The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-16-2018, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
A few years ago I was part of the crowd that snubbed my nose at budget mixers, but now I think the inexpensive Behringer mixers sound wonderful. My least expensive one is a 1002B which cost me around $80 used. No sweep-able mids or DSP, but otherwise sounds great. I'm still pretty picky on mics, pickups, speakers and passive DI boxes, but the inexpensive Behringer mixers sound fine.
I own and use larger Samson and Carvin concert mixers, along with other brands. My behringer Xenix 1002B Battery/AC powered mixer has been my go to for running my band with it's compact footprint and large channel capacity.

Old 12-17-2018, 05:16 PM

I replaced my old Yamaha with digital Behringer XR16 and I could not be happier. You can hide it anywhere, because you don't need to access the controls, it is tiny, sounds great and clean, tons of EQ options and what not, has all the rigt ins and outs...SO much easier than the good 'ol analog...
Old 12-17-2018, 07:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymuso View Post
We've been using Behringer mixers for years and are happy with the sound. It's not going to cost a lot to roll the dice for a 2 XLR channel w/ phantom power to find out if it'll work for you.

I would add that I bought a small Mackie board as a back up to the Behringer and it is definitely unsatisfactory. I'm done with Mackie.
What model Mackie did you try? I love my 1402 and 1604 mixers.
Old 12-18-2018, 01:02 PM

Quote:
A few years ago I was part of the crowd that snubbed my nose at budget mixers, but now I think the inexpensive Behringer mixers sound wonderful. My least expensive one is a 1002B which cost me around $80 used. No sweepable mids or DSP, but otherwise sounds great. I'm still pretty picky on mics, pickups, speakers and passive DI boxes, but the inexpensive Behringer mixers sound fine.
Let me clarify this a little. There are some high end mixers with high quality preamps and analog EQs and compressors that sound simply wonderful. When you overdrive the preamps you'll get this wonderful gentle overdrive that will give you goosebumps. When you boost the bass it will saturate those frequencies in a way that adds warmth and gives you a larger than life sound like an 80s record. An inexpensive mixer won't give you anything like that.

On the other hand, as long as you give it plenty of headroom, a decent budget mixer will give you nice clean audio that sounds fine. With plenty of headroom, cheap and ultra expensive mixers sound remarkably similar. The difference comes when you start running them hot. The cheap mixer will crap out and the expensive mixer will make you shiver with it's beauty! This difference doesn't happen though until you start getting into stuff that is orders of magnitude more expensive though, and way out of most of our reach!
Old 12-18-2018, 01:32 PM

Quote:
A few years ago I was part of the crowd that snubbed my nose at budget mixers, but now I think the inexpensive Behringer mixers sound wonderful. My least expensive one is a 1002B which cost me around $80 used. No sweepable mids or DSP, but otherwise sounds great. I'm still pretty picky on mics, pickups, speakers and passive DI boxes, but the inexpensive Behringer mixers sound fine.
And it's battery powered! So if you have a battery powered PA speaker, even like the $99 block rockers, you could put on a quick live show where there are no AC power options available.
Old 12-18-2018, 01:58 PM

Bigfoot party !

I'm in !

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 12-18-2018, 02:09 PM

When I first bought my Allen and Heath ZED 10FX I bought the comparable Yamaha, Mackie, Soundcraft, and Behringer Mixers, and brought them all home set them up with two sets of powered speakers (Mackie and JBL), and listened to them all. I kept the ZED, returned all the others, and soon after, I bought another ZED as a backup! For me, the ZED lined up nicely soundwise with my microphone of choice (Shure Beta 87), and I liked the feature set, which worked for what I wanted to do with it. The things I really like about the ZED besides the wonderful sounding preamps are: the tap tempo delay, the decent sounding reverbs, the sweepable mids, the high Z FET inputs for guitars with the extra 26db boost if needed, and 30db output pad for submixing into other mixers!

I have actually considered having a ZED 10FX custom mounted into a custom powered speaker cabinet for an all in one rig! Like a Schertler Jam 400 on steroids

I have since bought a QSC Touchmix 8, and it really sounds good too!
Old 12-18-2018, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsound View Post
And it's battery powered! So if you have a battery powered PA speaker, even like the $99 block rockers, you could put on a quick live show where there are no AC power options available.
I use my 1002B more than all of my larger mixers, plugged into my Bose S1 Pro. Running on battery dramatically reduces setup and tear down time.
Old 12-19-2018, 06:56 AM
AGF Sponsor

Don't forget to checkout Schertler's complete line of pro audio Mixers. All Class A discrete.
https://www.schertler.com/en_US/arthur

The Schertler DAVID: the second member of Schertler's "next generation" acoustic amplifier series
Old 12-29-2018, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schertler USA View Post
Don't forget to checkout Schertler's complete line of pro audio Mixers. All Class A discrete.
https://www.schertler.com/en_US/arthur
Hard to buck up without any parametric EQ in this price range, especially considering this is an audience of acoustic guitar people. And consider than I am perhaps the biggest Schertler fan on these pages. Do a search on Schertler posts to see me sing the praises of Schertler!!!
Old 01-02-2019, 08:23 AM

These do have the options for parametric mids.
their "mic in uln" strip offers this. they also
have their instrument yellow pre in a strip.
No di necessarry just plug your guitar into
the board.
You can custom order (build your own )any strip you want.
Which is kinda cool. These are way over the
top expensive. But i would imagine are top notch
fidelity. I configured a four ch board with two
parametric mic and two para instrument yellow inputs.
a lr main out . an aux master and the "Spring" which is effects.(1088.00)you have to buy the power supply
and wood end peices seperatly...(really? schertler)
I think it was just shy of $4000.00
for what amounts To a 4 ch board with effects.
Crazy expensive.. But i bet it sounds great.
The cool option is if you later were to grow from a duo to a trio
You can just order one mic and one inst yellow strip and add it on yourself.

Last edited by varmonter; 01-04-2019 at 07:26 AM.
Old 01-02-2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
Hard to buck up without any parametric EQ in this price range, especially considering this is an audience of acoustic guitar people. And consider than I am perhaps the biggest Schertler fan on these pages. Do a search on Schertler posts to see me sing the praises of Schertler!!!
I am also a huge Schertler fan (AG-6/S-Mic pickup and Roy amp), and I 100% agree. That much money for a mixer with 3 band EQ with no sweepable mids . . . come on!
Old 01-03-2019, 02:38 PM

Quote:
I am also a huge Schertler fan (AG-6/S-Mic pickup and Roy amp), and I 100% agree. That much money for a mixer with 3 band EQ with no sweepable mids . . . come on!
For that price you can buy another Roy which also has a Class A no negative feedback mixer in it!!!! Maybe Schertler is trying to appeal to the studio crowd here but I just don't get it.
Old 01-04-2019, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
For that price you can buy another Roy which also has a Class A no negative feedback mixer in it!!!! Maybe Schertler is trying to appeal to the studio crowd here but I just don't get it.
I agree . I couldnt find a reason to own one
unless schertler wanted me to beta test
it for them....hint.. hint .
It is still a pretty cool unit . And im sure
it sounds wonderful. But ill never know.
We are all potential lottery winners.

But in shopping for a small compact mixer.
The zed10x is hard to beat. because of its small footprint
and sweepable mids. Soundcraft doesnt have one this small
without losing that parametric mid control.

Last edited by varmonter; 01-04-2019 at 08:18 AM.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:00 AM
AGF Sponsor

The Prime series was designed specifically to be simple and portable, with simplicity and ease of use in mind. It’s unique and unparalleled architecture and concept is unlike anything else on the market.
In fact, many of our users say that experiencing the sound quality they get from our Prime series has completely changed the way they think about using a mixer!
If you have a chance to come down to LA for the Winter NAMM show, please visit us at Booth #4607 and have a listen!

The Schertler DAVID: the second member of Schertler's "next generation" acoustic amplifier series

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification