The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-30-2018, 04:58 PM
Charter Member

John - thanks man, it's been a hectic couple of months but the excitement has flared up again since seeing the box closed! I'm well familiar with a 25.75" scale, and even had a 25.9" on a previous custom. I was sad to let the FF option go, but I know the standard long scale will serve me well. And thanks for the heads up on the neck profile - Marc's neck is a big part of the reason I fell in love with his guitars over the years. My hands are large but not huge, and his standard profile is a great fit.

And yeah, the strum arrows are a welcome addition Maybe we should add some LEDs to the fretboard to light the way? lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
I don't think Cheerios works with the rest of the build aesthetic. I would have Marc remove that before final delivery. I also think it's a bad idea to block off the sound hole.

I would also insist he glues the binding instead of simply taping it. I know that's an uncharge, but I've found it's worth it in the end. It is cool that he puts the time on that one piece of tape, so I would leave that piece.
Man, I said the same thing but Marc told me to eat my Wheaties and trust the process ... he also said something about this being a relic model, not sure what that means

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustinfurlow View Post
Im so excited for you, man. And even more excited to see photos come October.

I've been really enjoying my 25.75" scaled SJ. I keep either D'addario EJ or Nickel Bronze mediums on it and keep it tuned down to either DGCFAD (standard, but a full-step down) or CGCFGC (dadgad a full step down) and it just roars. Tuning it to standard pitch is fine too but I think the big body works amazing for lower voicings. Stays nice and clear and sounds super "open". The setup on mine is as good as it gets too, hasn't moved a bit.
Thanks, Dustin It's evident in your great demos how much you're connecting with yours. Hope to hear live vids of it at some point - did you put a pickup in it yet? I've fallen in love with the Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze mediums, so that'll be the first thing I try on mine.
Old 09-03-2018, 06:51 AM
Charter Member

I haven’t fit it with a K&K Trinity just yet but I will at some point, it’s oddly pleasant to have a guitar that I only use for practice and writing... The Larrivee is my main gigging guitar and the Model M a backup or ‘nice venue guitar” where I know there’s a clear stage area and people are on the quiet side. If I have a really nice show come up I’ll get the big gun locked and loaded

I haven’t used the AB’s in awhile, will have to give them a go on the SJ soon!

-Award-winning songwriter/guitarist, Visual storyteller
-D’Addario, G7th and K&K Sound Artist
-Music on Spotify, Apple Music and YouTube: www.youtube.com/dustinfurlow
-New album "Serene" (Oct '23) and tablature
available at www.dustinfurlow.com
Old 09-03-2018, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Alexander View Post
I had to dial back the build a bit due to some personal issues - it was originally going to be a fan fret, but it's now going to be a standard long scale (25.75").

I didn't bother posting some of the smaller updates, but here's the latest from Marc - it's currently on track for completion some time in October

Thought that was a cocktail on the top corner of you workbench, until I saw the brush in it. Drunken Luthier Challenge could be a whole other sub forum.
Old 09-14-2018, 11:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaptonWannabe2 View Post
Thought that was a cocktail on the top corner of you workbench, until I saw the brush in it. Drunken Luthier Challenge could be a whole other sub forum.
Haha! This is Marc's bench, and I'd like to think he saves the drinks for after hours! However, if he could get these results with a drink on the bench I'd be tempted to call fair play

Just a small update to share as Marc is a little behind, but it's coming along - body is done, and now on to the neck:

Old 09-14-2018, 04:58 PM

Thats a very nice Bewel. I believe it helps to prevent damages for spending to much time with your guitar ! With I'm sure will be easy with this baby !

Maybe I missed it, but how big is the lower bout?
Old 09-17-2018, 03:46 AM

Obviously, I haven't been visiting Custom Shop as often as I should...been watching for this thread and still missed it!

Congrats, Ryan. Looking good. Glad to see this is finally happening for you!

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.
Old 09-18-2018, 04:18 PM
Charter Member

Wow man, the bevel looks fantastic!!!

Old 09-19-2018, 06:11 AM
Charter Member

Zack - thanks! The lower bout is just shy of 17" (16-13/16") - my last guitar was a Lowden O-10, so with the bevel this should feel comparable.

Phil - thanks man If you look back in your emails, you'll realize I've been talking about my first order with Marc for something like 10 years. Crazy! Very happy it's finally happening, even if I had to drop the fanfret option. Next time

Dustin - thanks, I'm loving it so far! I meant to ask, did Marc use his 5pc design on your Walnut neck?
Old 09-28-2018, 12:02 PM
Charter Member

I received a note from Marc that the guitar is basically done and that he is hoping to get it into his spray booth today or tomorrow. Hope to be able to share a couple more pics soon!

Old 10-02-2018, 06:31 AM
Charter Member

Moving right along! The first few coats of finish have been applied.

Old 10-02-2018, 07:19 AM
Charter Member

Good lord!!! What a classy looking guitar man! I bet when you opened that email you got a big ole grin across your face. I can’t wait to see the guitars Marc is bringing to Woodstock this year.

Old 10-02-2018, 09:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustinfurlow View Post
Good lord!!! What a classy looking guitar man! I bet when you opened that email you got a big ole grin across your face. I can’t wait to see the guitars Marc is bringing to Woodstock this year.
Absolutely I was on the run when I saw it on my phone and decided to wait until I got to a desktop so I could fully appreciate the pics! I had asked Marc what he was building for Woodstock, but I didn't get a response - I get the feeling he is in crunch mode at the moment, so I've been trying to give him some space! haha
Old 10-03-2018, 07:21 PM

Beautiful! You have to be happy with how that one has come together, Ryan!
Old 10-04-2018, 05:44 AM
Charter Member

Thanks, Kenneth! I left the details to Marc (purfling, binding, headstock overlays etc) and I'm very happy with how it is turning out. Shouldn't be much longer now
Old 10-04-2018, 07:06 AM

lovely looking one there!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop