The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 06-21-2021, 08:02 PM

Default My Last Question About Acoustic Panels

Thank you all who have helped me in my quest for acoustic panels. From trying to make my own, order online, and buying used locally....you have all been a great help.

I finally found what I believe is what I need locally....Each panel is 4ft x 2ft x 5.5”... Each panel uses two 2” thick pieces of OC703 and then theres an additional 1.5” air gap to firther reduce reflections...

My question is: How many should I purchase?

My recording space is a carpet bedroom which is basically a rectangle, with a small entryway leading to the bedroom door. 14ftx11ft with 10ft ceilings. Only thing in the room is my desk/keyboard/computer (Its almost empty because I use it for virtual reality)

Thanks for the help!
Old 06-21-2021, 08:38 PM
Charter Member

My room is about the same dimensions length and width with 8ft ceilings. I'd say I have about 35% of the walls and ceiling covered. 2"X2'X4' on the ceiling and 4"X4'X2' on the walls. Seems to do the job.

Four more added panels since this picture:

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

Last edited by rick-slo; 06-21-2021 at 08:55 PM. Reason: typos
Old 06-21-2021, 08:48 PM

Thanks for the quick reply...I'm going to go ahead and just buy all 9 that are available
Old 06-21-2021, 09:35 PM

I have 9 2'x4' panels on the walls in my small studio room (10'x11')--Three on the back wall, two each on side walls with one of those being at the "first reflection" point, and two on the front wall, so nine is not too many!

Then I also have 6" deep by 18" wide bass traps floor to ceiling in three of the four corners (last corner has a door), plus several free-standing panels I can move around for tracking.
Old 06-21-2021, 09:50 PM

Thanks Chipotle!
Old 06-21-2021, 09:51 PM
Charter Member

I'd want at least 8, so yeah, buy all nine if you're getting a deal.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 06-22-2021, 07:28 AM
Charter Member

As an additional thought (and maybe you already knew this)

In a rectangle the ideal desired position for your listening position at the mixing desk is generally considered to be approximately in a 2/3 to 1/3 position in the room as pictured below (and not right up against a wall )

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 06-22-2021, 09:06 AM

Front and rear wall corners (floor to ceiling) should be the first spot for them. Then point of first reflection on each side wall. If your monitors have rear-firing bass ports and are near the front wall, you would want traps behind them too.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 06-22-2021, 05:04 PM
Charter Member

Default Aloha Johnny - Buy All Nine Absorbers!

Aloha Johnnydobbers,

Yes, I would buy all nine of those panels, which read like they'll be perfect for controlling early reflections in your small room, or any room.

At 5.5" thick, I assume that these broadband absorbers will be self-standing, which gives you another option - to NOT permanently mount the panels to the walls & ceilings, like rick-slo's picture shows. But locate them around you & just store as needed.

You can actually create a "room within a room" alignment with nine absorbers in your tracking area: two in a "V" behind the mic's, two on each side, two behind you, & one above where you play, if necessary. That's worked in every space I've used my portable treatment in. Best of all, their portability allows you to store them when not in use & use the room for whatever you wish. Note: Use hardwire to link them together if they are not great at self-standing. Locate with an SPL meter & then place them around the sweetspot in your room.

You can vary the space between the absorbers to let in more or less room for different effects in your recordings.

I made nine absorbers at first. Then, I had to treat the area where I edited, mixed, & mastered the tracks. So I made more absorbers for behind the monitors, above & to the sides of my desk.

Finally, I made a more absorbers to act as bass traps across the four corners of my space, from floor to ceiling, essentially treating the room. I made 22 absorbers in all over a few years as my ears improved & my need for more arose from that. $aved a lot of money & it wasn't hard to do at all. They look a lot like rick-slo's absorbers (covered with white burlap). My main space was larger than yours, though.

I needed to use my space for most other activities (like living), so treating & storing this way worked perfectly for many years. I still have them & loan them out to other Island players who home DAW record as well.

So yeah, Johnny, buy 'em all! It will make a huge difference in your recordings as your skills & ears improve. Then you can concentrate on planning & putting together your Dream compatible recording signal chain - of equal high-quality parts - that will help you achieve the best recordings possible.

I'm excited for you, johnnyjobbers, because I remember how much of a huge difference adequate Room Treatment finally made for my recordings, perhaps the most dramatic of all.

Good Luck, my friend!

alohachris

Last edited by alohachris; 06-22-2021 at 05:18 PM.
Old 06-22-2021, 07:42 PM

I am super excited too. I have never had a proper recording setup other than a webcam and and old 4track with crappy dynamic mics. I've been playing 30 years!

My signal chain: 30 years experience playing-Fraulini or 1938 Martin 00-21- matched pair of shure ksm137 that I got from SprintBob-RME Babyface 1st Gen-Cubase

The last thing I need are studio monitors, however I live in an apartment....still debating to get a pair of hs5s(I have a subwoofer), hs8s, or just mix on headphones for now....I'd be mixing on my seinheisser hd650s that is powered by a schiit vali2 hybrid tube amp...

But seriously, thanks for all the help guys. I really feel I have the talent to create some wonderful recordings and I look forward to sharing them with you.

Here are the panels I am picking up on Sunday. Snagged all 9 for 300 bucks
https://denver.craigslist.org/for/d/...339223619.html
Old 06-22-2021, 08:45 PM
Charter Member

I suggest this book.
I read it before I set up my recording space and though I did not (could not afford to) follow every suggestion to a “T” , I was able to improve upon what I originally was going to do. It is a great read for the home studio enthusiast.

https://www.amazon.com/Acoustic-Desi.../dp/159863285X

Here is a before and after shot of my set up. A lot of work went into decoupling the ceiling and installing six inches of rock wool before the sheet rock went up (more for room isolation then sound absorption). I wanted to keep a somewhat live sound so I did some experimenting with panel placement. There are 10 more panels identical to the ceiling panels strategically placed around the 12 x 20 room. The corner and ceiling base traps (which were homemade) made a huge difference. The desk has moved about another foot into the room.

The 2 square defusers are more for show then function.

Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat

Last edited by Mbroady; 06-22-2021 at 09:29 PM.
Old 06-23-2021, 07:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbroady View Post
I suggest this book.
I read it before I set up my recording space and though I did not (could not afford to) follow every suggestion to a “T” , I was able to improve upon what I originally was going to do. It is a great read for the home studio enthusiast.

https://www.amazon.com/Acoustic-Desi.../dp/159863285X

Here is a before and after shot of my set up. A lot of work went into decoupling the ceiling and installing six inches of rock wool before the sheet rock went up (more for room isolation then sound absorption). I wanted to keep a somewhat live sound so I did some experimenting with panel placement. There are 10 more panels identical to the ceiling panels strategically placed around the 12 x 20 room. The corner and ceiling base traps (which were homemade) made a huge difference. The desk has moved about another foot into the room.

The 2 square defusers are more for show then function.
Very cool great job

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 06-25-2021, 05:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Very cool great job
Thanks. I’m happy with the sonic quality of the room and what the mic is picking up. Now I just need to get my playing and singing up to snuff. Almost there.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD