The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-02-2018, 06:16 AM

I'm going to second the recommendation for Alvarez; both the all mahogany AP66 and the spruce and rosewood AP70 are fine, grown up little guitars, very well made, easy to play and they sound very nice. The small size and shorter scale are perfect for a petite frame. Their 'entry level' price does not reflect their quality.

AP70: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJVTssHagQU
Old 02-02-2018, 07:05 AM

There are some advantages to laminated woods on guitars as they're often less susceptible to damage from impromptu collisions with furniture and the backs and sides are less prone to damage from low humidity.

If you find an entry level guitar made with laminated woods that you love, I think that going with a guitar you do not love as much, just because it's solid wood, might be a mistake.

If you've tried all sorts and love the Washburn the most - then I think you should buy the Washburn and get started on your path as a guitar enthusiast.
Taylor GS Mini-e Spruce/Rosewood
Waterloo WL-S
Wechter TO-8418

Cordoba 24T tenor ukulele
Kanile'a Islander MST-4 tenor ukulele
Kiwaya KTC-1 concert ukulele
Kolohe concert ukulele
Mainland Mahogany soprano ukulele
Ohana SK-28 soprano ukulele
Brüko No. 6 soprano ukulele
Old 02-02-2018, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloing View Post
Roy - you are absolutely correct!

I'm so darn torn. No Alverez's by me to try. I wasn't into the parlor one that I tried (well, two).

They had a gs mini koa that I played on that I LOVED, no way I am spending the $800 right now, though. I still love the little washburn, it's the most comfortable of them all to play. The koa is the nicest, and the little martin I'm still drawn to - mainly b/c it just feels heavier and sturdier to me than the others. Sturdy is good in my house with kids and dogs. The Washburn is so light. I feel like I'm going to bang it around more than it can handle!

UGH - this decision is too hard! Maybe I can find one to just borrow until I get my bearings...
If you really like that Washburn you should get it. Comfort and ease of play are the most important factor starting out. A guitar that is fun to play gets played often and that is the key to success for learning. Get a case for it to protect it. Lighter built instruments sound great, but you are right, they are more susceptible to physical damage.

It's easy to get bogged down with analysis paralysis. Go with your gut, it will be right 90% of the time.

If you preferred the Taylor, you should consider a couple of things:

1) Many online retailers offer 12/24/36 months financing the same as cash.
2) Whats the price difference between the Taylor Koa versus the Washburn + a case.
3) Consider a Taylor GS Mini Mahogany. Comes with a very nice case and tone will be similar, though not the same, as the KOa model. $499 all in.
4) If you quit playing and have to sell, the Taylor will sell quickly and for about $600 given the stats on Reverb

Whatever you get, it sounds like you will need a case.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 02-06-2018, 09:20 PM

Default Thanks so much

I just wanted to say thank you for helping me out. You are all so wonderful for taking time out to make recommendations!

I didn't have an Alvarez nearby and didn't love the parlors I tried, so I pretty much kept it to the Taylor GS Mini Mahogany & the Washburn Comfort Series travel guitar.

I actually wound up going with the Washburn. I liked the sound and thought it was much more comfortable. It has a great range. I have a feeling I will be back to the Taylor in due time, but wanted to go for the Washburn for learning, and also handing down to the kids when they are ready.

Once I'm amazing, I can upgrade to the Taylor, or another guitar.

Again, thank you! I can't wait to continue loitering and learn so much from all of you!
Old 04-22-2018, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
Nope. Laminate back and sides. Wasburn's site lists "Mahogany" as B&S material - guitarspeak for laminate (otherwise they would state all-solid as it is a HUGE selling point).
Roy, I found this comment of yours interesting as I am looking for my first Acoustic (steel string). Is this true of all or most manuf that if B&S don't say solid, then it is probably laminate?

John
Old 04-23-2018, 08:06 AM

Default Humm

The Comfort series from Washburn are fun little guitars to play and yes they have a laminate back/side mind you that bevel makes it pretty easy to play however not all Washburns are always marked as solid woods and the markings ( model names ) can confuse a lot of folks.
And as mentioned you should trust your own ears what may sound good to some may not to others and for me I am not of fan of either the Martin nor the Taylor mentioned but the price difference is a bit more for a beginner to want to pay so good luck and have fun with it which is what it always start out as. ship

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
beginner, taylor gs mini, travel guitar, washburn comfort mini