The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 12-06-2020, 06:25 PM

Probably a variation of the old Ampeg Big-M 1x15", but with added reverb; the bulletproof transformers are no surprise - IME old Ampegs are some of the most reliable amps out there - which also IMO suggests a 20-30W Class-AB topology, but the move to 12A-7 type tubes is definitely rooted in post-1964 Ampeg technology (my '64 Rocket uses 2x6SL7 octal preamp tubes)...

Don't sweat the pics - although greatly appreciated, you provided plenty of information...
Old 12-06-2020, 07:30 PM
Charter Member

Default Quilter Micro Pro

Here's my favorite. They make this amp with an 8, 10, or 12 inch speaker. I prefer the 8 inch. Super quality in every respect.

https://www.quilterlabs.com/index.ph...ach-2-combo-8/
Old 12-06-2020, 08:29 PM

And here’s a fellow playing an archtop through a quilter amp and a new preamp that is basically a Gibson EH-150 circuit made with FETs in a pedal format. Not a bad representation of that pre-war “wooly” tone:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=fwkycxfdoGs
Old 12-07-2020, 06:50 AM

Some "interesting" stuff there. I'm looking for the portability and simplicity of a solid state amp. Curious to hear from anyone that uses the Henriksen Bud10 to sing and play through. What are your experiences?

The old clunky tube stuff is cool but not what I (or anyone) is looking to load in/out of the trunk for live playing.

I have a Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue that is wonderful for strats & teles and would prob work well for an electric archtop as well. I never thought about singing through it however
Old 12-07-2020, 11:22 AM

+1 for Henriksen. The 120w Bud Ten has twin channels with independent reverb, fx loop and 5-band eq for each channel, plus line out..... Only 20lbs. Not cheap

https://www.henriksenamplifiers.com/...t/the-bud-ten/
Old 12-07-2020, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
...If you're into vintage tube gear I'd recommend seeking out a good blue-check Ampeg Gemini II 30W 1x15" combo
This is exactly what I would recommend, and I feel they are steals in the vintage guitar amp market. For a smaller sound, and early silverface Princeton Reverb can still be had for a reasonable price.
Old 12-07-2020, 02:20 PM

It appears from your responses that what you are actually looking for is a small solid state amp.

In that case the Henriksen is an obvious choice. Also Evans and Mambo.

The DV Mark Little Jazz combos are worth looking into - some guys prefer them over the Henriksen and they’re considerably cheaper. Depends on the sound you’re looking for.

Lots of guys like Quilter Amps but they are not specifically designed for jazz players, which may be an advantage or disadvantage depending on what you’re using it for.

All the jazz guys used to be into the Acoustic Image heads with Raezer’s Edge cabinets (often described while referencing Pat Martino), but those are less popular these days due to the advent of smaller, lighter options. Still highly respected though, and forum members always usually end their posts by saying, “it’s my best sounding amp but my new (put brand name here) amp is more convenient to carry.”

Raezer’s Edge has recently come out with their own amp head called the Luna. There’s a fair bit of talk about it on jazzguitar.be, but that’s a small solid state amp head similar in size to a Quilter, so you’d need a cabinet for it.
Old 12-08-2020, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc. View Post
...Lots of guys like Quilter Amps but they are not specifically designed for jazz players, which may be an advantage or disadvantage depending on what you’re using it for...
Actually, they do have one - the MicroPro Mach 2 HD 1x12" Combo:

From the Quilter website:
Quote:
...The ultimate amp for serious headroom in a small package, the HD-12 combo uses yet another Quilter driver cherry-picked from the pro-audio catalog. The Celestion BN12-300s sports a neo magnet and larger voice coil with a 300 watt rating, and provides a cleaner, wider range response than the alternative Classic Lead 80. Combined with its lighter weight, it's perfect for the the jazz or blues player or anyone who loves an EVM-12L type speaker response.

The powerful magnet, cloth suspension, and parabolic cone provide deeper bass and smoother mids, with well controlled highs that wake up when pushed with overdrive. Great for electric and especially hollow body instruments, the HD-12 combo packs a serious punch for players who want to fill the stage with a combo that only weighs 21 pounds. Plays well by itself, or when stacked on the MicroPro Extension Cab..
Not cheap at $1299, but neither are the Henriksen or Evans - and IMO the Quilter is not only more stylistically versatile, but offers more tone-shaping options when you're inclined to venture outside the straight-ahead jazz realm...
Old 12-09-2020, 06:32 AM
Charter Member

My Eastman AR 16 Jazz Elite sounds pretty good though my AER Compact 60.

D
Old 12-09-2020, 09:37 AM
Charter Member

I heartily recommend Evans amps - they're not cheap but remarkable amps built by a single guy in NC. I have the RE200 - 200 watts into an Eminence 10" speaker and it's just the perfect amp for me at just 27 pounds. I also have and recommend the Quilter 101R with whatever cabinet you want to hook it to - mine is an Ear Candy 'Mr Watts' clone that I built with an 8" Eminence Alpha A speaker - the whole thing weighs about 12 pounds.

Both of these are very useable for jazz - I use them with my Tele and plan to use them with my incoming '94 Gibson ES-165 Herb Ellis model.

I have had Roland Cubes in the past as well as various Polytones and for some reason couldn't bond with them - too 'boxy' sounding to my ear. The Roland Jazz Chorus amps used to be popular but I hear they have a 'hiss' problem that can't be gotten rid of.

Good luck in your search.
Old 12-09-2020, 12:54 PM

Actually, they do have one - the MicroPro Mach 2 HD 1x12" Combo

I didn't know about this one - I'll have to give it a try, thanks
Old 12-09-2020, 12:57 PM

Some of you might find this interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nF0b...ature=emb_logo
Old 12-09-2020, 01:06 PM

That link I posted is a Youtube video of the jazz guitarist Mark Kleinhaut comparing four Class D solid state amp heads through the same Raezer's Edge NY8 cabinet: Quilter Toneblock 202, Acoustic Image Clarus SLR, Raezer's Edge Luna and a Walter Woods mi-100-8.
Old 12-10-2020, 10:21 AM
Charter Member

If you can find one, the Carvin Vintage 16 would be a good choice.

Cheers!
Old 12-10-2020, 12:38 PM

I like my Fishman LoudBox mini for my big band playing.

"If you try to play like someone else, Who will play like you". Quote from Johnny Gimble

The only musician I have to impress today is the musician I was yesterday.

No tubes, No capos, No Problems.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops