The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-09-2011, 12:37 PM
Charter Member

Question Rainsong hybrids: OM and Dreads-tell me about them

looking at either the OM or the Dread size, no electronics.
These are the satin hybrids: HS-DR1100N2 and the S-OM1100N2

wanting something to keep out on a stand and not worry about if it gets dinged, knocked around, humidity issues. I like the gigbag idea.

I like the 1 3/4" nut width, and the simple rosette. Price looks good.
How do they sound overall?

Nice action?

Fun?

with the dread size, there is a gloss version and satin version-price is good on both-any reviews of those two(gloss vs satin).

thanks
d
Old 07-09-2011, 01:28 PM

I'm also eager to see some user reviews of the Rainsongs, as an indestructable acoustic has a ton of appeal for me. But I have to say, why does Rainsong use the Grover Rotos as the stock tuners? They dont fit with the modern looks of the guitars at all. A minor quibble, but details matter to me.
Old 07-09-2011, 01:48 PM
*mahoganut*

Hi d and c,

I posted a thread with a silly title, but which really is about changing the saddle in my fairly new SOM1100N2 from Tusq to bone. I did include a few sound clip links. Most didn't find that much difference - my point to you two is that the sound clips might give you a feel for the overall sound.
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=220695

I ended up buying the OM after having, in order, a Martin backpacker (nice boat oar), Baby Taylor M (good tone, good projection, small fretboard), entry level all mahogany Alvarez OM (good - but still all wood, and the last trail ride I played it was misting so I had to stay under cover), and finally to the Rainsong OM. I played some CA guitars, but wasn't impressed with the fretwork (one fret was too high, causing a buzz, and I thought it was just careless oversight) but I haven't tried any other graphite or composites. (Other than Ovation years ago.)

I chose the OM because I wanted the smallest without going to a parlour (which they don't make); I wanted no electronics so I wouldn't worry about rain / mist AT ALL!. I chose the rough (satin-like, but it's really rougher than satin) because it was cheapest, and despite being humidity proof and almost temperature proof, a horse stepping on a more expensive one would hurt more $$!!

I did find that my strumming with a pick occasionally was animated and inaccurate enough to slide a bit on the top - which didn't mark the top at all BUT made a huge "SCRITCH" sound! I'm sure some who are able to control percussive taps would play well with that, but I'm not. So I ordered a (black, of course) pickguard from StewMac, trimmed it a bit (it was to large on the lower part), and stuck it on. Looks good and no more SCRITCH!

I really do like the way it sounds. It's different than a wood guitar - but not at all "plastic-ey" which is what you might think. It sounds more tight than a wood guitar, I'd say. Highs, mids, lows are all there, but not in the warm cross-over way that my all wood guitars are.

I think you'd be well pleased. I wanted to get the N1 neck (older, non adjustable) but it's not available in the SOM1100. It's reportedly a bit thinner - but I can tell you I'm very happy with the N2 (w/ truss rod) - nice feel, easy to play, up the neck no problem.

Let me know if there's anything else you'd like to know. Oh - and it's LOUD! The OM played out was quite audible across the meadow! So I'm quite pleased. Here's a pic - before the pickguard - of me in May. edit: and added a picture I just took of it with the pickguard.

Best,

Phil

Last edited by riorider; 07-09-2011 at 01:56 PM. Reason: added shot of pickguard
Old 07-09-2011, 02:06 PM

Phil, thanks for posting, great review. And that first pic really sums up why I want a Rainsong. Pickin' a good guitar in a pretty spot outside, what could be better?
Old 07-09-2011, 02:41 PM

I recently tried out a Rainsong S-OM 1000 N2 on a road trip. I was really impressed with the guitar. The action was low and the neck was easy to play. I have small hands so this was a concern of mine with the N2 neck. I liked the textured finish. It is hard to describe and some people don't like it, but it helped the guitar stay in place and I prefer the matte to a gloss finish.

The sound of the guitar was really nice. It had excellent sustain and a bright sound, but not artificial. Like riorider, I thought the volume and projection were impressive. To me, this guitar had a modern contemporary sound to go with its modern finish and construction. The gigbag was excellent-really sturdy, spacious and attractive. I think you would enjoy the guitar and I am still considering ordering one myself. My other guitars are a Brunner with three interchangeable necks, and a Voyage Air VAOM-04 so I definitely like newer designs and technology in guitars.
Old 07-09-2011, 02:50 PM

Hey guys,

I've owned my S-OM1100N2 for several months now and I absolutely love it. In my experience, I even think the Studio/satin models have a warmer sound than the hybrids (despite similar glass/cf hybrid construction).

I've become quite attached to this guitar, and it is my everyday guitar. I love that it just sits in its stand laughing at humidity and temperature changes. It is an impressively comfortable guitar to play, what with its super light weight and wonderful N2 neck. Fun is actually a great word for it, and I think this is why I always gravitate to it.

Sound-wise I am very happy. Although it does have a unique tonal signature compared to wood, it is so responsive and balanced I find it remarkable. And I find myself disappointed now in many a wood guitar I pick up at guitar center or elsewhere. It sounds best with the stock 80/20 Elixirs Nanos. It absolutely excels at strumming, and makes a great folk guitar. Also holds up pretty well to a capo up the neck, although it takes on a sweeter sound (like many guitars do when capoed).

A word on the N2 neck. Yes, it's a little bigger than many necks but very well designed. I have long thin hands and now that I've discovered the N2 neck I find Taylors difficult to play and Martins somewhat difficult.

I hope this helps. Ted (LA Guitar Sales) has great prices on these. And his custom OM is definitely worth a look.

JD
Rainsong S-OM1100N2
Old 07-09-2011, 03:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by riorider View Post
Hi d and c,

I posted a thread with a silly title, but which really is about changing the saddle in my fairly new SOM1100N2 from Tusq to bone. I did include a few sound clip links. Most didn't find that much difference - my point to you two is that the sound clips might give you a feel for the overall sound.
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=220695

I ended up buying the OM after having, in order, a Martin backpacker (nice boat oar), Baby Taylor M (good tone, good projection, small fretboard), entry level all mahogany Alvarez OM (good - but still all wood, and the last trail ride I played it was misting so I had to stay under cover), and finally to the Rainsong OM. I played some CA guitars, but wasn't impressed with the fretwork (one fret was too high, causing a buzz, and I thought it was just careless oversight) but I haven't tried any other graphite or composites. (Other than Ovation years ago.)

I chose the OM because I wanted the smallest without going to a parlour (which they don't make); I wanted no electronics so I wouldn't worry about rain / mist AT ALL!. I chose the rough (satin-like, but it's really rougher than satin) because it was cheapest, and despite being humidity proof and almost temperature proof, a horse stepping on a more expensive one would hurt more $$!!

I did find that my strumming with a pick occasionally was animated and inaccurate enough to slide a bit on the top - which didn't mark the top at all BUT made a huge "SCRITCH" sound! I'm sure some who are able to control percussive taps would play well with that, but I'm not. So I ordered a (black, of course) pickguard from StewMac, trimmed it a bit (it was to large on the lower part), and stuck it on. Looks good and no more SCRITCH!

I really do like the way it sounds. It's different than a wood guitar - but not at all "plastic-ey" which is what you might think. It sounds more tight than a wood guitar, I'd say. Highs, mids, lows are all there, but not in the warm cross-over way that my all wood guitars are.

I think you'd be well pleased. I wanted to get the N1 neck (older, non adjustable) but it's not available in the SOM1100. It's reportedly a bit thinner - but I can tell you I'm very happy with the N2 (w/ truss rod) - nice feel, easy to play, up the neck no problem.

Let me know if there's anything else you'd like to know. Oh - and it's LOUD! The OM played out was quite audible across the meadow! So I'm quite pleased. Here's a pic - before the pickguard - of me in May. edit: and added a picture I just took of it with the pickguard.

Best,

Phil

The pickguard looks good. Did you have any trouble getting it to stick to the sandpapery surface?
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 07-09-2011, 03:42 PM

I have the dread with the fishman electronics. I absolutely love it. I use it as a gigging guitar and have no worries about dinging it up or with heat or humidity. It is light as a feather and rings like a bell.

1998 Very Sweet Wife
2000 Cute Daughter (Grand Concert)
2005 Handsome Son (Dreadnought)
2007 Lovely Daughter (Parlor)
2017 Cute Puppy (Duke the Uke)
Old 07-09-2011, 04:02 PM

My experince has been quite favorable with all then Raonsng models I have tried. These new studio guitars are a lot bang for the buck and will last you a lifetime. If you like a clean tone with plenty of note seperation than look no further. BTW, when it comes to carbon guitars the one stop shop is LA Guitar Sales. Call Ted and he'll tell you everything you ever wanted to know about non wood guitars. I used to think there were only about four or five different Rainsong models but then Ted showed me a list of about fifty different guitars that combine different models and options.
Old 07-09-2011, 04:03 PM
*mahoganut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrporter View Post
The pickguard looks good. Did you have any trouble getting it to stick to the sandpapery surface?
I was surprised, but no, I didn't have any issues with it sticking. If it comes off or lifts due to heat (it's not as immune as the guitar to heat!) I'll just replace it. But it feels secure.

Phil
Old 07-09-2011, 04:20 PM

I have played the HWS1000N2 and really like them. Have not played any of the satins though

here are a couple of clips of the dloss dreads
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7quc...feature=fvwrel
realize at the beginning paul is playing towards the bridge thus makes the guitar sound thinner and brighter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MddKT...eature=related
acoustic guitar mag - Scott Nygaard

Notice they do sound different. I can Tell that Scott uses a real thick pick-- that is why it sounds darker and muddier than when Paul plays it-- Paul is an electric player and they usually use a lighter pick and it sounds lick a thinner pick.
the HWS1000N2 played great. No harder than my Taylor.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:30 PM

I own a Rainsong DR1000, which isnt a hybrid, but I have played the hybrids to some extent and I can offer a comparison.

I didn't personally like the hybrids. Compared to the full carbon model, I thought it lacked clarity. That is just personal preference though. But when I pick up a Rainsong, I have this sound idea in my head and the hybrid didn't live up. I prefer my Rainsongs to have a bright, clear sound. The hybrids were not as bright. Plus, they were much heavier and they didn't feel as comfortable to me.

With all of that said, they are still good guitars. For me it was kind of like picking up a strat and getting a Les Paul sound. Not that the LP sound is bad, it just wasn't what I was expecting.

I am curious about how the hybrids stand up to the elements. I live in FL and that is what I love about the Rainsong. But, I do think I will soon be parting with it.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojobean39 View Post
I own a Rainsong DR1000, which isnt a hybrid, but I have played the hybrids to some extent and I can offer a comparison.

I didn't personally like the hybrids. Compared to the full carbon model, I thought it lacked clarity. That is just personal preference though. But when I pick up a Rainsong, I have this sound idea in my head and the hybrid didn't live up. I prefer my Rainsongs to have a bright, clear sound. The hybrids were not as bright. Plus, they were much heavier and they didn't feel as comfortable to me.

With all of that said, they are still good guitars. For me it was kind of like picking up a strat and getting a Les Paul sound. Not that the LP sound is bad, it just wasn't what I was expecting.

I am curious about how the hybrids stand up to the elements. I live in FL and that is what I love about the Rainsong. But, I do think I will soon be parting with it.
I agree that the hybrids are not as bright and clarity but to me may sound a bit more wood like character so in that end thay are pretty good. A warmer tone. I am not a huge fan of glass like tone-- I like them a bit warmer.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:49 PM

If that is the sound you are looking for, then the hybrid might be right up your alley. As I said, my dislike from them probably came a bit more from my expectations of what a Rainsong should be, rather than the actual sound. For me, I go to my Rainsong when I want extreme balance and clarity. If you want a blend between the glassy tone and a wooden tone, then the hybrids might do that. Either way, you cannot go wrong with Rainsong products as far as I am concerned. They are tanks no doubt.
Old 07-10-2011, 03:43 AM
Charter Member

I'm thinking that we're getting Rainsong models a bit confused. The Studio series starts with the letter "S" and is the least expensive with the sandpapery surface. The Hybrid series starts with the letter "H" and is the next series up in price.
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber