates the Tak, that doesn't seem to be the case. He just wants (a) reassurance that elec/acoust guitars are often not great acoustic guitars and (b) maybe suggestions for affordable acoustics. Is that right, andare?
Old 12-11-2016, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
i think the point the Original Poster was trying to make was just that the "cheap pawnshop guitar" sounded better than his elec/acoustic Tak does when the Tak is played acoustically. And he has posted since that he is quite happy with the Tak as a plugged in stage guitar. So although the thread title makes it sound like he hates the Tak, that doesn't seem to be the case. He just wants (a) reassurance that elec/acoust guitars are often not great acoustic guitars and (b) maybe suggestions for affordable acoustics. Is that right, andare?
Yes, and it's funny that I was called a troll.
I chose the guitar when all I knew was the horrible Les Paul replica I learned on when I was 15. My parents' budget was low, this Takamine was the best sounding guitar the shop had in that price range. I have no complaints and it's my first and only acoustic with lots of sentimental value.
It's just that over 20 years later it's shocking to find out a ratty old plank sounds better.

This forum is pretty informative. However I will never have the budget and the chance to even try American made instruments. They are hard to come by and they're a lot more expensive over here where wages are extremely low.
This also means there are few quality used guitars around. People just never had the money here. If you manage to find a pawn shop it'll be full of accordions

Thanks everybody for your input!
Old 12-11-2016, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Yes, and it's funny that I was called a troll.
I chose the guitar when all I knew was the horrible Les Paul replica I learned on when I was 15. My parents' budget was low, this Takamine was the best sounding guitar the shop had in that price range. I have no complaints and it's my first and only acoustic with lots of sentimental value.
It's just that over 20 years later it's shocking to find out a ratty old plank sounds better....
Maybe not so surprising, this

Quote:
Of course I played the guitar. He played mine too. It's not a matter of skills, the difference was audible to both.
and this

Quote:
I know all about guitar setup, I have all the necessary tools ....
when you've just joined the forum are kinda trollish. If you already know everything why are you asking questions?
Old 12-11-2016, 01:44 PM

Maybe the pawnshop owner was a boob and sold a D-18 for $25.
Old 12-11-2016, 02:01 PM

This post does sound Trollish to me.

Seems like you're pushing the "I'm not really fond of Tak, Taylor, Gibson,Yamy" button.

This seems to happen A LOT on this board.

Start a I don't get why people like these ______ guitars thread just to get people riled up.
'81 Martin 7-28 7/8 D-28
'03 Taylor Jumbo Custom
'04 Ramirez 1-E Classical
'09 Breedlove Roots OM/SR acoustic/electric
‘15 Martin Centennial DC - 28E
Old 12-11-2016, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
Maybe not so surprising, this

and this

when you've just joined the forum are kinda trollish. If you already know everything why are you asking questions?
I wasn't asking questions about setup, only about the sound.
Old 12-11-2016, 02:12 PM

Life is too short to fool with poor sounding and playing guitars. Get rid of it.

Many of the older Japanese guitars were based off designs from the late 60's - made for playing really hard with heavy (not medium) strings outdoors or in a noisy bar live. If there was a mic - it was for the lead singer... And if you didn't play loud - nobody could dance.

Playing softly on these guitars with light strings is an excercise in futility. You can't even hear them.

Now.... If you don't intend to play like that... Sell it and buy a newer guitar that sounds good to you. You would be surprised with the new $100 Mitchell's and Rogues. They rebraced and revoiced them for lighter indoor play... And they sound good like this... But they simply cannot handle heavy strings and hard play as if you were playing live unamplified in a noisy bar or a church behind the choir, piano, and organ.

Thanks
Old 12-11-2016, 02:18 PM

Okay, so if you're happy with the Tak when it's plugged in & you are looking for an affordable acoustic-only guitar, Yamaha acoustics get consistently high ratings for quality + affordability. Example: Yamaha F335, 4.5 stars out of 5 in 160 reviews at Guitar Center, price $159. Never played that model myself, don't know what they cost in eastern Europe, but hope this points you in the right direction.
Old 12-11-2016, 05:38 PM

Tak fan here. First I'll say I have no knowledge about the model you are talking about.

However you seem to be having two separate issues playability and tone/projection.

Unless the guitar has major manufacturing issues or has become warped twisted or has been worn out, there is no reason a proper set up cannot make this guitar easy to play.

I know you have mentioned you have the tools and knowledge to set up. That maybe true. I'm not trying to discredit or insult you but how many different guitars have you set up to know if you are getting it right? As pointed out very subtle changes can have a big impact.

I've heard no mention of fret wear? You mentioned you cleaned the finger board but no mention of fret dressing, crowning and action set up.

I agree with what's been mentioned here. A full professional set up would make your guitar play easy unless it needs a neck reset or there's other non brand specific guitar issues at play here.

Tone wise. It sounds like you do not like it. Some of that could be also set up related. Perhaps you are not getting clean sustaining notes because the frets are worn. Perhaps your saddle is not sitting down right or as mentioned previous strings are embedding into the sound board or braces need some clamp and glue work.

You said yourself you picked it over numerous other guitars at the time. Sure you didn't know about guitars but you've been listening to things since you were born so I'd say you heard something there that appealed to you.

Perhaps you're tastes have changed. But I have a feeling your guitar is not sounding like it used to and now needs some attention.

That's not to say you have not grown out of that guitar.

Don't get hung up on this other guitar.
Because that guitar seems to be an unknown perhaps vintage acoustic guitar that could well be a handmade guitar from a skilled luthier in Easter Europe. Just because the guitar may look like nothin special and comes from a pawn shop means nothing.

So for the final thought. Don't worry you cannot buy an American made guitar. Sure their are beautiful American guitars, but their are equally beautiful guitars made all over the world. Frankly when it comes to more budget friendly guitars you are likely to get a better sounding playing guitar from a non American company. Takamine being one. So check out the newer ones. I'd also be hot on the heels of a Yamaha and there are many others.

You do not need huge money to buy a guitar in order to make beautiful music.

After all you said I get the picture that with wages being low and guitars expensive I would seriously be looking at your own Tak again and seeing if it can be rectified. If for nothing else it will allow you to get maximum enjoyment out of it while you; save hunt or whatever else to get another guitar that fits your interest. Then if your Tak plays and sounds it's best you will be able to sell it easier then if it sounds and plays as bad as
You say it does now.

Cheers
Old 12-11-2016, 05:39 PM

you should have experienced my first 'Guitar' which was more of a 'Thing', at least that's how other players described it. I'm sure your Takamine plays like a dream in comparison. It was so bad that I don't even want to talk about it. Found a better one after 5 years of struggle, once I found a job and made some money. Today I have 9,

Ludwig
Old 12-11-2016, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mischief View Post
Tak fan here. First I'll say I have no knowledge about the model you are talking about.

However you seem to be having two separate issues playability and tone/projection.

Unless the guitar has major manufacturing issues or has become warped twisted or has been worn out, there is no reason a proper set up cannot make this guitar easy to play.

I know you have mentioned you have the tools and knowledge to set up. That maybe true. I'm not trying to discredit or insult you but how many different guitars have you set up to know if you are getting it right? As pointed out very subtle changes can have a big impact.

I've heard no mention of fret wear? You mentioned you cleaned the finger board but no mention of fret dressing, crowning and action set up.

I agree with what's been mentioned here. A full professional set up would make your guitar play easy unless it needs a neck reset or there's other non brand specific guitar issues at play here.

Tone wise. It sounds like you do not like it. Some of that could be also set up related. Perhaps you are not getting clean sustaining notes because the frets are worn. Perhaps your saddle is not sitting down right or as mentioned previous strings are embedding into the sound board or braces need some clamp and glue work.

You said yourself you picked it over numerous other guitars at the time. Sure you didn't know about guitars but you've been listening to things since you were born so I'd say you heard something there that appealed to you.

Perhaps you're tastes have changed. But I have a feeling your guitar is not sounding like it used to and now needs some attention.

That's not to say you have not grown out of that guitar.

Don't get hung up on this other guitar.
Because that guitar seems to be an unknown perhaps vintage acoustic guitar that could well be a handmade guitar from a skilled luthier in Easter Europe. Just because the guitar may look like nothin special and comes from a pawn shop means nothing.

So for the final thought. Don't worry you cannot buy an American made guitar. Sure their are beautiful American guitars, but their are equally beautiful guitars made all over the world. Frankly when it comes to more budget friendly guitars you are likely to get a better sounding playing guitar from a non American company. Takamine being one. So check out the newer ones. I'd also be hot on the heels of a Yamaha and there are many others.

You do not need huge money to buy a guitar in order to make beautiful music.

After all you said I get the picture that with wages being low and guitars expensive I would seriously be looking at your own Tak again and seeing if it can be rectified. If for nothing else it will allow you to get maximum enjoyment out of it while you; save hunt or whatever else to get another guitar that fits your interest. Then if your Tak plays and sounds it's best you will be able to sell it easier then if it sounds and plays as bad as
You say it does now.

Cheers
You make good points.

The frets are really flat and low. They need to be crowned for sure and probably levelled but that's really a job for the pros. I'm sure that would improve playability, sustain and tone.
I also have an electric that needs a lot of work, a new nut and bridge etc. I used it to make my EP even if it's close to unplayable.
Currently saving up for these repairs.

I'll definitely look into Yamahas. A friend has one and it sounds great.
Old 12-11-2016, 08:09 PM

I just thought of something else, not sure if it has been mentioned. Its getting cold, and dry. Dont know where the OP lives but my guitars are getting the winter blues. Could be, yes???
Old 12-11-2016, 08:35 PM

Well you just cured my gas for a Takamine GN20CE.....

Old 12-11-2016, 11:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
Look on the bright side, if $25 guitars sound that good to you , you will be saving a lot of money in the future.
-------------------------------------------------------That's very funny---Spoken with the gravity of Homer Simpson!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
cedar, cheap, framus, parlor, takamine