The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 04-08-2021, 09:29 AM

Question Strings for incoming Godin Kingpin II

I have a new (to me) Godin Kingpin II incoming. I'm a strummer who plays roots music. I was going to buy some 12-54 Retro monels, but decided to check my string stash first to see if there's anything worth trying first.

I have the following:

Retro MJ13 (hybrid medium/light, which I really liked on my Rainsong CH-OM): 13-17-24-32-42-56

JP Pure Nickel: 12-16-24- 32-42-54

DR Pure Blues (which I suspect are too light): 11-14-18-28-38-50

Recommendations?
Old 04-08-2021, 01:30 PM

I use Retro MM13's on my all-acoustic 5th Avenue and like the prewar tonal mojo (should be perfect for the style you're playing) - IMO start with the Juber medium-lights and go up/down from there...
Old 04-08-2021, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
I use Retro MM13's on my all-acoustic 5th Avenue and like the prewar tonal mojo (should be perfect for the style you're playing) - IMO start with the Juber medium-lights and go up/down from there...
Thanks Steve.
Old 04-09-2021, 05:10 AM

Your guitar is an acoustic/electric instrument. My personal choice would be to start with whatever strings suit how you will play it the most, acoustic or electric, and adapt to whatever mode you play the least. I'm currently using D'Addrio Chromes flatwound on my acoustic/electric and enjoying them, but I often go back to straight ahead acoustic strings because I rarely play through an amplifier so that mode is kind of irrelevant. Gauge is a matter of personal choice, I favor .011's or .012's mostly, but if you are a strummer and you like the Monel .013's on another guitar that's probably what I would put on first. Have fun with your new Godin!
Old 04-09-2021, 11:09 AM

I like GHS White Bronze 12s on my Kingpin II - good compromise between acoustic tone and balanced strings when plugged in...
Old 04-09-2021, 09:44 PM

Been using monels on my single pickup Kingpin for a few years now. Match made in heaven to my ears.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 04-09-2021, 11:53 PM

for the OP - from what you have listed as on hand I suggest you try the JP pure nickels 1st. These would be a good baseline string to get used to the guitar. Magnetic enough try out the nice pickups and will get a decent tone unplugged. 12's are Ok with these you can try 0.13s at some point later on. I agree with the above that the Martin Retros are good with these. I have retros on my Kingpin now.
Old 04-10-2021, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC5C View Post
Your guitar is an acoustic/electric instrument. My personal choice would be to start with whatever strings suit how you will play it the most, acoustic or electric, and adapt to whatever mode you play the least. I'm currently using D'Addrio Chromes flatwound on my acoustic/electric and enjoying them, but I often go back to straight ahead acoustic strings because I rarely play through an amplifier so that mode is kind of irrelevant. Gauge is a matter of personal choice, I favor .011's or .012's mostly, but if you are a strummer and you like the Monel .013's on another guitar that's probably what I would put on first. Have fun with your new Godin!
Thanks for weighing in on this.
Old 04-10-2021, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanS View Post
I like GHS White Bronze 12s on my Kingpin II - good compromise between acoustic tone and balanced strings when plugged in...
I've never tried these and will put them on my list to try in the future.
Old 04-10-2021, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
Been using monels on my single pickup Kingpin for a few years now. Match made in heaven to my ears.
What gauge do you use, Jeff?
Old 04-10-2021, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadzmad View Post
for the OP - from what you have listed as on hand I suggest you try the JP pure nickels 1st. These would be a good baseline string to get used to the guitar. Magnetic enough try out the nice pickups and will get a decent tone unplugged. 12's are Ok with these you can try 0.13s at some point later on. I agree with the above that the Martin Retros are good with these. I have retros on my Kingpin now.
What gauge Retros do you use on yours?
Old 04-10-2021, 09:44 AM

I have the single p90 non cutaway model. If I am plugging in most of the time use 12s but I will play accoustic for a month of so at a time and put on 13's. Unplugged these plywood guitars just seem to "wake up" with the heavier 13's.

But by all means try out different strings and maybe a set of flatwounds and find what works for you. I found that some sets sound best new and others after being played in for a couple of weeks.
Old 04-10-2021, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax238 View Post
What gauge do you use, Jeff?
.012s, but I replace the E and B with those from a set of .013s.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 04-11-2021, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadzmad View Post
I have the single p90 non cutaway model. If I am plugging in most of the time use 12s but I will play accoustic for a month of so at a time and put on 13's. Unplugged these plywood guitars just seem to "wake up" with the heavier 13's.

But by all means try out different strings and maybe a set of flatwounds and find what works for you. I found that some sets sound best new and others after being played in for a couple of weeks.
I'm around 50/50 acoustic vs plugged in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
.012s, but I replace the E and B with those from a set of .013s.
Thanks.

While I was going to start with the Retro LJ13 set that I have on hand, I decided to buy a set of 12-54's instead.

Last edited by Long Road Home; 04-17-2021 at 11:16 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops