The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-21-2021, 09:02 AM
Musical minimalist

Apparently about 18 years of horse trading after joining this forum to get the instruments in my signature.

Old 04-21-2021, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post

You do know that many translate GAS as GEAR Acquisition Syndrome...

yep!!!!!!! but this seemed to me to be dealing with the very specific and high contagious GUITAR strain
Old 04-21-2021, 03:12 PM

The one guitar that you pick up every time,that’s all.
If you need to decide ,you’ haven’t found the one yet,it’s that simple.
Old 04-21-2021, 05:30 PM

Quote:
to make you really free of GAS (as in guitars)? I ask because as one who has bought and sold more guitars over the past ten years than I can or care to remember, I really think that I've achieved a perfect combination of guitars for me. I know what you're thinking, but this time it really seems and feels different. So what would it take for you to remain free of additional guitar purchases???
First off, to swear off buying more. That was me 3 guitars ago. But then I was having some old age hand problems and I got a used short scale TAylor 412e-R Grand Concert. Kept me in the game. Then I found a beat-up Epiphone EJ-200 for less than a song, had it repaired, and now I have a great laminate jumbo for wicked humid weather. And then . . .

. . . then someone offered a nice deal on a guitar I had been looking at, and boom. Bob's your uncle. Or something like that.

By the way RP, thanks again for my last guitar, the Taylor 458 12 string Grand Orchestra.

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo

Last edited by donlyn; 04-21-2021 at 07:54 PM.
Old 04-21-2021, 11:36 PM
Charter Member

What would it take... to make you really free of GAS?

I am considerably less interested in buying new stuff today, now that I am retired and have less money coming in, than I was let's say 10-12 years ago. But I still feel the temptation to buy something modestly priced, like a medium cost dobro or a Gretsch 5420.

What would it take to wipe out all temptation? Not to make light of this at all, but I think I'd have to know I was terminally ill.

Thank goodness, I am still fairly healthy.

- Glenn
Old 04-22-2021, 09:24 AM
Charter Member

...I will likely peruse the AGF classifieds on the day I sign off...as in buy the farm...
Old 04-22-2021, 09:54 AM

I've accepted that I enjoy buying and selling guitars. My collection is far beyond my abilities but that's OK (and my playing is improving everyday). I try to buy smart so that when I sell I'll recoup most, and sometimes more than, my original cost. Win some, lose some there so in the long run it has been a cheap hobby. And I've had the chance to own some really nice guitars. Now that I've narrowed down what I really like I'm trying to get to 3 guitars plus a mando. Almost there! But I don't think I'll ever not buy a guitar when I see a good deal on something I want. It's just part of the fun! I'm fortunate in that my wife is very supportive and we've reached the stage in our life when the kids are raised and there's disposable income available - that sure wasn't the case in earlier days.
Old 04-22-2021, 12:06 PM

Quote:
...I really think that I've achieved a perfect combination of guitars for me....
I think I'm also in that place, but not without a lot of buying and selling. According to my spreadsheet , over the past 10 years I've acquired 25 guitars at a total price of $17,670. (That's an average of about $700 per guitar.) And I've sold 19 of that 25 for an income of $12,600. So the remaining guitars I've kept cost me about $5,000; however, I estimate my remaining guitars have a value of $10,850. The income from the guitars I've sold is actually about $2,000 more than what they cost me. (For 19 guitars, that's a average of $100 "profit" per sold guitar. So I lost money on some, gained on others.)

As I said, I've got what I want, and I'm not in the market for any additional guitar. If I hit the powerball, I might buy a couple more.

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 04-22-2021, 01:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donlyn View Post
...By the way RP, thanks again for my last guitar, the Taylor 458 12 string Grand Orchestra.

Don
Always glad to help out, Don...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 04-22-2021, 01:09 PM

Guitar acquisition syndrome? I would say being broke will cure it. It sure does help with me, having only one guitar and it's even a $1200 one that I consider my forever.
Old 04-22-2021, 02:22 PM
Charter Member

I got some guitars that were good enough that I can walk out of Gryphon with no regrets. Of course, I stick to my rule that if I would not be willing or able to buy a guitar, I don't pick it up, so that 40 J 35 gets left alone.

Concurrent to the above, I have figured out how much more I enjoy improving my playing than buying more stuff. Now a big part of this is being retired. I was always bribing myself to tolerate the rat race.

I think most people would be far better off spending $2000 with the right teacher than buying a new guitar. I have always loved to practice.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 04-22-2021, 03:00 PM

My GAS is not related to any need for musical instruments. It is directly proportional to my level of stress in the rest of my life.
Old 04-22-2021, 03:10 PM

Was it Benjamin Franklin that said "nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes, and GAS.".
Old 04-22-2021, 03:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frances50 View Post
Upcoming retirement.
Same here. Retiring in about a year so trying to get to a place where I'm covered and happy. I'm there right now but a year is a long time so we'll see. But once I retire then I'll need to be a bit more frugal, at least at first since we're retiring a little early so we won't have much of an income for several years.

As for the OP who states that he's very happy this time with where he's at, I notice three Rainsongs. Great guitars. I own one. A few years back I was very happy with my three Emeralds. Two months later all three were gone! Good luck!
Old 04-22-2021, 03:32 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Interesting that AFG tends to encourage high-frequency buying and selling...but then follows it up with a dose of guilt. Why encourage something you expect folks to feel guilty about? Even giving it a name that hints of pathology - Guitar Acquisition Syndrome. I’m all in on buying/selling whenever I find a guitar that better fills my needs. Or even just gives me pleasure. But I long ago dumped the guilt.

I didn’t start playing until I retired...and had the time and financial resources to play whenever I want on whatever I want. Even after seven years I’m at best an advanced beginner. But that doesn’t stop me from buying the finest guitars I can afford. I play for at least an hour or two everyday. And having fine instruments is one of the things that keeps me motivated and enjoying the journey. So my plan is to keep trying (and occasionally buying) new guitars until dirt nap time. And then leaving this world with a smile on my face. And no guilt.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion