The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-21-2021, 09:43 PM

Default help finding adjustable bridge? and tuners

Hello there everyone i was lucky enough to get me hands on a 1963 Gibson j-45. I am trying to take it back to stock original condition. I am trying to find an Adjustable bridge with the screws and hardware. I would prefer the ceramic saddle type but beggars can't be choosers and any type would be great. I would also like a recommendation on where to get the original (type) deluxe Kluson tuners. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Old 06-22-2021, 12:11 AM

Allparts, Reverb.com and Luthiers Mercantile International (LMI) should all have the tuners. So should Stewart-MacDonald (StewMac.com.) I strongly recommend the Kluson copies made by Gotoh over other brands’ versions.

The adjustable bridge parts will be harder to find. Good luck on that.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 06-22-2021, 02:09 AM

Regarding saddles, a Japanese guitar store called Blue-g used to supply the ceramic saddles, but a quick look at their website seemed to only show the screws and tray as available.

Tusq make a replacement, and Hosco manufacture a bone one which can be obtained via Philadelphia Luthier https://www.philadelphialuthiertools...ustic-guitars/

Hope that gives you some options.
Clive.
Old 06-22-2021, 05:10 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantjudoman View Post
Hello there everyone i was lucky enough to get me hands on a 1963 Gibson j-45. I am trying to take it back to stock original condition. I am trying to find an Adjustable bridge with the screws and hardware. I would prefer the ceramic saddle type but beggars can't be choosers and any type would be great. I would also like a recommendation on where to get the original (type) deluxe Kluson tuners. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Here you go, although I'd forego putting that plastic bridge on.

https://reverb.com/item/32765996-vin..._source=google

HE
Old 06-22-2021, 07:19 AM
Charter Member

Your guitar and you can certainly do as you please with it, but there's a good reason so many of those old Gibsons had the bridges replaced. Those adjustable bridges sucked tone from the guitar in a big way. Going back to one of those bridges is going to make your guitar sound worse.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 06-22-2021, 07:20 AM

If you're trying to bring it back to original stock for resale value, go for it. Ebay may be your friend.

If it's just a player for you, many find a solid saddle (with wood inlay to hold it) an improvement in tone.

Enjoy that old Gibson!
Old 06-22-2021, 08:28 AM

Many poo-poo the ADJ saddle bridges because it does not meet their notion of how a proper bridge is made. And there is no argument they do impact the way vibration is transferred to the top. But they also increase the attack you hear giving the guitar a bit more sustain while giving the guitar a dose of metallic overtones which some like. But I also think those bolted on hollow plastic bridges were one of the worst ideas Gibson ever came up with.

The one thing you need to check though before you get involved in converting the guitar back to its original self is the bridge plate. While it is not always done some who have the ADJ saddle bridge removed also go ahead and have the oversized laminate bridge plate swapped out for a traditional size maple one. Gibson's engineers obviously thought this is what it took the support the considerably heavier ADJ bridges.

Also I do not see where the saddle material figures in. I have owned a '61 and '63 B45-12 and went saddles made with materials other than what the guitar came with. The only difference is that in my '61 the saddle (which in this case was wood) and underlying metal plate female/male grooved to fit together, Later versions were flat. But LMI sells a Gibson ADJ bone saddle which might be worth checking into. That is what I went with.

Here is what that in my '61 looks like. I do not recall what the '63 had as I sold it many years ago. However, a flat bottom saddle will work if you do not use the metal plate.

Old 06-22-2021, 12:24 PM

Forget the tuners. The originals would have been three on a plate single line "Kluson Deluxe" with a patent stamp on the bottom of each tuner. Repros are readily available but if it has to be originals try eBay. They are very common so not hard to find.

I have been playing old Gibsons for over half a century. And my take on it is if the part is not original to the guitar it does not generally matter whether you go with something new or OEM parts. In the case of tuners I would go with a repro. They will work better.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion