The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-01-2024, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathand View Post
Have you considered removing the bridge and buying a new one with a 1/8" slot?

You could make a new bridge using old one for a pattern and rout the slot while it is still flat. I do this in a milling machine if you happen to have one.

Easiest solution is to choose a different pickup. Have you contacted Barbera to see if they have or can make a 3/32" saddle pickup? The website says they will make one specifically for your instrument.
Yes I asked Barbera if they had a 3/32" version, no go. And I considered removing the bridge, etc, etc. That seems like a lot of work. Worthy of consideration though.
'13 Jaffrey #26 - Malaysian Blackwood!
'21 Gretsch 5622
'22 Furch Red Pure G-LR - Barbera Soloist
ST-300 Mini + DIY mic preamp
Old 01-01-2024, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
Simpler still - get the UltraTonic upgrade kit for the K&K, and install that. You could almost pay for it with what the luthier would charge just to widen the slot, not to mention the cost/install of the Barbera. I had a guitar with a Barbera, and it was a truly incredible pickup, but the UT may be about as good, and possibly better -
This guitar DOES have the UltraTonic upgrade... and it DID help. But it still doesn't have the articulation and high end that the Barbera has. So I may remove the Ultratonic and sell it... that may pay for the $100 slot cutting fee
'13 Jaffrey #26 - Malaysian Blackwood!
'21 Gretsch 5622
'22 Furch Red Pure G-LR - Barbera Soloist
ST-300 Mini + DIY mic preamp

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair