The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-20-2020, 04:36 AM

Default Hello and Recommendations on Gig Bags?

Hello everyone! New here, and wanted to say a quick hello! I'm not so new to guitar but I'm still learning. I was self-taught, learned the basics in my teens and recently picked it up again now in my 30s and focusing now on fingerstyle guitar, which I have fallen in love with. Anyway I just bought a Yamaha FS800 (used.to play a dreadnought). So far I love the size and playability of my concert-size Yamaha.

Any gig bag recommendations? I don't even use the one I have for the dreadnought because it's too floppy and big, lol. Don't know what I was thinking back then!

Also, what do you all think about the non-standard looking ones? I hope this isn't a silly question, but do you think it looks tacky or too attention-grabbing? I'm obviously looking for durability and whether or not it's waterproof, etc but I like things with a bit of personality, lol. Like this one?

There's also a gray one I'm looking into, or this one:

https://www.amazon.com/CAHAYA-Upgrad...970438&sr=8-3#

Any opinions or recommendations would be highly appreciated!! Thanks!
Old 05-20-2020, 04:46 AM

Default Fusion

I have a Fusion gig bag that is fantastic. They are a British company. It’s a large bag that has very secure padding and can be adjusted to fit smaller guitars or a full dreadnought size guitar. The backpack straps are great and there are multiple pockets that have a ton of storage space big enough for a laptop or lots of music books, etc. Highly recommended.
Old 05-20-2020, 04:50 AM

I would shop Sweetwater and the actual music store sites rather than Amazon.

For everything, actually.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 05-20-2020, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OjaiAndrew View Post
I have a Fusion gig bag that is fantastic. They are a British company. It’s a large bag that has very secure padding and can be adjusted to fit smaller guitars or a full dreadnought size guitar. The backpack straps are great and there are multiple pockets that have a ton of storage space big enough for a laptop or lots of music books, etc. Highly recommended.
Ditto - darn good bags. Not many folks here know about them. And they are available in the US.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 05-20-2020, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lachinitaguitar View Post
Hello everyone! New here, and wanted to say a quick hello! I'm not so new to guitar but I'm still learning. I was self-taught, learned the basics in my teens and recently picked it up again now in my 30s and focusing now on fingerstyle guitar, which I have fallen in love with. Anyway I just bought a Yamaha FS800 (used.to play a dreadnought). So far I love the size and playability of my concert-size Yamaha.

Any gig bag recommendations? I don't even use the one I have for the dreadnought because it's too floppy and big, lol. Don't know what I was thinking back then!

Also, what do you all think about the non-standard looking ones? I hope this isn't a silly question, but do you think it looks tacky or too attention-grabbing? I'm obviously looking for durability and whether or not it's waterproof, etc but I like things with a bit of personality, lol. Like this one?

There's also a gray one I'm looking into, or this one:

https://www.amazon.com/CAHAYA-Upgrad...970438&sr=8-3#

Any opinions or recommendations would be highly appreciated!! Thanks!
Welcome to the Forum. I fell down the whole guitar rabbit hole earlier this month. Bought myself a Yamaha FS800, and Cahaya gig bag. The guitar size is a good fit for petite me.

I can not see the first picture or link you posted, but was able to click on the second link. Wish I would have looked at more Cahaha bags. Think I like that one better than my black bag. My guitar will shift some in the gig bag, but not like a ukulele would. If you would like measurements, or pictures, just ask. Measurements would be easier for me, but I can probably figure out pictures, if you prefer.
Old 05-20-2020, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
I would shop Sweetwater and the actual music store sites rather than Amazon.

For everything, actually.
...listen to murph....
Old 05-20-2020, 09:35 AM

I see I should have dug deeper on the Sweetwater site. Looked at gig bags, and probably cases too, but did not see anything specifically for this guitar. Now I stumble across its hard shell case. If I am still playing at Christmas, maybe my guitar will get a better travel home.
Old 05-20-2020, 09:36 AM

Welcome to the AGF!
Old 05-20-2020, 09:37 AM
Charter Member

Welcome to the forum! That's a great guitar you've got - I just recently bought another one. I have a gig bag that I never used that will fit it. Send me a private message if you are interested.

It's this one.
https://roadrunnercases.com/rr2om-or...uitar-gig-bag/
Old 05-21-2020, 12:11 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone! I’m looking into Sweetwater now...never ordered from them before but they do seem to have a good selection. Guitar center didn’t seem to have a good variety (or maybe I was just focused on browsing the guitars at the time). Also, I just got a few Amazon gift cards I wanted to use, so I gravitated toward Amazon, lol.

Here’s the bohemian one I was looking into. Sorry it didn’t come up in my post:

https://www.amazon.com/CAHAYA-Bohemi...0084480&sr=8-4
Old 05-21-2020, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music-N-Yarn View Post
Welcome to the Forum. I fell down the whole guitar rabbit hole earlier this month. Bought myself a Yamaha FS800, and Cahaya gig bag. The guitar size is a good fit for petite me.

I can not see the first picture or link you posted, but was able to click on the second link. Wish I would have looked at more Cahaha bags. Think I like that one better than my black bag. My guitar will shift some in the gig bag, but not like a ukulele would. If you would like measurements, or pictures, just ask. Measurements would be easier for me, but I can probably figure out pictures, if you prefer.

Hi! I know, the Yamaha FS800 makes me feel like I can actually play “okay”, lol. I’m 4’11” and my Yamaha dreadnought felt huge for me. Action was pretty high too.

The FS800 is 40.2” long, so I was looking into the gig bags for 39/40/41 inch guitars. Weird, though, because as the seller “upgraded” the bags to be thicker, the size also got bigger, which isn’t necessarily what everyone wants. I would have wanted a thicker (.5 in thick or more) bag, but not necessarily a larger size.

Do you remember what size you got?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-21-2020, 01:34 PM

Sweetwater has a nice case selection tool that knows about a lot of guitar models:

https://www.sweetwater.com/shop/case...itars_acoustic

Alternatively call and talk to them - their sales people have always been helpful to me and since this is a guitar they stock they should be able to help you find a fit.

Personally I’d look at some of their hard-sided bags (SKB, Gator, maybe Godin TRIC).
Old 05-21-2020, 04:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadWithNames View Post
Sweetwater has a nice case selection tool that knows about a lot of guitar models:

https://www.sweetwater.com/shop/case...itars_acoustic

Alternatively call and talk to them - their sales people have always been helpful to me and since this is a guitar they stock they should be able to help you find a fit.

Personally I’d look at some of their hard-sided bags (SKB, Gator, maybe Godin TRIC).
Great suggestions!

You also might want to check out the Musician’s Friend hardshell cases ($89, for better overall protection and humidity control). Carefully measure the FS800’s upper bout, lower bout, body length, total length (from base of body to top of headstock), and body depth, then go shopping. Both Sweetwater and MF list the INTERNAL dimensions of most their cases, so you want to look for something as close as possible to the FS800’s actual dimensions.
Old 05-21-2020, 04:55 PM

If you are interested in a hard case, Sweetwater sells Yamaha's case for the FS800 at $80: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...ic-guitar-case
Old 05-21-2020, 05:01 PM

Out of all the bags I own my favorite, by far is my Reunion Blues
Martin D-16e
Goldtone CCR100 Banjo
Fender Albert Hammond Jr. Strat
Fender Player limited edition Cherry Burst Strat
Fender Squire Classic Vibe Tele

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion