The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-08-2019, 07:33 PM

Default considering Journey OF660 (to replace Blackbird Rider)

I’m interested in the Journey OF660. If I get it, it would replace the Blackbird Rider steel string that I currently own, as I would have to sell one to afford the other. I bought it in 2013, and since 2015, it has been my only guitar. I like the sound, and like many things about playing it, except for one : I find it a little awkward to hold. While the guitar body is small, it’s quite deep, and I find it strains my right arm a bit. I already experience a lot of pain in arms etc., so this is a factor I really notice. The neck-up support that you stick to the bottom of the guitar doesn’t really work for me, both because it pops off frequently (I assume it’s just because of the way I hold the guitar, since most people seem to find it useful) and it also forces me to sit in a position that is not the most comfortable. So now I am considering replacing it with the OF660.

From what I have read and heard about the OF660, it seems it would likely be more comfortable for me to hold. From the videos I’ve watched, I think the sound is good. (Of course I would prefer to try the guitar myself, but thus far I have not been able to find the OF660 locally,) And the fact that it folds for airplane carry-on is a huge draw. I have found the Canadian airlines to be extremely strict about luggage size, and have had them reject a bag that was just over a centimetre (half an inch) larger than allowed. They will not allow me to carry on the Blackbird guitar, so I’ve had to pack it in a box as my checked bag.

Is there anyone here who has played both the Journey OF660 and the Blackbird Rider steel string? If you have and could offer any commentary on how the two compare, I’d be very grateful. Or if you’ve only played the OF660, I’d appreciate anything you can tell me about it.

Tricia
Old 07-08-2019, 10:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia View Post
I’m interested in the Journey OF660. If I get it, it would replace the Blackbird Rider steel string that I currently own, as I would have to sell one to afford the other. I bought it in 2013, and since 2015, it has been my only guitar. I like the sound, and like many things about playing it, except for one : I find it a little awkward to hold. While the guitar body is small, it’s quite deep, and I find it strains my right arm a bit. I already experience a lot of pain in arms etc., so this is a factor I really notice. The neck-up support that you stick to the bottom of the guitar doesn’t really work for me, both because it pops off frequently (I assume it’s just because of the way I hold the guitar, since most people seem to find it useful) and it also forces me to sit in a position that is not the most comfortable. So now I am considering replacing it with the OF660.

From what I have read and heard about the OF660, it seems it would likely be more comfortable for me to hold. From the videos I’ve watched, I think the sound is good. (Of course I would prefer to try the guitar myself, but thus far I have not been able to find the OF660 locally,) And the fact that it folds for airplane carry-on is a huge draw. I have found the Canadian airlines to be extremely strict about luggage size, and have had them reject a bag that was just over a centimetre (half an inch) larger than allowed. They will not allow me to carry on the Blackbird guitar, so I’ve had to pack it in a box as my checked bag.

Is there anyone here who has played both the Journey OF660 and the Blackbird Rider steel string? If you have and could offer any commentary on how the two compare, I’d be very grateful. Or if you’ve only played the OF660, I’d appreciate anything you can tell me about it.

Tricia
Hi Tricia....

I've played a Blackbird Rider at a shop for only a few minutes, but I was impressed. I also have a Blackbird El Capitan which is awesome.

I've had a OF660 for a few years and really enjoy it. However, I truly consider it my travel guitar. I think it plays well, sounds great, and with the removable neck...is really tough to beat for traveling. And. It seems to be built like a tank. In my mind, there are two things lacking. One is volume, it's a small guitar and is simply a quiet one. The second is balance....its a pretty neck heavy guitar.

IMHO, one would be hard pressed to find a better travel guitar.

I would be more than happy to let you try mine if you find yourself in the Chicago area.

Cheers....

Todd in Chicago

P.S. My OF660 just came back with me from a 7 day vacation in Telluride CO....played it every day. [emoji846]
Old 07-08-2019, 10:56 PM
Charter Member

Re-reading your post, the OF660 is very comfortable except it is neck heavy. It is a smaller guitar built with a Manzer wedge profile. I find it to be very manageable.

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago
Old 07-08-2019, 11:21 PM

There are lots of reviews on the OF660 here and I bought a used one last August. (I'm posting the link to that review at the bottom of this response).

I still have it and like it. I can't say love it but it really is a cool little guitar. I've already taken it on a cruise to the Bahamas which consisted of 3 flights and an excursion bus ride in the Florida Everglades. I spent 3 days on the cruise playing while watching the ocean pass by. How cool is that? It handled all the heat and humidity like a champ and the back pack made for these is so NICE. The only heads it turned in security was when a TSA agent motioned one of his coworkers to look at the guitar in the X-Ray (probably noting how cool of a concept it is).

My 2 complaints about it are legit but negligible. For ME.

-It is a bit heavy (Journey's website says it's only 4 lbs. but it is actually closer to 6). I have a suede strap to match the color of my guitar and it helps keep the guitar snug on my shoulder.

- It is on the quiet side acoustically. I can't understate this and others who have played it say that it sounds "great" and "present", but "compressed". I agree and wish it had more volume. I even addressed the issue directly to James Brawner (marketing) with Journey asking if they would address this in any future versions by maybe adding a sound port or something. I won't put verbatim what James' response was but basically he indicated to be looking out for some sweet new mods. Stay tuned.

I would say that the OF660 could be somebody's only guitar because it really does a lot of things well. But what fun would that be? It doesn't do everything well though and I'm not sure there really is one. That's why people buy two. Or three.

Or twenty.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...76#post5846576

Last edited by Kerbie; 07-09-2019 at 05:03 AM. Reason: Corrected link
Old 07-09-2019, 04:39 AM

Thank you so much to Todd in Chicago and Steelvibe, for your excellent comments and reviews - and also Todd for your very kind offer to let me try the guitar!

Hearing about the weight and the neck heaviness really changes my interest in this guitar. Using a strap is not generally viable for me due to neck and shoulder pain. It's also reminding me of one of the most wonderful things about my Blackbird Rider, which is how light it is - and this is the feature that has allowed me to not only carry my guitar with me, but to keep playing at all.

I wish I could combine the best features of each guitar to make my ideal! But I'm starting to understand that having a join for a removable neck would add to the weight. As I said, I really do like nearly everything about my current guitar, and don't want to compromise on its excellent features and lovely sound.
Old 07-09-2019, 04:54 AM

I too have an OF660 and use it for travel. Never any issue with airlines (Air Canada, Westjet, Sunwing). While it is heavier due to the neck joint, I use a D'Oro (like a Neck Up) to get it at the right angle for me. No issue whatsoever and given the support I don't even notice the weight.

I see you are in Canada, so if you happen to be in the vicinity of Calgary you are welcome to try mine.
Old 07-09-2019, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2guitar_eh View Post
I too have an OF660 and use it for travel. Never any issue with airlines (Air Canada, Westjet, Sunwing). While it is heavier due to the neck joint, I use a D'Oro (like a Neck Up) to get it at the right angle for me. No issue whatsoever and given the support I don't even notice the weight.

I see you are in Canada, so if you happen to be in the vicinity of Calgary you are welcome to try mine.
Thanks for your comments and the lovely offer! I am in Kitchener, Ontario, so unfortunately not in your area. I did see that Twelfth Fret in Toronto sometimes has the OF660, although perhaps only on consignment, but I've contacted them in the hopes that I can go in and try one.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:59 AM

I haven’t played a Blackbird so I can’t comment there but I’ve had my OF660 for over 4 years and I’ve really come to love it for many reasons. I originally got it mostly for travel and it has been on many trips all over. It feels as solid today as it was when new. However, I now play this guitar everyday since it is so comfortable and can stay out even though it is so dry here in Colorado. It sits beside my desk all day and moves to the couch all evening. It is a little quiet but I only play for myself and the location of the sound hole up high is great for the player. It plays great through my Fishman amp when I want more volume. I don’t notice any weight issues though I also play with a strap. It did take me a while to get comfortable with the neck (the D shape is thicker on the shoulders than my other guitars) but now I don’t notice it.

My reduced collection (in order of acquisition):
Taylor 512ce 12-fret
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson Les Paul Tribute
Old 07-11-2019, 09:25 AM

Can't specifically speak to the OF660, but a couple of years ago I was looking for a travel guitar I could confidently carry on and got an OF420 (similar design, but in wood). The only problem I've had with it is that the spacing between the strings is somewhat inconsistent (with a larger gap between the D and G strings), but this is very minor. Otherwise, I have found that it lives up to its billing - on numerous flights I've never had to check it, it plays fine, and sounds good.
Old 07-11-2019, 09:58 AM
Charter Member

If wood is an option then I would recommend their new First Class guitars. I immediately sold my OF660 after I tried the FP412, it just sounds much better and louder in my opinion. I wish I could find a collapsible carbon sounding as good as the wood model though, just for the peace of mind
Old 07-11-2019, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sscully View Post
I haven’t played a Blackbird so I can’t comment there but I’ve had my OF660 for over 4 years and I’ve really come to love it for many reasons. I originally got it mostly for travel and it has been on many trips all over. It feels as solid today as it was when new. However, I now play this guitar everyday since it is so comfortable and can stay out even though it is so dry here in Colorado. It sits beside my desk all day and moves to the couch all evening. It is a little quiet but I only play for myself and the location of the sound hole up high is great for the player. It plays great through my Fishman amp when I want more volume. I don’t notice any weight issues though I also play with a strap. It did take me a while to get comfortable with the neck (the D shape is thicker on the shoulders than my other guitars) but now I don’t notice it.
Thank you for the description! It's great that you love that guitar so much. I have realized that the weight of the guitar is a very big factor for me, and using a strap isn't an option for me, so am going to stick with my Blackbird Rider, and see if I can adjust my position somewhat to make it more comfortable to hold. But I'll still welcome a chance to try the OF660 some day too!
Old 07-11-2019, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsman View Post
Can't specifically speak to the OF660, but a couple of years ago I was looking for a travel guitar I could confidently carry on and got an OF420 (similar design, but in wood). The only problem I've had with it is that the spacing between the strings is somewhat inconsistent (with a larger gap between the D and G strings), but this is very minor. Otherwise, I have found that it lives up to its billing - on numerous flights I've never had to check it, it plays fine, and sounds good.
Thanks for that recommendation. In fact, it looks like a store that is local to me has the OF420, and I will go try it, though I'm pretty interested in sticking with carbon fibre.
Old 07-11-2019, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tøf View Post
If wood is an option then I would recommend their new First Class guitars. I immediately sold my OF660 after I tried the FP412, it just sounds much better and louder in my opinion. I wish I could find a collapsible carbon sounding as good as the wood model though, just for the peace of mind
Oh, I'm not sure I noticed that particular one when I was looking at the Journey site. Will check it out. Thank! I'm pretty set on sticking with carbon fibre. It wasn't the reason I got my guitar, but it has been a wonderful bonus that it doesn't constantly fall out of tune especially in humid weather or with big temperature changes.
Old 07-12-2019, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
There are lots of reviews on the OF660 here and I bought a used one last August. (I'm posting the link to that review at the bottom of this response).

I still have it and like it. I can't say love it but it really is a cool little guitar. I've already taken it on a cruise to the Bahamas which consisted of 3 flights and an excursion bus ride in the Florida Everglades. I spent 3 days on the cruise playing while watching the ocean pass by. How cool is that? It handled all the heat and humidity like a champ and the back pack made for these is so NICE. The only heads it turned in security was when a TSA agent motioned one of his coworkers to look at the guitar in the X-Ray (probably noting how cool of a concept it is).

My 2 complaints about it are legit but negligible. For ME.

-It is a bit heavy (Journey's website says it's only 4 lbs. but it is actually closer to 6). I have a suede strap to match the color of my guitar and it helps keep the guitar snug on my shoulder.

- It is on the quiet side acoustically. I can't understate this and others who have played it say that it sounds "great" and "present", but "compressed". I agree and wish it had more volume. I even addressed the issue directly to James Brawner (marketing) with Journey asking if they would address this in any future versions by maybe adding a sound port or something. I won't put verbatim what James' response was but basically he indicated to be looking out for some sweet new mods. Stay tuned.

I would say that the OF660 could be somebody's only guitar because it really does a lot of things well. But what fun would that be? It doesn't do everything well though and I'm not sure there really is one. That's why people buy two. Or three.

Or twenty.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...76#post5846576
Steelvibe,

I am with you on volume and emailed James after reading your post. He had no clue for any new changes. Can you expand on the details? I am in for bigger lower bout within the bag spec ( I think there is room for it. ) and maybe Emerald-like cutaway and ergo. And less resin to make it lighter ( again kinda like the inside of Emerald?

G
Old 07-12-2019, 01:11 PM
Charter Member

Haha I was thinking the same thing... the FP412 I mentioned has a wider and deeper body than the OF660 but still fits in a backpack the same size (unlike the bigger FF412C)... it could be a good starting point for a new carbon model!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber