The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-21-2021, 06:36 AM

Cool Learning to Fingerpick like Passenger?

Hey guys,

I've been playing guitar for a long time but never really got past strumming. I would love to learn how to finger pick in styles similar to the band "Passenger".

Where would I go about finding the tools to learn this? I'm open to Youtube videos, paid videos, udemy courses, whatever, as long as it works and is somewhat affordable. I've searched Youtube quite a bit and never found solid lessons, so maybe you have better ideas.

Hoping to take a little time this summer to start learning!

Thanks everyone for your time.
Old 04-21-2021, 06:45 PM

Hmmmm...
https://artistworks.com/guitar-lessons-martin-taylor
Maybe? Can't imagine it would hurt. I've been very tempted by Bryan Sutton's course for Bluegrass.
Old 04-22-2021, 04:14 AM

Hi,

This is the style of guitar I play. I think of it as 'standard fingerstyle', although the terminology itself is a minefield worth avoiding.

Passenger's stuff is not unique, it is all variants of 'Travis picking' with some strumming interspersed on some of his songs. He has a very delicate style and often capos at the 6th and even 9th fret.

You will need to learn the fundamentals of Travis picking, where the thumb plays alternating bass notes and the fingers play the higher strings with an element of melody added on top.

Paul Davids has a great video on YouTube on Travis picking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6b371mNkCw

It can be tricky to get used to, weeks/months, but kind of unlocks everything fingerstyle. Get that down and then search for a Passenger TAB...
Taylor GS-mini mahogany - 2019
Guild GAD D-1212 12-string

American Professional Tele - 2018

Last edited by Mr Picky; 04-22-2021 at 04:20 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write