The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-10-2019, 10:22 PM

Default Martin Authentic Acoustic Strings

I put a set of the 80/20 Bronze SP lights (MA140) on my FG800 this afternoon. This is my first time trying the new makeover line from Martin, though I've used other strings from them before. In fact I removed a set of the old M140s, also 80/20, in order to put these new ones on. So far I'm liking them. To my ears this is the most impressed I've been with a fresh set of strings. They have that zing that most new strings have, but it's not harsh or overly bright. The individual notes have a refreshing clarity. When strummed my guitar rings out with stunning sustain. Just about every previous set I've used has taken a few days or weeks even to get used to. I'm enjoying these right off the bat. Hopefully, they will last.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:50 AM

DWKITT, Thanks for the review and I'm really glad you like the new strings. I have been annoyed since Martin changed their string line because I liked what I liked and that doesn't exist anymore. I've got about a dozen sets of the old Martins and have been considering strings from other manufacturers. I hope other members will share their experiences with the new Martin strings.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:20 AM
Charter Member

Yes, I used to like D'Addario strings better than Martin, but the new Authentic 80/20's are my new favorites. They seem to be working out really nicely on every guitar, most recently replacing Retro's on my Dread Jr.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:49 AM
Charter Member

It is my new favourite coated strings now, before that, i was mainly using Elixirs
Lindsay Marcus D - Sitka/Madi RW

Gone But Not Forgotten
Tom Sands Model S (Crystal) - Italian/Fiddleback Hog
Old 02-11-2019, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandaroo View Post
It is my new favourite coated strings now, before that, i was mainly using Elixirs
Are you using PB or 80/20 in the new Authenic line. Lights or mediums?
Old 02-11-2019, 06:09 AM
Charter Member

I'm using light 80/20's and so far, phos/bronze next.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:47 AM

I still have 4 sets of M140 I bought in bulk of 10 sets, but yesterday looked at online strings vendors and was appalled to see they sell new uncoated Martin 80/20 in bulk of 25 sets, with the price increase from $2.6 to $3.6 for one set!

So, after I will run out of fresh M140s I will think hard for other options on the market... Very likely will switch to D'Addario 80/20 in 3 sets.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:53 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWKitt View Post
I put a set of the 80/20 Bronze SP lights (MA140) on my FG800 this afternoon. This is my first time trying the new makeover line from Martin, though I've used other strings from them before. In fact I removed a set of the old M140s, also 80/20, in order to put these new ones on. So far I'm liking them. To my ears this is the most impressed I've been with a fresh set of strings. They have that zing that most new strings have, but it's not harsh or overly bright. The individual notes have a refreshing clarity. When strummed my guitar rings out with stunning sustain. Just about every previous set I've used has taken a few days or weeks even to get used to. I'm enjoying these right off the bat. Hopefully, they will last.
Yep..that’s my experience, too. Loving the Treated PB 12s on both my Martin dreads.

Old 02-11-2019, 07:09 AM

I put a set of the Authentic 80/20 mediums on my Taylor. Right away I noticed they were not as 'harsh' (I know that's a relative term) when first put on - I usually play new strings in for 15-20 minutes, then let them settle overnight - I have been using Lifespan 80/20 mediums for some time. These strings didn't need that wait to sound good.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 02-11-2019, 12:55 PM

I just took the 800 out of its case where it slept for the past 12 hours and gave it a play for a few minutes. I really do like these new Martin strings. Feels and sounds like I have a brand new guitar. Just enough brightness or jangle as some may call it but with really good clarity as well. I think Martin has done good here with this new improved line.
Old 02-11-2019, 04:25 PM

I tried a set of the light MA540T PB strings on my J-45 and they sound great. Been on a couple weeks and I think they're about perfect for that guitar. I bought a couple more sets to try on some of the others. Good strings so far.
Old 02-11-2019, 04:40 PM

I'm on my second set of the new Martin strings on my Gibson J-29. I like them quite a bit - using lights, phosphor bronze. Warmer than the Elixirs I usually use, but the don't last as long. I get about a month or so out of them, which isn't bad, I suppose. I play for maybe an hour a day in a pretty humid part of the United States.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
La Michoacana Classical (my Dad's guitar)
Beat to heck Seagull S6
Ovation Celebrity 12 string
Fender CD 60 dread that lives in Greece
Harmonicas in a Farmer rack
Old 02-11-2019, 04:43 PM

What is new about how they manufacture these new Martin strings? What makes them different than the old strings?
Old 02-11-2019, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug MacPherson View Post
What is new about how they manufacture these new Martin strings? What makes them different than the old strings?
I think they have electrolytes...like Brawndo.
Old 03-16-2019, 10:19 AM

After my Martin dealer convinced me to switch, I just installed a set of Authentic Lifespan 2.0 80/20 bronze Lights 12-54 on my 000. Mind you, that was just a few hours ago so I will give the set some time to settle down but at first sound, I really don't like the feel or the sound of them at all! I have always been partial to Elixir and have them on my 12 string and folk guitars and the (newly purchased) 000 is next in line for Elixirs, looks like.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion