The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-22-2021, 05:55 AM
Charter Member

Default What do you think of the Martin molded cases?

Not the old blue one;

I know everyone hated that one. The ''new'' one;

I got it with my ''new'' GP-28e. When I first saw it in the box, I was disappointed, but when I lifted it out and felt how light it was, and when I opened it and saw how securely it holds the guitar, I started to appreciate it.

I like the case. It checks all the boxes for me; it's lightweight, it's very well padded, it holds the guitar securely, and it seems very durable.

I could see me getting on a flight and checking this case with my Road Series GPC in it with no worries.

What you think of these ''new'' molded cases?
Old 04-22-2021, 06:15 AM
Charter Member

I think they're pretty durable but I'm not a fan overall. Be careful of "latch bite" as the lid will close on you and/or your guitar. I prefer the Geib style cases better. Just my two cents?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 04-22-2021, 06:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
I think they're pretty durable but I'm not a fan overall. Be careful of "latch bite" as the lid will close on you and/or your guitar. I prefer the Geib style cases better. Just my two cents?
Agree with this. Overall they are fine, but the lightweight & balance seem to cause the top of the case to come down as you remove the guitar from the case, I’ve had 2 of my Martins dented by the latch when this happened. Careful!
Old 04-22-2021, 06:26 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
Yep, what Jim said. The plus is that they are light and durable. The big negative is that you have to be extremely careful every time you take your guitar in/out or you’ll be yet another victim of “latch bite.”

Old 04-22-2021, 06:28 AM

I'm debating whether or not the Geib cases are worth the extra $150.
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 04-22-2021, 06:31 AM

The one that my OM-28 came with smelled so horrible from the adhesive that it made the guitar smell horrible as well.

I quickly ordered a 000-sized Martin/TKL 12C330 wood/tolex case (the one that has the vanilla scent added) and sold the ugly, stinky molded case on Craig's List. Much happier now!
1984 Rickenbacker 330
1990s Mosrite (Kurokumo) Ventures
2002/2005 Fender Japan '60s Tele [TL-62-66US]
2008 Hallmark 60 Custom
2018 Martin Custom Shop 00-18 slot-head

1963 Fender Bandmaster (blonde blackface)
1965 Ampeg Gemini I
2020 Mojotone tweed Champ kit build
Old 04-22-2021, 06:35 AM
Charter Member

When I first got a new HD-28 a few years ago, I was appalled that they came in these cases - yes I agree they are relatively lightweight, but these have the appearance of those cheap band instrument cases we had to endure in the mid-80s - not a good look.

However, last summer when I was watching the Grand Ole Opry stream, I saw this interview with a guy who was raving about his Henderson D-42, and I was curious to see what he was talking about so I looked it up. And it was a super premium instrument, but what caught my eye at the bottom of the page was these were shipped with the EXACT SAME (with Henderson logo instead) case! And at that point I changed my mind - if these are good enough for a Henderson, who am I to say otherwise?

My Emerald guitar came in a Hiscox case which looks similar - after seeing the Henderson in these, I don't complain any longer.
PRS SE P20E Parlor
Martin Backpacker
Old 04-22-2021, 06:41 AM

I think they’re fine. Nothing special, and if I was on the road with a guitar I’d pack in something better. But for us hobbyists, they’re ok.

Rb
Old 04-22-2021, 06:48 AM
Charter Member

Since I read about ''latch bite'' on here, I've always been careful taking the guitar out or putting it back in every case. I've made a habit of keeping my arm in the way of the lid.

Are you guys saying that because the lid is so light it's more prone to closing? The latches are about the same as on other cases. They're even a little smaller.
Old 04-22-2021, 06:50 AM
Charter Member

Look at poor John Prine lugging the heavy old Martin Case;

He's all tipped over to the other side!
Old 04-22-2021, 06:54 AM

I'm presuming it's an ABS case. They're fine for knocking around town and keeping it safe in the house. I would not consider baggage checking it on an airline, the way the handlers throw them around and drop them from heights, that case will get smashed.

Both of my Taylors came in similar cases. After 20 years, one of them cracked up near the headstock and proceeded fall apart in huge chunks. The case had never been knocked over or anything. I called Taylor to see if they'd cut me a break on one of their new wooden cases, nope! $200.

The Hiscox is a completely different critter, they'll survive fall off a moving vehicle. They also insulate with a foam that provides thermal protection. In between, Gator's TSA series cases are constructed of polyethylene which is supposedly much more rugged. Their latches and handles are very easy on the fingers.
Old 04-22-2021, 06:56 AM

We used to call those blue molded Martin cases "Steal Me" cases.
Old 04-22-2021, 07:16 AM
Charter Member

What happens to plastic as it ages?

My first plastic case was a fender Bullitt Strat. The ones before they started using the Squire name.

Bought the guitar for the feel of the neck. Was played by our rhythm player.

Case came apart in chunks in 6 mo.

I like wooden/tolex cases
Old 04-22-2021, 07:22 AM

Got a couple ... they’re just fine for casual use but I’d never use one for checking a guitar for air travel.
Cordoba C-10
Martin 000-15
... and a few others ...
Old 04-22-2021, 08:00 AM

It's a love/hate thing. They are a little better in terms of temp and humidity control. They are lighter and a bit smaller than Geib cases. But, the latches have always bothered me. I actually carry my guitar around town in a Godin Tric case for that reason. It uses an outer cloth cover with a zipper. No potential for case bite.

A substantial step up from the Martin molded case is the Hiscox Pro II.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion