The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-27-2021, 08:09 PM

Default Thuddy/hollow #6 over body.

Some guitars' #6 are clear all the way to the soundhole, some get boomy over the body. I tune to C on the #6 with .052, so that's a contributor, though, some guitars are ok with it, others aren't. A Martin D28 has no problem, clear all the way to the soundhole, but a Santa Cruz D/PW, the 15,16,17 frets are dull, the 19,20,21 frets clearer - the 20 and 21 happen to be over the cross brace in front of the soundhole.
Old 05-01-2021, 04:47 AM
Charter Member

Have you tried a bigger gauge when tuning down? Maybe try a 56. Me I don't ever get that far up the board on the low string. (20,21)
Old 05-01-2021, 05:32 AM

I've tried different gauges, having gone up and down, and .047 has given me the best result, works most times, improving definition over the body, but the occasional guitar is resistant to the change until I use Thomastik KR116, from my preferred phosphor bronze or 80/20. The Thomastik #6 has a classical characteristic, handling the low tuning of C much better than wound steel. It's a good fix, best paired with a micarta saddle, but expensive, and some of these guitars are at their very best with that extra zing of steel across all of the strings. I'm wondering if the hollow bass over the body on these guitars is only an issue with the low tuning, whereas tuning to standard, or close to it, is where these particular guitars are meant to be.
Old 05-01-2021, 04:57 PM
Charter Member

I have found some guitars are a little pitch indefinate up the neck on the two low strings. I have not noticed any patterns, as in an occasional problem with a particular tonewood or body size, and so on....
Old 05-01-2021, 07:33 PM

Indefinite showing on the tuner? When the batteries fade, I get some loose readings on the #6.

I just noticed that when I fret the #6 over the body, if I shift my plucking closer to the bridge, as close as an inch, the notes clarify enough for me to stay with the steels. Ok, I feel a little bit smarter now.
Old 05-02-2021, 01:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bax Burgess View Post
Indefinite showing on the tuner? When the batteries fade, I get some loose readings on the #6.

I just noticed that when I fret the #6 over the body, if I shift my plucking closer to the bridge, as close as an inch, the notes clarify enough for me to stay with the steels. Ok, I feel a little bit smarter now.
To my ear more than the tuner. Becomes more towards percusive than a note. Closer to the bridge sounds like a good fix.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair