The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 10-09-2018, 02:38 PM

Why all the trash talk? Jealousy, perhaps? He did a fine job and looked good doing it. I’d hire him in my club in a minute.
Old 10-09-2018, 03:48 PM
Guitar Gourmet

"Asked and answered, your honor."

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 10-09-2018, 04:32 PM

I very much enjoyed the looping, the voice, the guitar work and the coordination it took to run foot pedals and knobs/buttons.

I also enjoyed the song.

I gots no problem with this and would enjoy going to a bar, wedding, coffeeshop or whatever and listen to this guy.

I'm easily entertained and the black sheep of my family.
Taylor T5Z
Big Muddy Mandolin-Ziricote b&s
Old 10-09-2018, 05:07 PM

Thumbs up Loopers

The era of the soloist has now leveled up from where soloing was . A guitarist/keyboard-pianist have no issues
soloing compared to a sax/flute/violinist , or accapellist .

Loopers opened up the world of soloists that play a [ lead ] type instrument .

And the guitarist/piano-keyboardist have taken advantage of this new technology (albeit it's been around 20 + years )
and skyrocketed into the new breed like KT Tunstall - Ed Sheeran - et cetera.

One of my favorite loopers today is Tonne Estas :

He also uses a EHX FREEZE a BOSS reverb & POG 2 - the BOSS pedal has a 20 second looper ( not sure exactly ) man does this
dude kick serious stuff out .

Funny how many put downs you read about loopers . Seems more like jealousy than anything else to cop that kind of attitude .

I started looping in the late 90's , it was a lot harder than I first thought . I was just getting fluid on guitar and my lack
of fluidity/grace made looping a tough go . Now 20+ years later I'm pretty good on my guitar playing and that translates
into better looping to .

When you hear a talented looper - it's all good to me .

EZ :

HR
Life has always been interesting to me

Old 10-09-2018, 08:54 PM

He sounds out of tune to me.
Alvarez AF60SHB
Seagull Concert Hall Mahogany
Harmony H1215. 1953
An 80 year old Kay (approx)
Epiphone ES-339
Epiphone Les Paul 50's Standard
3 home built Strat's
Old 10-19-2018, 10:42 AM

If I just listen to it (not watch-listening), it gets boring pretty fast. It's moderately clever in a 'look what I can do' vein, but I found the tones to be pedestrian and there was way too much repetition (kind of par for the course with most looping).

At one point he had a lead tone going against the background and my first thought was 'I bet if he just multi-tracked this he could get FAR superior sounds.' There was nothing I heard played that a top shelf instrument would have improved.

And, another thing about looping is that it seems to discourage using silence, one of the most (imo) important aspects of music.

I have a low tolerance for art where the complicated process becomes an integral part of the output. If it doesn't move me, then it won't get better once I learn the backstory, or find out about the incredible hardships endured, or huge obstacles overcome.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 11-13-2018, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Currie View Post
there was way too much repetition (kind of par for the course with most looping).
Depends on the person looping and the unit they're using. The Boomerang III has a bunch of modes that allow for more creativity.

Quote:
At one point he had a lead tone going against the background and my first thought was 'I bet if he just multi-tracked this he could get FAR superior sounds.'
That takes away from the "live" aspect. At that point, you could just sing to tracks with no guitar. With the right setup, you can change up how you approach songs from night to night

Quote:
And, another thing about looping is that it seems to discourage using silence, one of the most (imo) important aspects of music.
That's what I like about the Boomerang III. I set up track 3 as a master track. A one bar phrase and use tracks 1 & 2 to switch between verse and chorus or add and subtract parts as I go. I actually use the undo function as a way to subtract.

Quote:
I have a low tolerance for art where the complicated process becomes an integral part of the output.
I couldn't agree more. I'm pretty fast and efficient with my looping. Efficient and creative arrangements get the idea up and running quickly. I try to steer clear of getting too self indulgent, and more often than not, succeed.

Quote:
If it doesn't move me, then it won't get better once I learn the backstory, or find out about the incredible hardships endured, or huge obstacles overcome.
Agreed.

A looper is a tool. There are many ways to use it and I try to make everything I do, musical. If I wasn't doing that, I wouldn't be nearly as busy as I am.

I find that more often than not, people dig the process and enjoy the full sound that it can provide. It also allows me to play songs that would sound anemic without parts working together.

I played for years without one. I enjoy the freedom that looping provides.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN