The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 03-29-2021, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watchman View Post
The Eagles were the point at which rock became the dominant force in "pop" music. That is, they weren't out to make innovative and musically important albums: they were there to unapoligetically make hits and sell records and concert tickets. None of that sensitive singer-songwriter stuff or the save-the-world with love crap. .
Yeah, Henley saved that for his solo career.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 03-29-2021, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
I never said they were overrated. I was asking the forum.
Touch a nerve, did we?
Not at all. It was an attempt at humor. And as could have been predicted, lost on the crowd. Go figure.
Old 03-29-2021, 06:25 PM
Charter Member

Of course this is completely subjective, but I think that of the groups named by the OP, only the Beatles were a better band. The Eagles were far better than all others mentioned. CSN and the Beach Boys probably closest on their heals. The Rolling Stones are by far the most overrated band of all time, in my opinion.
Old 03-29-2021, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
The Rolling Stones are by far the most overrated band of all time, in my opinion.
I understand this opinion from experience. I saw the 'infamous' 1972 tour when they came to Seattle, and they started close to an hour late, were out of tune and the sloppiest playing I've ever heard from a stadium-level band.

I was a big fan at that time, so I was absolutely gutted. I don't think I enjoyed even one song.

(Stevie Wonder was the opening act - he was SO good it made the contrast even starker.)

And for the Eagles, I really dug them when they first came out. It was a fresh sound.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 03-30-2021, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edcmat-l1 View Post
Not at all. It was an attempt at humor. And as could have been predicted, lost on the crowd. Go figure.
Next time, maybe use one of these.

It’s sometimes difficult to convey sarcasm in text.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 03-30-2021, 05:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwasichu View Post
I think The album “One of These Nights” might be their best. Take nothing away from Hotel California, but I always preferred the sound and vocals before Joe Walsh joined the band. Randy Meisner added an element that wasn’t completely filled by Timothy Schmitt. Just my opinion, of course.
Your opinion, and mine.
Old 03-30-2021, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Of course this is completely subjective, but I think that of the groups named by the OP, only the Beatles were a better band. The Eagles were far better than all others mentioned. CSN and the Beach Boys probably closest on their heals. The Rolling Stones are by far the most overrated band of all time, in my opinion.
Completely agree re: the Stones, although I loved their sound during the Mick Taylor era...
Old 03-30-2021, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Next time, maybe use one of these.

It’s sometimes difficult to convey sarcasm in text.
Most normal people would recognize "OP should be flogged" as sarcasm.
Old 03-30-2021, 01:04 PM

Overrated might not be the best word, especially because we’re talking about art (subjective), but the OP’s question is valid. When I was very young, I had to play air guitar when the Hotel California solo came on the radio. Didn’t matter where I was or what I was doing (an interesting challenge when peeing, haha). The Greatest Hits album was among the first I bought. I loved Life in the Fast Lane and even New Kid in Town. As I got into other music in my mid teens, The Eagles started to seem a bit too polished and predictable for my taste. Very good musicians, very tuned in to the L.A. studio scene, but I always wanted to hear some grit and ugliness to balance out all the pretty. Nowadays, my opinion is that I probably would have had a greater appreciation of The Eagles and country rock in general if I’d grown up listening to country music, even a small amount of it. In my teenage years in the midwest, it was about as popular as doo-wop, surf music or Lawrence Welk.

Remember The Big Lebowski and how The Dude hates The Eagles? There’s a reason why so many of us thought that was hilarious.
Old 03-30-2021, 01:47 PM

Quote:

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 03-30-2021, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Just using the word 'flogged' is a dead giveaway.

If not, what century are you from?

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 03-31-2021, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Currie View Post
Just using the word 'flogged' is a dead giveaway.

If not, what century are you from?
Aye Matie!
Old 03-31-2021, 11:43 AM
Anticipation Junkie

It’s been my understanding that Glenn Frey was never really satisfied with the country rock sound of the original Eagles, wanting them to be more of a rock band. That prompted bringing Felder and Walsh on board. He/they succeeded, but it did cause the departure of Leadon and Meisner who didn’t care for that direction. Personally, I’m glad that we got to experience both iterations of the Eagles sound.
Old 03-31-2021, 12:30 PM
Charter Member

As previously mentioned, both Meisner and Schmidt did stints with Poco. Ironically, Schmidt replaced Meisner in both Poco and the Eagles. Meisner also was member of Ricky Nelson’s Stone Canyon Band. Then you consider that Bernie Leadon was a Flying Burito Brother, and you can see that the Eagles owe a lot to those bands in terms of influence. Have said that, I think the Eagles developed a more polished pop-type vibe, which eluded bands like Poco and the others previously mentioned, which equated to popular and financial success. They have their place and I do like them, but I revere Poco, the Flying Burrito Brothers and Rick Nelson, who IMO is truly underrated! The guy was an innovator and consummate provisional. Any artist that creates a music video can thank Rick Nelson
I would also add that I saw the original Eagles back in the day several times through the One Of These Nights tour and the were a tight band particularly with Leadon and Felder.
Spotify

FOR SALE:
MIKTEK CV4 Tube mic
Various Shock Mounts
2019 Alvarez ABT60 SHB-E Baritone guitar
Shoot me a PM if interested
Old 03-31-2021, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

Glad to see Poco getting some love here. I was a Poconut before that was a word

We have third row tickets to see Richie Furay's farewell concert, which has been postponed at least twice, now scheduled for November. It was supposed to be a farewell tour but you know what happened......

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN