The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 06-24-2018, 11:12 AM

Default Compare, Journey OF660 vs KLOS?

Has anyone had a chance to compare these two guitars hands-on?

The YT videos I've found for KLOS are "indefinite". The KLOS is about 50% of the cost of the OF660, smaller, lighter... but the KLOS is more difficult to setup/breakdown, and I doubt the tone is equal to the OF660. The OF660 appears to be of better overall quality, but who can really tell from videos?

It sure would be useful to hear a comparison video under the same recording settings. Also, it would be very nice to how they compare in regard to feel.

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!
Old 06-20-2019, 03:44 AM

Hi, I'm interested in this exact topic, too. Has anybody had any experience meanwhile? And/or can point to a comparison video?

Thank you, best
dario
Old 06-20-2019, 03:53 PM
Charter Member

This is hilarious because I, too, am interested in exactly the same topic, btw with an eye to airline travel.

I also wonder if anyone has experience with the electronic pickup in the Journey. I read somewhere it's very sensitive to transmitting incidental noises like rubbing against a guitar strap, clothes etc. Most of its purpose is so I can fly someplace and plug into a sound system.
Old 06-20-2019, 04:12 PM

There appears to be some pent-up curiosity and perhaps demand. My only contribution to this thread is that I have played an OF660 once, at Kramster's house in FEB 2018 during the Phoenix Carbon Fest. It was a decent little guitar and would work nicely for travel with its take-down neck, but is no tonal or volume match for my X20 (nor is it intended to be).

I have never seen a Klos guitar in the flesh, but there are two Klos ukulele that come to my weekly uke club. Those are nice sounding, well built, and play quite well. I get the appeal of a lower price. However, only the top is CF with the rest of the instrument being wood. Therefore Klos instruments won't be quite as robust as an all-CF instrument in harsh environments. Hope this helps in some small way......
Old 06-20-2019, 05:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
However, only the top is CF with the rest of the instrument being wood. Therefore Klos instruments won't be quite as robust as an all-CF instrument in harsh environments. Hope this helps in some small way......

Very helpful (and cool) input. However perhaps that's how they started or it's an option? I pulled up a guitar on their site and it says "The KLOS acoustic guitar features a carbon fiber body and a wooden neck "
Old 06-21-2019, 06:41 AM

Correct. Only the neck of the Klos Is wood. The body (back, top, and sides) is carbon fiber. ...and the uke sounds great. I haven't played the guitars.
Old 07-03-2019, 08:24 PM

I absolutely adore my Journey OF660. It works every time. wherever, whenever.

1920's Mayflower OM
1929 National Tricone Style 2 Round neck
1996 Gibson Hummingbird
1939 Martin 018
1930's Martin Style O soprano uke
2007 Kamaka Tenor Uke
1970 Martin OO21
1923 Gibson tenor Banjo
Old 07-04-2019, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotis View Post
I absolutely adore my Journey OF660. It works every time. wherever, whenever.
I’ll second this.
Old 07-04-2019, 09:07 AM
Charter Member

I'm currently in Telluride Colorado and agree, that as a travel guitar, the OF660 is built like a tank. I play it every day while on vacation.

It's a keeper for me, as a travel guitar. It does not compare to my El Capitan which is my regular guitar at home and nor would I expect it to.

Cheers....

Todd in Chicago (temporarily in Telluride CO)
Old 07-04-2019, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcopeland8900 View Post
Correct. Only the neck of the Klos Is wood. The body (back, top, and sides) is carbon fiber. ...and the uke sounds great.
This is correct - I misremembered. The gals brought their Klos ukulele to the last jam on Monday and I got another close look. The body is indeed all CF, and they do sound very good. I might be all over one if I didn't already have a Blackbird Farallon in ekoa that covers my uke needs completely.

Farallon and I will be part of the band for the annual Hawaiian July 4th luau this afternoon. Music, hula dancers and way too much food. I was at the pig roast last night where we jammed (kanikapila) for a couple of hours as they put the pig under the hot lava rock to cook overnight.
Old 07-04-2019, 08:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
This is correct - I misremembered. The gals brought their Klos ukulele to the last jam on Monday and I got another close look. The body is indeed all CF, and they do sound very good. I might be all over one if I didn't already have a Blackbird Farallon in ekoa that covers my uke needs completely.

Farallon and I will be part of the band for the annual Hawaiian July 4th luau this afternoon. Music, hula dancers and way too much food. I was at the pig roast last night where we jammed (kanikapila) for a couple of hours as they put the pig under the hot lava rock to cook overnight.
That sounds like a blast!!

Todd in Chicago

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber