The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-07-2009, 09:16 AM

Default Rhythm Guitar Question

Hey everyone, Newbie here. I have one question about rhythm guitar:

How do you choose what or which rhythm to play? I'm starting to work on what will be my first songs but I want to do something different fro accompaing my singin. Need some adivces, how did you get better playing your rhythms?
Old 07-07-2009, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerLan7 View Post
Hey everyone, Newbie here. I have one question about rhythm guitar:

How do you choose what or which rhythm to play? I'm starting to work on what will be my first songs but I want to do something different fro accompaing my singin. Need some adivces, how did you get better playing your rhythms?
Hi! Welcome to the Forum! I am sure others will chime in, but a few basic thoughts to start...

First the obvious: identify the time signature of the song (4/4, 3/4, 6/8...)

It is often helpful to listen to the recording and get a sense of the foundational rhythmic pattern (or the riff) underneath the instruments. That is often a good place to begin.

That said, nothing says you have to play exactly the same riff as the original recording especially since you mentioned you want to do something "different". As long as you are playing the right time signature, you can almost do no wrong...experiment to see what works for you.

You mentioned you'll be singing and playing at the same time. It may be helpful to start with a simple pattern on the guitar at first...sometimes it's hard to do two things well at once. I find that for me, I won't perform a song until I have the guitar part down to the point where I don't have to think about or even look much at the guitar. That way I can focus more on my voice and what I am 'saying'.

As I said, these are just some thoughts to get you started. I am sure others will chime in with much more helpful words...

welcome again!
2006 T5-S Tobacco burst (40th birthday present from my wife! :-)
2008 516CE (KEEPER!)
2002 NS-7
Ibanez Concord 670 (my first guitar!)
Tanglewood TSF-CE (Red)
Old 07-07-2009, 11:51 AM

I learned my strumming patterns by playing along to the records (remember them?) of Beatles, pop and folk songs. The more you do it the more your style will evolve and the better you'll get at it. Start simple, then add some florishes. You can probably teach strumming, but I think you just have to play it over and over again, till your style develops.

A lot of YouTube videos to help out on this, or just play along with the CD of a song you are learning.

Hardest strumming pattern to get down for me was the beginning of the Eagles' Tequila Sunrise. You really need to keep that wrist loose to get the quick pattern.

The secret to life is enjoying the passage of time.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:12 PM

As has been said - rhythm and strumming patterns are a feel thing. I personally do not worry about duplicating the exact strum pattern the original artist used - it is nice to get close to the rhythm the song uses and that can usually be done by singing the tune (even if it's just under your breath) and using one of YOUR favorite strum patterns.

Most of the people I play rhythm guitar with have their favorite three or four strum patterns and they mix and match them to the specific song they are playing.

Used to hate it when the old guys told me to feel it, but, that is the best advise I can leave you with.

Good luck.

P.S. My instructor gave me this years ago. Want to work on a strum pattern? Go watch TV. Take your guitar along - grab the neck at the 5th fret +/- and start strumming your pattern - you will get a dead thud sound - no problem. Keep strumming and by the end of the hour long show that pattern will be in muscle memory and belong to you.

Last edited by Malcolm; 07-08-2009 at 06:21 PM.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:19 AM

Thank's everyone!! I do know several strumming patterns, but I'm trying to get to my own patterns a Dave Matthews vibe, so the question would be, how do I get there??
Old 07-10-2009, 09:16 AM

If you don't like the idea of taking Dave Matthews' stuff to the TV and strumming that pattern till it is in muscle memory then it's listening and practicing what ever way you like. Be aware if you practice bad stuff you get really good at doing bad stuff. Practice good stuff - is the answer. There are no short cuts that I've found.
Old 07-10-2009, 12:14 PM

A very intresssing question. As soon as i try to see what i do it goes wrong. It's a very much feeling thing. Tape it an listen if it sounds right for the song. If not try some thing else.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:43 PM

Malcolm- Good advice on taking your guitar with you while watching TV. I was really big into playing Dave's stuff back in college, and about the only way I could learn to play and sing songs like Tripping Billies and So Much To Say, was to play them over, and over again (often while I was vegging out watching my favorite show).

DerLan7- Dave definitely has his own unique way of playing/strumming, and as a rythem guitarist I found it very helpful to develop my style by playing along with a lead guitarist and holding the beat. A good place to start (if you're a Dave fan) would be the jam to lie in our graves... this guy who I used to play with and I used to loose hours just moving up and down that jam, and I found that just out of sheer bordem of holding the same chords I found myself creating new strumming patterns and even harmonizing chords while I was holding things together.

Hope that's helpful!
Old 07-15-2009, 08:42 PM

Can anyone here provide me with a few strumming patters and explain how to do them. I am learning fingerstyle teaching myself and I would like to know a few different strum patters also. At present all I can strum is - bass note on first beat, down up strum on beat two, alt bass on beat three and down up strum on beat four. Thank you, John
Old 07-15-2009, 10:15 PM

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...mming+patterns.

I have found Google or what ever search engine you prefer to be a real friend.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:14 AM

John,

Here's one that shows ten different strum patterns and links to audio so that you can hear what the dn/ups sound like:

http://www.scenicnewengland.net/guit.../strumming.htm
Pono OO-20
Pono OP-30DC
Old 07-16-2009, 09:30 AM

Hi Ryler,

That is a good link. Thank you, john
Old 07-21-2009, 10:36 AM

Hi,

I hope its ok for me to post this. We have a bunch of free lessons on various rhythm strumming patterns on our site. You might find some of them useful.

http://www.rhythmstrummer.com/free-stuff.php

I agree with what others said, its about getting it into muscle memory through endless repetitions. Only then will you be able to maintain the correct pattern while doing something else, like singing.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write