The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-01-2021, 11:44 AM
Charter Member

Default Crypto Holders and any interest in using as payment for a guitar

Just checking to see who is holding crypto and would you take crypto as a form or payment or pay with crypto for a guitar.

I have been holding Vechain for about a year and half and its finally really beginning to get me some big gains. I have my eye on a couple of guitars that I would now be able to purchase with the profits that I have from VET. I dont have the actual cash in my bank account so I would need to cash the crypto out which will hit me big come tax time so I was wondering who would be comfortable in a hypothetical sale in taking crypto as a form of payment. For those unsure how the process would go, it is very similar to a paypal money transfer in that you have a wallet address that has its own unique code attached to it. The buyer would just send a pre-determined amount of crypto to your wallet and depending on which crypto was being sent would arrive to you in a pretty short amount of time.

Crypto is such a wildcard that it got either be a really great deal for you, or if the crypto tanked before you could cash out, be really bad. Just wanting to get some others perspective on it.
Old 05-01-2021, 11:47 AM
Anticipation Junkie

I’d accept it in exchange for an air guitar.
Old 05-01-2021, 11:55 AM

Technically, I'm fairly sure, you'd need to report that as if it was transferred to your bank account.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 05-01-2021, 01:20 PM

Chances are that you will not receive a 1099-B on crypto transactions. So not reporting gain on cash proceeds if you sell the coins first or use coins to purchase goods directly will yield equivalent results.

You can choose to report the gain on your federal return or not. It won't be any easier for the IRS to determine the truth regardless which method of not-reporting income you use.

My Etherium is up 370% in 3 years. It will upgrade my next Audi purchase from an S to an RS. (I pay the tax.)
Old 05-01-2021, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonWint View Post
Chances are that you will not receive a 1099-B on crypto transactions. So not reporting gain on cash proceeds if you sell the coins first or use coins to purchase goods directly will yield equivalent results.

You can choose to report the gain on your federal return or not. It won't be any easier for the IRS to determine the truth regardless which method of not-reporting income you use.

My Etherium is up 370% in 3 years. It will upgrade my next Audi purchase from an S to an RS. (I pay the tax.)
I reported everything on a 1099-B this year. I'm not taking chances.

I bought the majority of my ETH exactly 4 years ago.
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 05-01-2021, 01:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonWint View Post

ETH is finally pumping and living up to what theyve been saying for months now. Congrats!
Old 05-01-2021, 01:50 PM

My understanding is that if you've held it for more than a year you are taxed at the capital gains rate, which should be capped at 20%. That's no different if you sell now or hold it longer.
2014 Epiphone Les Paul Junior - sold
Old 05-01-2021, 03:07 PM
Get off my lawn kid

I made enough on Doge a little while ago to more than pay me back for my Furch Yellow. I had bought in at 7 cents. I wish I had bought a lot earlier I'm playing the dips now with an ear to the ground....

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 05-01-2021, 04:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I made enough on Doge a little while ago to more than pay me back for my Furch Yellow. I had bought in at 7 cents. I wish I had bought a lot earlier I'm playing the dips now with an ear to the ground....
Looking pretty good today! Excellent strategy
Old 05-01-2021, 05:52 PM
Charter Member

Tulips, anyone?
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 05-02-2021, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
Tulips, anyone?
Why, whatever can you mean?

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/tul...ash/1100619904
Old 05-03-2021, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
Tulips, anyone?
Did the tulip "bubble" last 4 years? In December, I wanted to realise some profits so I cashed about twice my total investments from a few years earlier. What I have left is about 5 times my total investment still.

And, wow, ETH is really moving the past week.
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 05-03-2021, 02:37 PM

To answer OP’s question: wouldn’t accept crypto as payment for anything. If I changed my mind and were to accept crypto, I’d charge a premium to protect me if there were any downward price fluctuations in between the time we agree to a sales price and the time I would receive and liquidate the crypto.

I have read about crypto, and I don’t understand crypt. Especially (but not only) “crypto mining”. So it would not constitute an investment for me (putting money into something I don’t understand and which has price fluctuations that I don’t understand is not an investment). YMMV.
Old 05-03-2021, 02:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyhu View Post
To answer OP’s question: wouldn’t accept crypto as payment for anything. If I changed my mind and were to accept crypto, I’d charge a premium to protect me if there were any downward price fluctuations in between the time we agree to a sales price and the time I would receive and liquidate the crypto.

I have read about crypto, and I don’t understand crypt. Especially (but not only) “crypto mining”. So it would not constitute an investment for me (putting money into something I don’t understand and which has price fluctuations that I don’t understand is not an investment). YMMV.
Thanks for the reply!

Interesting take; it would be risky for the exact reason you cited, it might drop 10 - 20% in a 24 hour period and could also upswing during that same time, you just never know. If you already have a wallet and can access it easily, you can usually cash out pretty quickly after the coin is transferred to you and you received it.
I would take it now that I do have an investment in it and have a decent understanding of how it works. If I didnt have a grasp or was pretty new, I wouldnt but depending on the coin they buyer was wanting to pay with I wouldn't have any problem accepting it as payment.
Old 05-03-2021, 02:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
Did the tulip "bubble" last 4 years? In December, I wanted to realise some profits so I cashed about twice my total investments from a few years earlier. What I have left is about 5 times my total investment still.

And, wow, ETH is really moving the past week.
Congrats! I got in at the height in 2017 and lost about 95% of my initial investment which wasnt much and wasnt a big deal to me. I forgot about it for a couple of years until the pandemic and started following it again around March of last year. I am now up about 8x from what I have put into it. Its certainly been a wild ride and not for the weak hearted

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic