The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-03-2024, 01:20 AM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY
Default Carbon Fiber guitar expo?

Has anyone heard of a carbon fiber guitar expo? Thanks.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 05-03-2024, 02:36 PM

Karen, you might check out the threads related to the Phoenix Carbon Fest in February of 2018. We made it happen, and Kramster hosted at his house. There were ~20 CF guitars from all major brands and nine players, plus a couple of spouses. I don't participate here much anymore -- made an exception for your request -- so it is best to send me an email if you want more detail than a forum search can provide. PM's are not visible unless one is logged in, so contact has to be via email.
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=519216
Old 05-03-2024, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenB View Post
Has anyone heard of a carbon fiber guitar expo? Thanks.
It's starting to look like before long it would only be Emerald expo-ed.
Old 05-04-2024, 06:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
It's starting to look like before long it would only be Emerald expo-ed.
That would be sad. Competition generally improves the breed.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 05-04-2024, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
That would be sad. Competition generally improves the breed.
I agree with that.

I don't own an alternate material guitar, but I've watched the development of the genre for several years now. There is occasionally a new face or new idea that pops up and then it seems that there's a steady decline until the brand eventually succumbs to market pressure.

I've always felt that to be an odd reaction, and I'm mystified why there isn't more successful innovation for the products. I thought that the Ecoa Blackbirds might take off, but that hasn't been the case, either. One company, Dragon plate, is even using Ecoa as a center material in carbon based sheets because it has a very similar damping factor to wood.

The larger factor might simply be cost, and there will always be a certain percentage of guitar purchasers who don't mind spending more for what they consider to be the upper range of a product. Emerald certainly fits that profile.

Unfortunately, the lower end of what we might see seems to be more toy than guitar.

There does appear that there are a few of the Chinese manufacturers who are starting to catch wind of the possibility of making money by producing cheap knock-offs of better known products. It wouldn't be anything I was interested in, but I love wood guitars.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber