The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Closed Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 12:24 PM
Charter Member

Here's a real test, with 6 tracks: 2 guitars, bass, drums, vocals. About an hour all in...

Using just the Spire Studio app - no additional mixing or leveling with a DAW. Easy.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Here's a real test, with 6 tracks: 2 guitars, bass, drums, vocals. About an hour all in...

Using just the Spire Studio app - no additional mixing or leveling with a DAW. Easy.
That really sounded great!

Did you play/record all the instruments including bass and drums?
Old 12-11-2018, 12:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeStone View Post
That really sounded great!

Did you play/record all the instruments including bass and drums?
Thanks, Jake. Yes, I played each of the instruments. Bass and drums are a fun distraction. Easy to use the Spire with each of those; then a quick graphic mix.

My wife suggested the Spire last month when she saw something about it on Facebook. I thought it looked like a toy, and didn't pursue it at that time. Yes, I am an old dog... this is a new trick... but, and easy one. Now she wants me to add some keyboard/horns on some other songs.
Old 12-11-2018, 03:06 PM

Great Jim ...
I'm getting pretty solid recordings past couple days. I've been working on room room treatment and also trying to find "better" places in my home to record. Which is helping the sound greatly.
Old 12-11-2018, 05:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeStone View Post
Great Jim ...
I'm getting pretty solid recordings past couple days. I've been working on room room treatment and also trying to find "better" places in my home to record. Which is helping the sound greatly.
I have no doubt my guitar room could benefit from some sound absorbing material - I did put an area rug in there, but it is a small room with a lot of hard surfaces. That said, I am happy to have the space I have and a wife who encourages my life-long guitar passion.

Old 12-11-2018, 05:46 PM
Charter Member

Does anyone have experience using the Android App?

D
Old 12-12-2018, 05:08 PM
Charter Member

Hey D, I understand the Android app is fairly recent and doesn't have some of the features of the iOS version... yet.

https://www.spire.live/en/support/us...atibility.html

Here's a link to today's recording with the Spire...

Old 12-13-2018, 12:32 PM
Charter Member

Day 3, song 3 - a request from my Honey. A Beatles' "silly love song"...

7 tracks: one guitar (Emerald X20), bass, drums, shaker, 1 main vocal, 1 backup vocals. First time I've been on a time frame to finish - we're heading out to lunch with friends. Just under an hour for all 7 tracks, and a quick trim at the beginning and end.
Old 12-14-2018, 08:16 AM

Please stop! This site is costing me!
I just ordered mine yesterday......
But at least GC matched the Amazon price so the 20% helped.
Captain Jim has convinced me that the Spire is what I have been needing. A simple to operate recorder......at least I hope so. If it sounds anywhere remotely close to your recordings I will be thrilled.
Thanks, I hope 👏
Old 12-14-2018, 10:00 AM
Charter Member

JJ, I hope your experience with it is good. During the wait while mine was being shipped, I watched some videos to get an idea of how best to use it. It is surprisingly easy... there is a stylish "manual" (round) that comes in the box, but only 1 instruction (in a bunch of different languages) on each page. Not much of a learning curve.
Old 12-14-2018, 05:54 PM
Charter Member

Day 4, song 4...

To get used to the Spire, I told myself I'd do one song each day for a week. As it turns out, the learning curve for this fun little unit is a snap. I keep experimenting with different settings, mics, and guitars acoustic through the onboard mic and plugged in. Easy.
Old 12-14-2018, 07:01 PM

Captain - Very cool .. your song sounds great!

Yeah, I have been experimenting a lot too. LOL.. I've recorded more in past 2 weeks.. Then in past 2 years!

It's a fun piece of gear!

The "selling" feature for me... it's a totally wireless recorder. I'm not tied to anything other than headphones. It doesn't even require the iPad to record.

That's it's Easy, clean sounding, fairly versatile with the iPad App.. Wireless export individual tracks to my PC and import into Reaper ..
Old 12-15-2018, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Day 4, song 4...

To get used to the Spire, I told myself I'd do one song each day for a week. As it turns out, the learning curve for this fun little unit is a snap. I keep experimenting with different settings, mics, and guitars acoustic through the onboard mic and plugged in. Easy.
This is your best yet Captain! You're going to make me spend this money, aren't you!
Happy Holidays,
frankie
Old 12-15-2018, 08:38 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the kind words. I have been playing for a lot of years, but this recording stuff is fairly new to me. I appreciate how easy the Spire Studio is to use. I'm recording for the fun of it, at the urging of my wife; not self-promoting, nor looking to sell anything.

I enjoy playing the other instruments, and the mix is, likewise, easy with the Spire app.

Like Jake wrote, it is slick with the wireless set up. I plug the bass or electronic drums directly into it, and don't have to mess with an amp. I'm getting a better acoustic sound with it (to my ears) through the onboard mic, compared to the Zoom. As long as it's fun, I'll be using it. I told my wife, "One song a day for a week." I do have a life besides this. I figure after a week or so with it, it should be usable without too much "over-thinking."
Old 12-15-2018, 08:54 AM

Captain,
I forgot to ask you this-can you record two tracks at a time? I see two inputs on the back. If so, how do you set the level for each when using two simultaneously?
Thank you,
fd

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD