The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-18-2021, 03:04 AM

I might pay more for a guitar from someone semi-famous IF I were a fan, simply for the personal enjoyment, not because it would be worth more.

Otherwise professional musician = professional level of usage. I'd rather by a guitar from an amateur that treated it like an expensive ornament and played it an hour a week.
Old 04-18-2021, 03:50 AM
Charter Member

The difference in playability should be worth a few extra bucks. a pro's instrument would have had a professional set up. Likely one that could be easily played. You don't really think the players who amaze people with their uncanny ability, are doing it on an off the shelf guitar do you? They may be able to hold out on a shelf guitar for awhile. But to do it for hours on end and at days at a time requires an instrument that has been tweaked to that players preferences. But how much would that be worth? And vintage? Though I can appreciate a vintage instrument and what it may have been through. I can't see paying the prices they seem to bring.
Old 04-18-2021, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZYPIKINS View Post
The difference in playability should be worth a few extra bucks. a pro's instrument would have had a professional set up. Likely one that could be easily played. You don't really think the players who amaze people with their uncanny ability, are doing it on an off the shelf guitar do you? They may be able to hold out on a shelf guitar for awhile. But to do it for hours on end and at days at a time requires an instrument that has been tweaked to that players preferences. But how much would that be worth? And vintage? Though I can appreciate a vintage instrument and what it may have been through. I can't see paying the prices they seem to bring.
Be worth the cost of a good setup. (or a bit less -- why pay for a setup done to some else's preferences)

Last edited by RalphH; 04-18-2021 at 05:23 AM.
Old 04-18-2021, 05:14 AM
Charter Member

Trigger? Yes. Most all others, no. I think that question blurs the line between celeb value and sentimental value. Two very different values, but obviously possible overlap.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 04-18-2021, 06:20 AM

Someone will pay a premium for that Doyle Dykes guitar.
Old 04-18-2021, 07:53 AM

Couldn't care less. It's the sound and feel.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 04-18-2021, 08:11 AM

If you've actually seen this player preform very well on this particular guitar, it might be worth a little premium just having the knowledge that this guitar is not the problem if you miss a few licks.

Identifying the exact moment when a guitar gains value due only to past ownership is beyond my capabilities, so no added value for me.
Old 04-18-2021, 11:56 AM
Charter Member

Thanks everyone! Yes, I checked this guitar over well and it's in immaculate shape, plus it's set up well. The cost addition isn't horrible. I'm just debating it.
Old 04-18-2021, 12:15 PM

I sold a Rickenbacker to a faux Tom Petty for a run in Vegas. He didn't pay any more or less. But now that he's played it it may be worth more.
Old 04-18-2021, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
Since the question will be raised, the artist is Doyle Dykes, and he does come around this way occasionally, so I could probably get an autograph and picture with him and the guitar if that makes a difference. But, let's not focus on who it is or his playing, but only on whether the guitar is worth more due to that history? And they are not asking a ton more for it.
I disagree, I think you have to focus on who the artist owner was, as that is the entire reason for the uncharge. The bigger the name, the more you can charge for the guitar. But if it's not a well known person, the only buyer willing to pay a premium will be a fan of that artist.

You have to decide if it's worth it to you as a fan, but I would assume that there would be zero additional resale value in the future, so something to keep in mind if you don't plan on keeping it for the long haul.
2014 Epiphone Les Paul Junior - sold
Old 04-18-2021, 12:32 PM
Charter Member

If I did buy it, would it make any difference to get the artist to sign it and take a pic?
Old 04-18-2021, 12:35 PM

Quote:
If I did buy it, would it make any difference to get the artist to sign it and take a pic?
The pic of you, Doyle and the guitar will help with provenance which may help future resale value. I wouldn't have Doyle actually sign the guitar though.
Old 04-18-2021, 12:37 PM

Quote:

Yes it would to a hard core DD fan...anyone else, not really.

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 04-18-2021, 12:41 PM

There are some beat to **** guitars Leo Kottke owned that are selling for like $30k. Hahah, as if. Someone with more money than sense will buy one I guess.
Old 04-18-2021, 01:25 PM
Charter Member

I'd buy the guitar based on being a really good guitar, paying the celeb tax, but not because of the connection. What is the provenance? A known musician, known to have 200 guitars and selling them off for one reason or another, is something I'd not pay extra for. But if the seller thought it was worth more, I'd have to decide on the guitar based on just the guitar.

I bought a guitar on the very high side of the value scale just because I bonded with it.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion