The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-10-2019, 10:18 AM

Default Loar LO-18-VS Adirondack

Has anybody tried this out? I’d been looking for something to learn blues on and my 12 fret dread is way too big for me for blues. I’ve only found 4 videos and the stock company review. Anybody have a chance to try this yet? Seems like a Gibson l-00 clone and sounds good in the videos, but how well do Loar’s play? It had me at Adirondack top and solid hog back/sides so I pulled the trigger on a factory sample model. I’m now in that high anticipation mode right now where I’m scratching for info to fill the void. I’ll give my review after I get it.
Old 03-21-2020, 09:05 AM

How do you like it? I like the specs on that model, looking for small body thicker neck 13/4 nut. Looked at Blueridge and others but the neck too thin for me. I saw a Recording King Ro T 16 that I think might fit the bill. Was curious on how you like The loar?
Old 03-21-2020, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarry gercia View Post
How do you like it? I like the specs on that model, looking for small body thicker neck 13/4 nut. Looked at Blueridge and others but the neck too thin for me. I saw a Recording King Ro T 16 that I think might fit the bill. Was curious on how you like The loar?
Skip the Loar and get the RK.

Both have 1.75" nuts. I had a LO-16. Very loud. Very bright. Very heavy. I tried & tried to like it, but couldn't and sold it. I enjoy fat necks too, and it definitely had that. My RK Ros-10 has a thick baseball-battish neck, but a more comfortable profile. MUCH better tone. Not as loud, but sounds and plays fantastic. It sounded "stringy" at first, but has matured into a very warm and round tone.

Resell on any Loar guitar is absolutely dismal to boot.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 03-21-2020, 09:48 AM

I've got a Loar LH-200 that is in a similar size (OO). I love it. Plays and sounds great. Mines not harsh or brash at all. Neck is very comfy. It's hard to believe I got that much guitar for that little money. The LH-250 is solid b&s's, but mine has been great.
Old 03-21-2020, 01:46 PM
Charter Member

A friend of mine has one of these, it’s a nice little blues box for the price. He uses it for slide so the action is a bit on the higher side but it sounds good strummed too. The top is indeed solid Adirondack but I think the back and sides are laminate mahogany, not solid. Could be wrong though.
Old 03-21-2020, 06:49 PM

I'd love to get my hands on a LO-18. I bought a Grindstone a while back and so far has been a great guitar for the money.
Old 03-21-2020, 07:12 PM

I just checked Dawgrit’s posts and the last time he was active on the forum was in October last year. So I doubt he’ll see this revitalized thread.

So far I’ve only played one Loar guitar, an all-solid wood archtop that’s a very accurate copy of the early 1920’s Gibson L-5 archtop made famous by Mother Maybelle Carter. As it happens, years ago I had the chance to play one of her personal L-5’s, though not the one that’s in museum in Nashville.

But the Loar struck me as an excellent guitar for the money, and a faithful replica of the original. It belongs to one of my longtime musical collaborators, and he gets some good jazz tones out of it.

Naturally, I couldn’t resist the impulse and I capoed it at the 7th fret and played “Wildwood Flower” - which I also did when I played Mother Maybelle’s!

It sounded perfect....

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 03-22-2020, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
Skip the Loar and get the RK.

Both have 1.75" nuts. I had a LO-16. Very loud. Very bright. Very heavy. I tried & tried to like it, but couldn't and sold it. I enjoy fat necks too, and it definitely had that. My RK Ros-10 has a thick baseball-battish neck, but a more comfortable profile. MUCH better tone. Not as loud, but sounds and plays fantastic. It sounded "stringy" at first, but has matured into a very warm and round tone.

Resell on any Loar guitar is absolutely dismal to boot.
Thanks for the info, the RK RO T 16 doesn't have solid b/s the loar specs says it's solid hard to believe for the price. I do like the baked top on the RK. Does any one know if there is another brand that's in a porch, campfire price range that's solid b/s hog spruce top that's decent and has a thicker neck with 1 3/4? I think I saw an alverez a while back om solid but don't remember the neck profile. Unfortunately at this point in time with all that is going on in the world today, I'll have to order sight unseen so any information and experience with any of these guitars would be a big help and greatly appreciated. I'm not going to go to used route this time, and I can do some set up if the new one comes through with an undesirable action.
Old 04-16-2021, 05:28 PM

Wow, years later, here I still sit with my Loar 18. I have since got a Waterloo for blues. I like my blues punchy and dry. This Adirondack rings forever. It’s my “pretty” sounding guitar. I love it for finger style. Midnight in Montgomery sounds amazing. Although even with its smaller size the Adirondack allows me to strum pretty hard before it hits its ceilings. This is a great guitar at its price.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
blues, l-00, loar, parlor, parlour