The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 06-16-2021, 05:15 PM

Default Seagull S6 Bridge?

Has anybody replaced the bridge on an S6? I just bought one that had the bridge lifting, and the bridge is also cracked between the pin holes. It looks like the Stew Mac bridge, as well as most generic replacement bridges will work, other than the Seagull bridge having more material in front of the saddle.

On the Stew Mac bridge dimensions diagram, they show 18.25mm between the front of the pin hole to the front of the bridge. On my Seagull, it measures about 21mm.

It appears from the pictures that on the Stew Mac bridge there's less material forward of the saddle, which would account for the difference I'm measuring, but I'd like to be sure before I buy the bridge if I can help it. I'm not thrilled with the idea of a big bare spot in front of my bridge, but I'll live with that if everything else is OK.

Last edited by Jim85IROC; 06-16-2021 at 05:54 PM.
Old 06-16-2021, 07:12 PM

I suggest contacting the manufacturer about getting an exact replacement.
Old 06-16-2021, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
I suggest contacting the manufacturer about getting an exact replacement.
Thanks. I emailed them and I'll see what they have to say.
Old 06-17-2021, 07:44 PM

Seagull got back to me and pointed me to their Godin page for the bridge. At $15, it was surprisingly affordable. I ordered one. I'll see how it compares to the cheap ones I ordered from Ebay yesterday.
Old 06-18-2021, 04:47 PM

There are lots of YouTube videos on re- gluing a bridge. I used a special bridge clamp that I got for about $20. It was my fist time and I am not very mechanical. It turned out good. Just remember to use the proper type of glue. I am glad you found a bridge so easily. BTW, I got the exact same calipers that you got from Harbor Freight.
Old 06-18-2021, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdmind View Post
There are lots of YouTube videos on re- gluing a bridge. I used a special bridge clamp that I got for about $20. It was my fist time and I am not very mechanical. It turned out good. Just remember to use the proper type of glue. I am glad you found a bridge so easily. BTW, I got the exact same calipers that you got from Harbor Freight.
Yeah, they're perfect for quick & dirty measurements. I have a Sterrett for stuff that matters, but the HF job is great for my 3d prints and anything not requiring precision to a thousandth of an inch.

My clamps are coming from HF too. They have 5" deep throat clamps for $6 each. My local store only had 1, so I'll grab 3 more this weekend when I go to my in-laws.

I looked at the bridge clamp tools, but I think I can accomplish the same thing with 4 of the HF clamps and a couple wedges. If not I'll make up my own bridge clamp.
Old 06-29-2021, 11:22 AM

well, that was a bust. The bridge that Godin sold me has the bridge pin holes aligned at an angle, not parallel with the back of the bridge like the original Seagull bridge. Unfortunately, the cheap Ebay bridges I bought are also like that.
Old 06-29-2021, 12:51 PM

Sounds like your option is to either plug and redrill the bridge pin holes. If the footprint of the new bridge is the same and the saddle slot is correct, that would be easiest. Or have a luthier duplicate your original bridge.
Old 06-29-2021, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnjp View Post
Sounds like your option is to either plug and redrill the bridge pin holes. If the footprint of the new bridge is the same and the saddle slot is correct, that would be easiest. Or have a luthier duplicate your original bridge.
There are other bridges with straight pin slots, including the Stew Mac bridges. I may also be able to reuse the original bridge. I glued the split and clamped it into my vice, then flattened the bottom on my belt sander. My new saddle has more than enough height for me to dial in the action properly, and I *think* that with a proper glue-up that there should be enough glue area behind the bridge pins to keep the back of the bridge down this time.
Old 06-30-2021, 12:41 AM

You will have a nice guitar once you are done.
Old 07-02-2021, 08:53 PM

How did it all turn out?
Old 07-04-2021, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
Yeah, they're perfect for quick & dirty measurements. I have a Sterrett for stuff that matters
I believe you mean Starrett. I had to correct you only because I worked there in Athol, MA for a while before I moved to FL. 😁😁 ( wife too)
I have Starrett tools and Harbor freight as well. Each has their place in the shop.
Good luck with your bridge replacement, lots of good advice here.
2004 Taylor 214
2011 Taylor GC4
1964 Fender Stratocaster
1965 Fender Jazz Bass
Fender Twin Reverb

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair