The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-06-2010, 07:40 PM

Default down tune vs. lighter strings

With the recent talk about down tuning a half step, this has questioned my interest - which would you all consider to have the "bigger" sound; a heavier guage that is tuned down a half step, or the next lighter guage tuned to concert pitch? I really like the feel of my guitar with .12~.54 light guage tuned down to Eb. I like the slinkiness of the strings as I do alot of soloing and string beinding. Because I am tuned down a half step, and I play with quite a few others, I need to capo up one to match them (easier for me to match three others than it is for them to match me). So I'm wondering, to get the same string tension is very close to go to the next guage down which would be .11~52 custom lights. Now, if I use the custom lights tuned at concert pitch, would I still get a similar tone or would the fact that the down tuned guage (.12~.54 lights) being a bigger diameter string have a bigger tone? I hope this makes sense Thanks.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:34 PM

Don't sweat it, too much.

I use light strings, and when playing solo I usually tune down a 1/2 step. However, when playing with others I either tough it out and tune to standard, or use a capo.

Is the tone the same regardless of string gauge, capo use, etc? No, it is always slightly different.

No big deal, really.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:45 PM

In my experience, lighter strings tend to have a thinner sound, more so than a heavier string tuned down. It's most apparent if you're recording.
2006 Seagull S6+CW Folk
2006 Goodall AKSC
2010 Charis SJC
Old 05-07-2010, 12:03 AM

Thanks guys. Perhaps I would get even a bigger tone if I used a .13 medium guage and tuned down to D, then capo up two frets?... Or do things start getting more weird (intonation wise) when having to capo higher up the neck? Thanks again.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd6969 View Post
Thanks guys. Perhaps I would get even a bigger tone if I used a .13 medium guage and tuned down to D, then capo up two frets?... Or do things start getting more weird (intonation wise) when having to capo higher up the neck? Thanks again.
I think you would get a "fatter" tone by going heavier, tuning down, and using a capo to tune back up. Most people I know who use altered tunings also capo up, and have no problem with intonation, and it's easier to fret the strings because the action is usually lower at a capo vs. the nut. When I had a 12 string, I used to routinely tune down a full tone and capo up 2 frets to make it easier to play. Try using a 17 and a 13 on the top 2 strings, tune down, capo up, and see what happens. You can buy individual strings at Strings and Beyond.
2006 Seagull S6+CW Folk
2006 Goodall AKSC
2010 Charis SJC
Old 03-09-2024, 04:59 AM

Lighter strings are easier to play but to get a bigger sound w/ those, I shave the braces down to 3/32 of an inch
Old 03-09-2024, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s11141827 View Post
Lighter strings are easier to play but to get a bigger sound w/ those, I shave the braces down to 3/32 of an inch
I hope no one tries this.

Last edited by srick; 03-16-2024 at 04:58 AM. Reason: Unnecessary
Old 03-09-2024, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidneystreet View Post
Don't sweat it, too much.

I use light strings, and when playing solo I usually tune down a 1/2 step.
That works. I see more people tune down a full step.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidneystreet View Post
However, when playing with others I either tough it out and tune to standard, or use a capo. . . .
Heh heh. A few years ago I traveled from home in Maine to visit my sister in the mountains of North Carolina.

She took me to her well-attended weekly jam. Four or five of the guitars in play had capos on the second fret. We'd gone around in regular song-circle fashion for about twenty minutes, when it came around to one of the second fretters, he said, "Blues in D!"

And all the capos came off.
Old 03-09-2024, 07:41 AM

I've always used a standard tuning electric or acoustic occasionally bending a half step on E-B-G on either. On my acoustics I use a 12-54 set upping the E&B to a 13-17 and since I seldom bend the tension factor is basically the same, just a fuller tone with the heavier E&B gauges versus a thinner sound with lighter gauges. Problem here is using excessive bends in genres played so I have only one answer that's not the one you're looking for.
Old 03-09-2024, 11:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt20dbl View Post
I hope no one tries this.
Yep, that poster has yet to show any evidence of all these extensive modifications he claims to do. I think we have a fantasist in our midst, which is fine until someone reads the post as advice.
Also double bass, electric bass, cittern, mandolin...

Last edited by srick; 03-16-2024 at 04:59 AM. Reason: Quote was edited
Old 03-09-2024, 02:13 PM

I have found that when I drop the tuning 1/2 step, there is very little difference in tone quality or how loud the guitar sounds. This is with my Dread and GPC size guitars that are strung with light gauge strings.

When I drop the tuning to D, [1 full step down] the guitar becomes a bit unstable and harder to keep in tune.
If I switch to medium gauge strings while in D tuning, everything is good.

Guitar tops are built for a certain load/tension. When you lower the tension, the top doesn't vibrate the same and you loosed some of the potential from the guitar.
Depending on how low you drop the tuning and the gauge of strings you are using, you will get less from your guitar.

Experiment with tuning and gauge size to determine what works best for you.
Old 03-09-2024, 02:20 PM

It really depends on what you're after. If you like the feel of larger gauge strings, play them. I still do up to 5 hour shows and prefer the feel of lights. I have honestly not heard nearly as much difference between lights and mediums as I do between different brand or compositions of strings. I say, pick the string you like the sound - and feel - of and play them to death.
Old 03-15-2024, 11:38 AM
Charter Member

In addition to tone and volume, going up or down by a string gauge presents some other factors to me,

Given what I play, it's about feel and more precise handling.

Tuning down to Eb for a singer in an old band, my go-to 10-46 Slinkys (electric) suddenly felt loose and sloppy. Even tuned back up to E now, 11-49 Power Slinkys just feel better.

Bonus: They're very close to the 11-52 Custom Lights (available in many brands) that I use on 4 different acoustics.

Many here will complain that lighter strings on an acoustic (like anything less than 12 or even 13) will sound "thin" or "weak." But aggressive playing (rock/blues) with a flat pick makes that a non-issue in my world. If anything, I can be too loud if not careful.

Advice? Experiment. Strings are relatively inexpensive and can drastically alter how a guitar plays and sounds. Try different things and see/hear/feel what works best for your individual style(s).

Last edited by tinnitus; 03-16-2024 at 07:21 PM.
Old 03-15-2024, 01:48 PM
Charter Member

Going to 11's is much different than 12's tuned down, in my experience. They will feel similar but the tone is not even close. 11's will sound reedy and have wobbly pitch. 12's tuned down half a step give you the cool overtone growl of down tuning and doesn't completely ruin the low end like 11's do, IMO.
Old 03-15-2024, 09:33 PM
Charter Member

A timeless topic - even after 14 years.

Martin D-41, Larrivee L-19; Gibson L-130; Taylor 614-ce-L30; R Taylor 2
H&D Custom OM; Bauman 000
Cervantes Crossover I; Kenny Hill 628S;
Rainsong Shorty SGA; CA GX Player, Cargo;
Alvarez AP70; Stella, 12-string; 2 Ukes; Gibson Mandola; Charango, couple electrics

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion