The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-06-2010, 07:15 PM
Charter Member

Default Some Rode NT2A mic samples

I just got done borrowing a Rode NT2-A mic from a friend. I enjoyed the chance to try it out with my own gear, which is a Presonus Mobile, Logic on the Mac, and KRK RP5 monitors. Thought some folks might be interested in hearing the samples.

http://soundcloud.com/antonemery/set...-a-mic-samples

I like them ok enough. Its still a bit muddy and dark and bassy for my tastes. It may be my living room. Mic was 20' away, set to the cardoid pattern. I tried various close micing positions, but kept getting to much bass and boominess, even when pointed around the 12th fret, and avoiding the sound hole. Perhaps i would have an easier time with a stereo mic setup.

Anton
Old 11-06-2010, 10:16 PM

Very nice (playing and sound)!
I get a bit of the muddy and bassy on headphones—I would have said warm and natural when just listening to speakers. Still not a "bright" or tinny sound...food for thought!
Old 11-06-2010, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anton View Post
I just got done borrowing a Rode NT2-A mic from a friend. I enjoyed the chance to try it out with my own gear, which is a Presonus Mobile, Logic on the Mac, and KRK RP5 monitors. Thought some folks might be interested in hearing the samples.

http://soundcloud.com/antonemery/set...-a-mic-samples

I like them ok enough. Its still a bit muddy and dark and bassy for my tastes. It may be my living room. Mic was 20' away, set to the cardoid pattern. I tried various close micing positions, but kept getting to much bass and boominess, even when pointed around the 12th fret, and avoiding the sound hole. Perhaps i would have an easier time with a stereo mic setup.

Anton
The first thing to try in an untreated room is to move about 2 feet in any direction. The wavelength of a 100 hz wave is about 11 feet, 200 hz is half that, so if you're in a standing wave node two feet should get you started out of it.

Next, use the high pass filter switches on the NT2a. I would start with the max, 80 hz and 10 db. If that makes things better, try some of the other settings.

To check for proximity, switch to omni - presto, no proximity effect at all - but about a 30% increase in reflected sound.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 11-06-2010, 10:20 PM

Try some over-the-shoulder positions ie put the mic somewhere near your head, aimed down at the soundhole or thereabouts. Usually I put the mic about a foot or so in front of my head. This always seems to work well for me with a cardioid mic but omni or fig 8 might work better in this position with your nt2a. I think there's a good chance this will solve your problem.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:08 AM

That's not a particularly boomy mic. Get someone else to play your guitar. Stand in front. Stick a finger in one ear and mover your head around until you hear what you like. Put the mic there.

Plan 2: in cardioid, with the hot side pointed at the guitar, four inches out from where the neck joins the body. For more bass, angle the mic slightly towards the sound hole.

Stereo mics will not improve your situation.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Old 11-08-2010, 07:59 PM

sounds really good.. clean, realistic..

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD