The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-24-2016, 11:03 AM

Default Recording King thoroughly impressed me

Yesterday I posted a thread asking about an inexpensive gigging guitar. And as a result of that I decided that I would go poke around at guitar center last night to see what was floating around.

I didn't find anything that really filled the niche that Im looking for. but I did notice that they had one of the new Recording King all solid wood parlor/ small bodied guitars available for less than 300 bucks. I probably wont be getting one myself but wanted to let anyone here that was interested know that to me they sounded great. Present Bass, a little bump in the mids that seem to be typical of most smaller bodied guitars, and clean clear highs.

It's incredible to me that they are able to offer these for so little. The body on this one looked to be maybe a 000 style with binding around the soundhole, and outer edge of the top. Also, the neck actually had peal-ish fret-marker inlays. Also as a plus the poly finish did indeed seem to be super thin as advertised.

I wish I had thought to make a not of the model number.

2019 j45 Studio

Fender Stratocaster

Fender Jazz Bass

Vox AC15
Old 06-24-2016, 11:23 AM

I believe that model is not all solid wood. (I've seen it too and researched it afterword, but don't recall the exact model of the top of my head. It is instead a solid wood TOP with lam back and sides.
Old 06-24-2016, 11:27 AM

Recording King*ROS-G9M EZ Tone Select All Solid Acoustic Guitar*Natural. 299.00 at Guitar Center
Silver Creek T-160
Fender cd-140s
Guild GAD-50atb
Old 06-24-2016, 11:31 AM
Charter Member

Sounds like a guitar from the new EZ Tone line. They are indeed all solid.
Cool little guitar- really strange feeling neck on the one I played though....

madhat.
Old 06-24-2016, 11:39 AM

I would advise you to play one first. As I wrote before I was not impressed with the sound and I played two in two stores.

Again, I know each acoustic guitar sounds different. That's why I tried two of them. Certainly I know that is not a broad-enough sampling but it was enough to sort of turn me off.

Many Guitar Center stores have that model in stock. Musicians Friend is showing it has in stock the other models in the series, the O and the dreadnought.

So, try it. You might like it.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 06-25-2016, 06:07 AM

I've got one of the all solid ROS-10 12 fret 000 Recording Kings. The guitar has some finish flaws but man it sounds great. Well worth whatever I paid for it (under $400).
Old 06-25-2016, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johna2u View Post
Recording King*ROS-G9M EZ Tone Select All Solid Acoustic Guitar*Natural. 299.00 at Guitar Center
It very well could have been this model. I played one about 3 weeks ago and it was quite good - every bit as good as our "house guitar" - the ROS-10. I'm glad I wasn't in the market, honestly. If it was the EZ tone it was most likely all solid at that price.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 06-25-2016, 07:59 AM
Charter Member

I have an RD-06 (D-18 copy, solid top, lam b/s) that lives at my office. Other than upgraded tuners (Grovers) and ebony pins, it's stock. I play it at lunchtime and during breaks. It impresses me every time I pick it up...I gotta say, it would definitely make a good gigging instrument, and could easily be a main guitar for someone.

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 06-25-2016, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spayne99 View Post
I've got one of the all solid ROS-10 12 fret 000 Recording Kings. The guitar has some finish flaws but man it sounds great. Well worth whatever I paid for it (under $400).
Same for my RO-10 14 fret 000.
Most folks would never see the finish flaws, I don't anymore.
Old 06-25-2016, 09:41 AM
Charter Member

I've owned three RKs and enjoyed them all. I wish they'd find a better way of glueing the bridge but still they are a bargain.
Old 06-25-2016, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkgtr View Post
I wish they'd find a better way of glueing the bridge but still they are a bargain.
Every time I read this I have to go check mine. Like it is some kind of internet voodoo.
So far, solid as a rock.
Old 06-25-2016, 11:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverwolf View Post
Every time I read this I have to go check mine. Like it is some kind of internet voodoo.
So far, solid as a rock.
Written by a guy who reglued the bridge on his Schoenberg Cutaway Single 0 RP1-626C (not a cheap guitar),.. still a fan because of the quality and specs found on most RKs but I hoping RK changes their bridge glueing procedure.

Mine had epoxy poorly drizzled on the bridge and the bridge was glued directly to the finish. Was a bear to remove and prepare.

Still with the price paid, the cost of a bridge reglue isn't tremendous relative to the value of the guitar,.. still,..

And I wish you best luck, maybe it'll never be an issue for you.
Old 06-26-2016, 01:42 PM

I have played the new ones at GC and they are nice. I have always preferred Recording King over a lot of other brands. I have had a few of the parlor size and they were sweet, all solid wood. I moved those two and got an RD227 torched headstock. Great guitar but lacked volume. My last one I acquired about 4 months ago was a CL steal. I picked up a pretty rare one for here in the US. I got a like new RO126S. Its like a 00018 all solid wood, nice darkened Sitka and Mahogany back and sides bone nut and saddle, Grover butterbean tuners, Rosewood bridge and fingerboard, one piece Mahogany neck, Ivory bridge pins, 24.9 scale with a 1 3/4 nut, dovetail neck joint, Herringbone trim and scalloped forward X bracing. This thing screams vintage Martin and its a beauty to look at and she sounds great, plays amazing all for under 250 bucks. Oh did I say it came with the original hard shell case. I use this as my travel, couch, camping and beach guitar. If you see one grab it while you can, from my research they are rare and you get a lot of top shelf features.
Old 06-26-2016, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-in-Ohio View Post
I have an RD-06 (D-18 copy, solid top, lam b/s) that lives at my office. Other than upgraded tuners (Grovers) and ebony pins, it's stock. I play it at lunchtime and during breaks. It impresses me every time I pick it up...I gotta say, it would definitely make a good gigging instrument, and could easily be a main guitar for someone.

I think I've played this same model. I was impressed at how good it was for the money.
Old 06-26-2016, 03:26 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverwolf View Post
So far, solid as a rock.
Same here..........

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
parlor, recording king, solid wood